feeling a little in the dumps

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailz4lyfe

Reaction score
hi you all........

just feeling a little in the dumps after a conversation yesterday with a prospective employer........i quit a job after 3 years, and in the process, i had a few clients who recommended that i check out a few places, you know, to make sure i was going to get paid for my services instead of working in factory-type situations (i worked for a major salon chain)........anyway, i followed the advice of a few of my clients and went to check out this one salon/day spa in the area not far from where i worked previously........well, got there, and lo and behold, the place is gorgeous! the owner was very nice and professional, and she was very interested in having me come work there, even offering to pay me more than the average techs there were making........i told her that i would think about it and give her a call, but on the way back to the area where she had me fill out an application, i could overhear several of the stylists "whispering" and wanting to know where i was coming from and what i wanted, and not being nice about it and even staring a hole through me.......the owner, like i said, was exceptionally nice, but for some reason, i found myself being lured out of the door by some of the comments and questions i was hearing.......needless to say, i ran into a lady some weeks earlier who suggested (since she had worked at the same place i was leaving) that i booth rent and that i should take it into consideration.......well, as the weeks wore on, i considered it strongly, and actually the experience at that particular salon mentioned earlier swayed my decision to go with the booth rental........so with the support of family and friends........

ok, the story in a nutshell.......had a girl that i worked with in the other salon who offered to get my clients' info if i just brought her in the names.......so i write down at least 50 right off the bat and take them to her.......a week goes by and i hear nothing, so i call but she doesn't answer........finally, she waits until the week before i'm to start my business to call and tell me that she wasn't able to get any of the names, and sorry!!!! OMG......so i manage to get some of my clients' info and mail flyers, coupons, etc........business for my first week out is awesome!!!!! looking good!!!!

ok, well, here's where it gets interesting......the lady that i'm booth renting from used to work with the owner of the salon that i interviewed with some weeks earlier.....i did not mention to her who i had interviewed with, because we are from a small town and word travels fast.....i just went on to say that i turned down some offers because i didn't feel comfortable with some of the places that i had interviewed at.......needless to say, the owner i rent from had nothing but nice things to say about the lady that i interviewed with, and she actually sounded proud of her for being the businesswoman she is and i was under the impression they were really good friends.....

well, i get off work on Saturday, and my home phone rings......IT WAS THE OWNER OF THE SALON/DAY SPA!!!! she went on about how she just hadn't found the time to call me, blah, blah, blah......i just "honestly" told her that i was kinda burnt out on doing nails and such after my last experience and she went on to kinda "encourage" me not to be "discouraged", so on and so forth.......when she asked what i ultimately decided to do and i told her, she didn't just settle for the fact that i was booth renting, she wanted to know who from! i didn't tell her, i just gave the location, and waddaya know--this lady figures out right off the bat who i'm renting from and commences to slam the owner and was totally trying to get me to give up on the idea of booth renting, stating that the government is going to crack down on booth renters and that i'm not going to be able to get away with this, get away with that (i have no idea what she means and i didn't ask), and that she's going to give me a month before i give up on the whole idea of booth rental.......she was talking about how people don't like going to backwoods salons and that people don't want to travel back roads to get to a salon for a service, etc, etc (however, we're located on the main thoroughfare).....so i was just trying to change the subject a bit and i told her that i didn't get any of my clients' info and that i felt awkward by telling her that i had a strong client following but then after not getting the info i didn't feel comfortable coming there without bringing something to the table.....she did not care because she had a clientele waiting for me!!! what i did manage to figure out from the conversation is that she had thoroughly checked me out, because she actually commented on how good i am at doing nails and pedicures and that she is actually willing to take the gamble on me (she is willing to pay close to $8/hr), even going out on a limb and buying WHATEVER brand of acrylic systems and well as manicuring and pedicuring systems i use.....basically, she has encouraged me to go on with the booth rental, but i'm in a funk over how she slammed the lady that i rent from.....i don't want to say anything to her, but this is just really getting to me.........didn't mean to write a book, but any suggestions?

well! how lovely to be wanted! and wanted so badly that she's willing to try anything to get you. But Hun, The question to ask your self is, are you happy booth renting? if the answer to that is yes then why change? And I personaly would be inclined to stick with the person who hasn't been slagging of anyone, which if I read it right is the person you booth rent from. And doesn't this meen you are your own boss?
What ever happens I hope you are happy and succsesful.:lol:

Dont worry about small minded ignorant people like her and dont let her sway any of your decisions, you go with what you feel comfortable with, word will soon get around as to where your working from and the clients that wish to continue with your services will soon find out where you are and will slowly come back to you, do some flyers with your details stating where you previously worked and that way your reputation will follow you and so will a lot of your old clients, good luck hun and dont let them get you down they dont sound worth it :hug:

Thank You Both So Much! one of the main reasons i didn't respond to the job offer was that the owner really didn't know what products were used to do nails.......she could show me her full line of OPI pedicuring, but she actually had no idea other than backscratchers (which she uses) what was being used for enhancements.....i do feel i'm better off where i am, that way i don't have to worry with the stresses of someone breathing down my back or constantly looking over my shoulder......i feel more than welcome and at home where i am, and i've only worked two days total and made $200!!!! so i feel good in that aspect, but i honestly don't know how to get her comments about this owner i rent from away from me......i know she's going to call back, so what should i say?

I would call her and say thank you so much for showing such a positive interest in me, but I have found that I like being my own boss, being able to come and go as I please and when it suits me is just what I needed, I've taken on board what you said about my landlady and will bear it in mind with all my dealings with her.

Just thank her for her offer and tell her for the time been you feel comfortable where you are so would like to try and make a go of it by yourself, if she starts slagging down this other person just tell her that whatever problems she may have encountered with her are really none of your business and you would like to keep it that way as you are the type of person that prefers to get to know some body before making judgement on them and if she carrys on slagging her off just make the excuse of you will have to go now as your client has just come in or you have a client on hold and you need to take the call :hug:

Latest posts

Back