Feeling deflated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrslamps

Reaction score
Had a client who came in for her makeup.
Done it and she said she was happy- then 20mins later she messaged me saying she toned the eyes down as they were a little to dark for her.
Told her she could have let me know and I would have toned them down no problem- offered her a refund but still feeling poop. Been doing makeup a long time but now feel like just giving up- this lady is also in the same wedding circuits as me so don't want her to critique me in a bad light to other suppliers :(

Don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure it was discussed in her consultation what look she wanted to achieve, and she said she was happy with it before she left - you can't do any more than that. It was generous of you to offer her a refund, I probably would have offered her a percentage off her next treatment, if at all. Some people find it difficult to put their opinion across face-to-face if they don't like something, or they change their mind afterwards (it's a woman's perogative!) or if their partner dislikes it when they get home (she probably looked too hot for his liking!). Who knows what her reason was but I'd think twice about offering a refund to anyone in the future, but I wouldn't worry about her putting a spanner in the works with the wedding circuits - remember you can please some of the people some of the time but not all off the people all of the time! Chin up and keep smiling xx

Last edited:
Had a client who came in for her makeup.
Done it and she said she was happy- then 20mins later she messaged me saying she toned the eyes down as they were a little to dark for her.
Told her she could have let me know and I would have toned them down no problem- offered her a refund but still feeling poop. Been doing makeup a long time but now feel like just giving up- this lady is also in the same wedding circuits as me so don't want her to critique me in a bad light to other suppliers :(

Cheer up! Your a MUA not a psychic! Its not your fault she wasnt specific on what she wanted, as you say, if she had said its too dark you would have sorted it. Would not be offering a refund, if people get wind of it they will all be texting after a make up they are happy with trying their luck for a refund! There are alot worse things that could have been said about your work, so take pride in the fact you are doing all of those right xx

Sent from my LG-E430 using SalonGeek mobile app

You wanna give up after one negative comment? Don't let it get to you, I'm sure you did a great job but you can't please everyone! :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is SO normal, so you mustn't give up! You are going to get people who are not happy no matter what you do, that goes for any profession when you are dealing with the public.

It sounds like the lady wasn't really fair to you as she said she was happy before she left you, therefore not giving you a chance to rectify any problem she may have had. Also texting you later is a bit silly, what does she expect you to do about it then?

If she 'gossips' to other suppliers in your area, she is not very professional is she?

Put it down to experience and move on to your next client. You will probably get many people like that throughout your career. That's life! It doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong.

Best wishes x

So, you did the treatment, the client was happy, paid you and left.
What changed in the space of 20 minutes?

She may have looked at herself too much in the car mirror (not a flattering look at all)! Or looked at herself in her normal mirror at home and realised that she wasn't confident enough to carry off the eye makeup after all (bearing in mind that she only said darkness - not the look).

Regardless of the reason, she changed her mind. Its a woman's prerogative - it's no big deal and not your fault.

After receiving her text, the fact that your not physic is now bothering you and making you question your makeup career? Do not over think this, it simply is not your fault that she changed her mind when she left and not a reason to bad mouth you to anyone.

At the end of the day she didn't have a problem with the foundation, brows, lips, lashes, cheeks or anything else, just that the eyes were a bit too dark for her.

I personally wouldn't have offered any refund or discount as whatever happened between her leaving and her text is not your problem.

Latest posts

Back