Feeling deflated, I want to get going!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NourishedNails

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I need some advice, straight talking or just a virtual hug lol... We have just moved house, a new area, hubby is in the army and he is going away A LOT here and off to Afghan AGAIN next year :(' damn him being so good at his job (fixes computers) and always in demand. We have 2 little girls who are our world, 4 and 2.

I am struggling to do my job/passion as I have no available time. I don't get them to sleep till 8.30/9 at night so can't do them then. Weekends, I am on my own with the girls so no time to do nails then. I only have Wed and Thurs mornings when the girls are at nursery... I can not do them with my girls here as I don't think it is professional nor fair on them. My family are 3 hours away and I have made a few friends here already but they have jobs and families too so can't expect them to babysit for me. Plus my kids will not be babysat by anyone they don't know and trust (fair enough as I would not a stranger sitting them)

I trained in gel polish's in June so I have not been in this industry long but I adore it, have added kooky wraps to my menu too but gelish is by far the more popular and all my clients have been happy bunnys which is ace.

I just wanted a little winge as I pride myself on doing a good job, having the best products and I am not getting the time to do the nails. Hubby winges when I buy products (That I need!!!) as I only have done a few clients since moving house (although I have only been here 3 weeks so that is not all bad!!)

I want to get my name out there and advertise etc but feel like I am barely giving them any options for appts so I am stalling advertising. I am lucky to have already got a regular and she doesn't work so my times suit her so at least I have one reg client ;)

I know I can't expect to be a fully fledged professional with a mega client base etc but I want to get going...

Just looking for some support I guess, this forum has helped me no end. Hubby just tells me I will get there, bless him.

xxxxxxx

Coming to you would be a great option for a mum with a little one - can you not set up somewhere where you and your client can see the little ones playing/watching cartoons on the telly? It would take longer to do someone's nails but most nail places aren't suitable for children - could you target this audience?

Your eldest daughter is four but not yet in school, starting next september im guessing? Not much help but 3-4yr olds are entitled to 15 hours free childcare a week. Its only half day every day but could help keep childcare costs down if you wanted to throw yourself in at the deep end! Plus you could get up to I think its 80% off taxcredits for childcare if you are eligible.

Sorry im not much use, putting them in nursery is the only logical option I can think of. Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Not much help but 3-4yr olds are entitled to 15 hours free childcare a week. Its only half day every day but could help keep childcare costs down if you wanted to throw yourself in at the deep end! Plus you could get up to I think its 80% off taxcredits for childcare if you are eligible.

Sorry im not much use, putting them in nursery is the only logical option I can think of. Hth xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Some places will allow you to split those 15 free hours. You could do 2 full days and one half day or do 1 full day and 3 half days or all half days. Even if you do all half days you could see one or two people a day. I hope something works out for you. :)

Thanks for replies, yes my 4 year old does her hours but its my 2 year old that's hard work ;) she's quite clingy...

In the past its not worked that well with the little ones but I should give it another go as your right it would target that audience that find it hard (like me) to get childcare or have hubbies home to look after them ;) xx

Hi im in the exact same position as you my girls are 5,3 & 2, we are in Wales (infantry battle school) and from Glasgow so my family are 8 hrs away, hubby does 13 wk courses and we never see him during this time, and done 2 tours in the past 3.5 yrs and due another in march,,

Please don't feel alone, feel free to pm me and rant take care 💐

I will

Sorry couldn't delete I will

I tend to do hair during the day with the kids about or at night they go down at 7, most of the wives I do have kids as well so it's no hassle, but I get a bit fed up doing hair with 5 kids being hyper so recently been doing it at night.

Hi im in the exact same position as you my girls are 5,3 & 2, we are in Wales (infantry battle school) and from Glasgow so my family are 8 hrs away, hubby does 13 wk courses and we never see him during this time, and done 2 tours in the past 3.5 yrs and due another in march,,

Please don't feel alone, feel free to pm me and rant take care 💐

I will

Oh hun sounds as ****e as us, well even ****er!!! Same as you pm me if you want to chat. Is hard work! My girls are 4 and 2 and that is hard and you have 3 tiddlers, I will try to do it on my child free mornings but will offer other times for mums with kiddies then they can all play xx

Have u started going to a play group?

Yes I am breastfeeding peer supporter and I am helping run a group nearby so that is helping get me out :) I am going to be taking on peer supporter work too which will take up more of my time but I love supporting mums so I will not begrudge it.

I will get there, one step at a time I guess I am just damn impatient ;) xx

A little update.. Had a few more clients and more appointments made too... Trying out doing a ladies with her baby coming too soon so fingers x it's on the up. Perspective clients have been fab, very understanding. Thanks again for the support geeks. x

Latest posts

Back