Feeling frustrated and very annoyed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemmiLou

Newbie Nail Tech
Reaction score
Hi all, Im feeling very frustrated and upset. I basically feel like giving up on nails now. 9 days ago, I did 2 x shellac for my sister and her friend. They both loved them and I left very happy and satisfied and told them to let me know of any problems. Didnt hear anything, So today, I texed both of them asking how their nails were going and both replied well they died the next day!!!!

Arghhhh! So I am really not a happy bunny at the moment. I asked my sis how that happened and she said that her and her friend went swimming the day after and they chipped a bit. So I reckon she just ended up picking at it and peeling it off. I dread to think what they look like right now!!

So, was it the chlorine or lack of aftercare on her behalf or was it my fault because Im feeling very disappointed in myself right now.

I always follow the correct procedures and advised them both to use solar oil, I also do Shellac on my own nails and it lasts 14 days before I remove them and still look perfect. So what is it? I dont understand.
Also, Im annoyed that my sis didnt tell me, Its like she didnt want to upset me by saying their nails had "died" because Im her sister. But I need to know! :sad:
Please can someone help. Thank you xx

Don't be too disheartened. Talk us through your process from the very beginning inc aftercare advice and we can help xx

I prepped as normal, washed hands, sanitise, scrubfresh on nail plate, cuticle away etc, file free edge, scrubfresh, cuticle nippers. Base coat cure 10 secs in CND lamp, 1st coat two mins capping free edge, 2nd coat two mins capping free edge, top coat, 10 secs. D sperse. Solar oil.
Exactly the same process every time. As I said when I do my nails they always last, but a few times when Iv done Shellac on other people it hasnt. So I need to know if its me and my process or them??
I just dont understand.

I also said for aftercare to wear gloves when cleaning and washing up and to use solar oil three times daily.

Prepped as normal doesn't really mean anything. We PEP nails for Shellac. You need to start from the beginning and list every single step but I can tell you right now you need to cure your topcoat for 2 mins. Where did you get the 10 second cure idea from? Have you had any training in using CND Shellac? I think you may benefit from booking on a shellac course at a your nearest CND Academy. Xx

I prepped as normal, washed hands, sanitise, scrubfresh on nail plate, cuticle away etc, file free edge, scrubfresh, cuticle nippers. Base coat cure 10 secs in CND lamp, 1st coat two mins capping free edge, 2nd coat two mins capping free edge, top coat, 10 secs. D sperse. Solar oil.
Exactly the same process every time. As I said when I do my nails they always last, but a few times when Iv done Shellac on other people it hasnt. So I need to know if its me and my process or them??
I just dont understand.

Hi. Did you remember to deactivate the Cuticle away as this can cause lifting if any is left on the nail plate.

Swimming/chlorine and shellac are not friends so I guess it depends on how long they were swimming for and how well you capped them.

Top coat needs to be cured for 2 mins.....

Don't be disheartened though.... Everyone's nails are different. Some of my ladies can not wear Shellac, not even with BL Smoothing gel!!x

Have you done the CND Shellac course... it doesn't sound like you have got your PEP in the right order (not sure why you scrubfresh twice + no deactivation of cuticle away, going back over with cuticle nippers after scrub fresh?) Also if you are only curing the top coat for 10 seconds then I would guess this is a major factor in why you are having problems. It should be cured for 2 minutes.

If it were me, I would definitely get onto a S2 Shellac course, costs pennies, and having someone watch + check your work will be invaluable to correct any other little mistakes or bad habits you have, and you can pick up so many other tips as well!

I go swimming regularly and it does not affect Shellac. i make sure to wash my hands afterwards in clean (non cholrinated water) and apply Solar Oil multiple times in a day though.

Ok thanks for your help girls. xxx

If you haven't already i would get registered on the CND Professional Website and you can download the CND Shellac Step by Steps on there.

As it sounds like you don't do Shellac that often at the moment (just going off what you said that you do it on yourself every 2 weeks? + friends/family only) so until you get into the process as second nature it is helpful to have the steps written out next to you so you can follow in order.

Just to add I swim for an hour every morning and my shellac stays on fine. I do make sure I wash my hands well when I shower and use the usual solar oil. Follow the advise if others and then your clients can still swim but will need the correct aftercare x

Oh what a shame you only cured the topcoat for 10 seconds, that'll be the problem unless you made a typing mistake?

Remember: Ask clients only to get in touch if they have any questions, not if they have any problems, as this makes it out that there will be problems!!!

Latest posts

Back