Fast foiling techniques?!?!pls help me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hi everyone, ok, im starting to get really frustrated with myself as i am becoming so SLOW at foiling!!!:grr::cry:Im a mobile hairdresser so i get lots of colours all at one time then nothing for a few weeks so i think its were i'm getting a bit rusty, but sometimes i can do them realitivly quick, but as an example, yesterday i did a full head foil, alternate of 2 colours on med-thick shoulder length hair, in total it took me 3 and a bit hours with a cbd and development time, i think all in all the foiling took me about an hour and 20mins!!!!:eek:Is it me or is that ridiculously slow???I used to be quicker in the salon.

Anyway getting to the point I really need to speed up and use less foil and less product to save money, plus i think taking this long is going to really annoy my clients and i may even lose them, so any quick foiling techniques?tips on how to do a full head of half head using half the foils???
Anything you got will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much,
Laura :hug:

I'm not a hairdresser but two things sprung to mind as a mobile beauty therapist, are you chatting too much with the client and are you set up so that everything is close at hand and you're not wasting time going back and forward to your things?:hug:

Hmmmm yeah thats a good point, I do chat to them but after such a long time sometimes the chit chat kind of ends and so i just get on with what im doing untill i've finished that part of the service, but then i have to say i never stop moving, i dont stop what im doing when im chatting and i dont think i slow down...but i will pay more attention to that...
and sometimes my kit is a bit far away but not much as i normally use a little stand but yesterday it was pretty near apart from on one side so that could be it.
Its jsut so frustrating!!!!think i'll have to practise on the old dolls head :lol:

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!!
much appreciated xxx

You're welcome. Well you know what they say practice makes perfect. I'm sure your clients appreciate the good job you do for them. I'd rather my stylist took longer than rushed and made a mistake. Maybe you're just being really thorough! :hug:

To be honest, I dont think thats slow at all for a full head of foils, 3 and a bit hours isnt bad timing for the work you`ve done. If your work looks good I wouldnt worry. By cutting down on colour an foil you would be compromising your standard of work.

Hey hun yeh i think three hours for full head cut and blowdry is about what it takes me plus when people go in the salon for the works it is usualy three hours. I i find for some reason im having to reach for products when going round the clients head I ask them to move position slightly left or right being mobile u have to sometimes compremise because there may not be much space in the clients house etc!! I find that it takes the longest when the client wants the kind of all over color effect but with loads of little thin foils all over. If they want it chunky/slightly stripey it takes less time becasue the foils have a bigger gap between them..do u no what i mean lol xxxxx:hug:

yeah basically what has been said above, if i ever do someones hair at home i take a bit longer, one because im havin to move around and dont have a trolley etc, two because the phone goes or some one comes to the door, three because i dont have the added bonus of a climo, four because i have to lean them over a bath to rinse. . . theirs alot of stuff goin on their, but i also agree with the post above, you cant really try and speed up by reducing the foil and colour because it will change the look the client has come to expect. . .x

Hey guys, thank you all for your feed back, phew, so i can stop panicking i'm not slow!:lol: and i see what you mean about using less foil and colour, it would prob only make it look like half a job which is not me, everyone seems to want tiny natural weaves very delicate but loads of them, nice look but very time consuming, good job i love doing it. :green:

Thanks again guys!!:)xxx

Hi Miss Lou

Practice practice practice!!! Have a look at our website we've currently got 73 online training videos and we've actually just filmed basic foiling techniques on blocks. Its definitely worth honing your technique and developing your skills which can only make you better and more successful.

If washing the clients hair over a bath is difficult and time consuming also it might be worth investing in a portable backwash I think you can get them from about £50.

Best of luck

MHD x x x

Hey i saw you mentioned about practicing on your doll head i did that just with really cheap sainsburys basic conditioner and foil and got loadsa practise in for under a pound plus i took a look at my section weaving time, got in my mind when i first start how far apart and how big the highlites would be then gradually get faster and faster defo lots of practise :)

x AMY x

Latest posts

Back