Feeling discouraged

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patty-cake

Reaction score
I don't know where to begin but all I know is that I am feeling overwhelmed.

In October of last year I took a Young Nails one week course on acrylics. I learned a lot and I felt confident enough to work at a nail salon.

So in March of this year I began working at a nail salon and prior to this I really had no experience with nail enhancements on other people. I explained this to the salon owner but asked her to give me an opportunity to learn. She agreed to hire me and to help me work on my acrylics.

I started off doing regular manis and pedis and moved on to gel polish manis and pedis. Then she asked me to do a set of acrylics on her. I was hesitant because all the girls said that she doesn't compensate you for your work, mind you I work on commission. So I took off her old set, sculpted a new set, and polished, chromed and blinged her nails out. She never sat still long enough for me finish my work. I missed out on walk in clients for her and it took me almost the entire day to finish and all she gave me was a measly $40 usd. Her reason because I used her products.

So ever since I've been put off by her and don't want to do her nails. Anyway she said I was ready to do full sets and she kept complimenting my work and even told me that I've been the first one to ever make her thumbnails look good as she has clubbed thumbs.

A few weeks later someone else did her fill and tried to reshape her nails from coffin to almond. Three days after she comes back to me that a nail popped off and she didn't like the way the other tech did her nails so she wanted me to fix the broken nail and "just do a polish change on the rest". Well a polish change turned into a gel polish and stone removal, file down, reshape and nail fix. I did not get to polish her nails because I had a client come in so someone else polished her nails for her. But for all the work I did she only gave me $10. I spoke to her in private and told her I no longer want to do her nails as I work off commission and even if it's her products it's still my time and effort. She got upset and started yelling at me.

Anyway fast forward to now she has told the receptionist to not book any acrylic appointments for me bc my work is not good and I need more practice so now I'm stuck doing only pedicures. I spoke with the co-owner, her boyfriend and he said he would talk to her.

Today he takes me aside to speak with me and says that they can't have me doing fills yet I need more practice and yadayadayada. So basically he's going along with her.

My thing is there's another girl working there that has never touched acrylic in her life and we started at the same time and yet they allowed her to do fills and now she's doing full sets. I'm not being jealous but her work is not great yet they have no problem letting her practice on paying customers but somehow it's an issue with me to do the same.

I feel like she's being vindictive because I stood up for myself when everyone else just sucks it up and does her nails. Am I wrong? Are her reasons valid and warrant what she's paying me? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anyway thank you if you made it this far. I know it was long but any advice would help.

100% you are not wrong at all, you stood up for yourself and good on you! You can charge what you want for nails, and her just offering whatever she feels like is not on. You have spoken to her and her boyfriend and they seem so unprofessional! I don't really know what to suggest other than perhaps looking for another place of work/going mobile? Are you friendly with the receptionist? perhaps you could have a word with her and explain what is going on and ask for her to book you clients in. Or how about if you sourced your own clients? Does your boss pay you a wage or are you self-employed paying her a % of your earnings? xx

Move salons.

I second this. At my old place the manager took advantage and when I spoke up for myself she took from me and put me down. I put up with it for a few months and then I plucked up the courage to leave.

I don't know where to begin but all I know is that I am feeling overwhelmed.

In October of last year I took a Young Nails one week course on acrylics. I learned a lot and I felt confident enough to work at a nail salon.

So in March of this year I began working at a nail salon and prior to this I really had no experience with nail enhancements on other people. I explained this to the salon owner but asked her to give me an opportunity to learn. She agreed to hire me and to help me work on my acrylics.

I started off doing regular manis and pedis and moved on to gel polish manis and pedis. Then she asked me to do a set of acrylics on her. I was hesitant because all the girls said that she doesn't compensate you for your work, mind you I work on commission. So I took off her old set, sculpted a new set, and polished, chromed and blinged her nails out. She never sat still long enough for me finish my work. I missed out on walk in clients for her and it took me almost the entire day to finish and all she gave me was a measly $40 usd. Her reason because I used her products.

So ever since I've been put off by her and don't want to do her nails. Anyway she said I was ready to do full sets and she kept complimenting my work and even told me that I've been the first one to ever make her thumbnails look good as she has clubbed thumbs.

A few weeks later someone else did her fill and tried to reshape her nails from coffin to almond. Three days after she comes back to me that a nail popped off and she didn't like the way the other tech did her nails so she wanted me to fix the broken nail and "just do a polish change on the rest". Well a polish change turned into a gel polish and stone removal, file down, reshape and nail fix. I did not get to polish her nails because I had a client come in so someone else polished her nails for her. But for all the work I did she only gave me $10. I spoke to her in private and told her I no longer want to do her nails as I work off commission and even if it's her products it's still my time and effort. She got upset and started yelling at me.

Anyway fast forward to now she has told the receptionist to not book any acrylic appointments for me bc my work is not good and I need more practice so now I'm stuck doing only pedicures. I spoke with the co-owner, her boyfriend and he said he would talk to her.

Today he takes me aside to speak with me and says that they can't have me doing fills yet I need more practice and yadayadayada. So basically he's going along with her.

My thing is there's another girl working there that has never touched acrylic in her life and we started at the same time and yet they allowed her to do fills and now she's doing full sets. I'm not being jealous but her work is not great yet they have no problem letting her practice on paying customers but somehow it's an issue with me to do the same.

I feel like she's being vindictive because I stood up for myself when everyone else just sucks it up and does her nails. Am I wrong? Are her reasons valid and warrant what she's paying me? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Anyway thank you if you made it this far. I know it was long but any advice would help.

It seems like if things don't go her way she stands in your way of success!
It sounds like your better off out of their. I mean how are you possibly supposed to improve if you aren't allowed to do any practise?

She hasn't held up her end of the agreement if she isn't allowing you to practise & improve so it seems like you would be better off looking for a new position in all honesty. There is no point staying somewhere if they are going to restrict & hold you back.

Ummm sorry if my reply comes across badly this could be down to cultural differences.

In my mind and I have been doing nails for nearly 15 years now, I don't care what anyone thinks but you really do improve your skills with practice and time. I can't see what the issue is with the salon owner getting her nails done for free , It's nice she paid you in the first place.
I worked for years and not once did I even THINK to ask the owner of the hotel i ran the spa at for any money.
In return I gained many years of valuable experience and she in tune loved my work and I gained a lot more from doing her nails free.

In the long run , has it helped you by telling your salon owner you not doing her nails? No it has not you are now being stuck at doing other treatments.
It could be down to her perceiving yourself as having a poor attitude and yes she might well be acting up herself. I am not agreeing with her behavior at all either. But in life you can't control other people but you can control yourself and your own mind. Remember offense is something TAKEN and not given. You choose to be offended by another person. It might sound very strange but once I have mastered this technique I am telling you it has changed my life and I wish you all the best.

It might be good to perhaps move salons and take the life lessons learnt with you to avoid the same situation again in future.

Start out as you mean to end, always have these things discussed with your salon owner prior to doing her nails or starting work. Which is why having a written contact is very important.

I also just started out doing acrylics and in a similar situation as you. The owner offered to help me with acrylics until she feels my work is good enough for clients. I practice fills and fullsets on her and my co-workers with all of the owners products. We do this when we have slow days or no clients so Im not missing out on clients. I am not paid by the owner or coworkers, but they also just usually get a plain gel color or simple design. I don't have a problem with this because they are helping me become more confident in my work. My boss is nice and still schedules a few acrylics appointments for me and helps me with the clients when I need it. I think that our boss just sounds like a jerk and you should look into a different salon.

Latest posts

Back