Feeling gutted about business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
Well as a lot of you know I went on a hair extension course in march and loved it, I done a few models who were friends and they loved their hair and were really pleased with what id done, iv had a few people who liked their hair get in contact about prices but nothing's happened. So since my course in march iv had 1 paying client, and that's it! I did have a separate hair extension page on Facebook and really pushed it to try and get clients but its not working, so I am going to delete it (add extensions on my hairdressing page) and just not bother anymore. I will still advertise it on my normal price list but I'm not going to advertise separately anymore. Didn't think it would be this hard :-( x

Well as a lot of you know I went on a hair extension course in march and loved it, I done a few models who were friends and they loved their hair and were really pleased with what id done, iv had a few people who liked their hair get in contact about prices but nothing's happened. So since my course in march iv had 1 paying client, and that's it! I did have a separate hair extension page on Facebook and really pushed it to try and get clients but its not working, so I am going to delete it (add extensions on my hairdressing page) and just not bother anymore. I will still advertise it on my normal price list but I'm not going to advertise separately anymore. Didn't think it would be this hard :-( x

Don't delete it babes. I think starting is hard. I done a few models and I've had 4 paying clients but no more as of yet may advertise for models. I think pricing is a big thing with extensions to cheap puts ppl off bt te expense also puts them off. Before and afters attract people. Maybe do some more models? That's what I plan to do x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't really want to keep doing models as I'm never gonna make any money on them and I'm quite confident with doing extensions, I have a lot of before and after pictures and reviews as well. I have a few extensionists around me that are doing really well and I have to compete with them, they are well known aswell x

I knw the feeling ive tried myself and its hard. I have a lady offering £99 for a ful head in my area and i cant do that i hav2 charge more as i offer more hair and beta quality. Have u checked prices in ur area to see if yours are too expensive thats why they anit coming back?

One extensionist is charging abit less than me (I include an aftercare pack so abit more expensive and better quality hair) and another one is charging 200 more than me! So I don't think it's the price, I thinks it's because I'm not as we'll known as them. I know it will take time so I'll just have to be patient lol x

I think it's the same everywhere I have a few cheaper then me and then the salons that are a lot dearer. U also had one girl email my potential clients and under cut me lol

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't give up, you may be in with an influx for the festive season.Did you get given any marketing materials in your course? if so, use these and you will be fully booked, use all of the marketing advice you were provided with xx

I felt like this with lashes did my training and kept practising but didnt get much call for it. Suddenly ive got a couple of regulars and building so it will happen. It took 2years for me thats with offers and marketing but the point is it did. Keep your chin up it will happen x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Don't worry chick time will come, for my first year I only did a couple, I then worked in a salon for a year I got rather busy, I then left to start another job (not hair related) so now I only do part time, I work Saturday/Sunday and do about 2 a week they're all regulars. Don't worry try and push it you'll eventually see light. Xxx

2 a week isn't many but I do have two other jobs so its all I can commit to! Lol :) xxx

I'm the same hun. I've decided not to push sales but instead just keep active on my twitter and Facebook. I have my couple regulars. I enjoy doing it and it isn't my only income so I guess that's why it's easier for me to step back than it would be for others.

Don't give up though! Hard work pays off in the end!x

Always give out a bundle of your business cards, even to your models, word of mouth does work, good luck with your new career x

I try to advertise as much as I can. It's not to bad as I am a hairdresser aswell and I'm quite busy doing cuts and colours. I still think its best if I merge my extension page with my hairdressing page on Facebook though. Thanks for everyone's advice xx

Don't give up hun! I definitely think it is a brilliant idea to merge onto your hairdressing page, but I would still keep the other one too as they are great for business advertising. The more likes you get on your page, the more professional it looks and you can see how many people are viewing your page and which posts are attracting the most customers.

Hand out flyers, business cards, do monthly offers. Keep it exiting and talk about them wherever you go.

I have even been in a supermarket buying shampoo. Said to the checkout clerk, I love this shampoo, it is brilliant for my hair extension clients. Again she, and the queue behind me now know about my business. Word of mouth is definitely the best!

I have only been qualified since feb, but I was in the middle of a degree so wasn't concentrating on them. Within the first 4 months I only had 4 clients, one being my sister (for free obviously) this summer I have had 7 clients. It really will pick up sweetie so keep going:)

Let me know if this has helped at all

Word of mouth is great. All my business in word of mouth I've never advertised due to having other jobs. I'm considering leaving one so I can take on more clients. I do my close friends really discounted fitting price and then there friends want them, it's great for potential clients to see and touch your work its better then before and after pictures. My friend who is an Avon rep also puts my business cards or leaflets with her books every now and again and had a couple of clients off this. I haven't even got an FB page - I should really though! Maybe when I drop one of my jobs I can concentrate on getting more clients and advertisements! You will pick up its only a matter of time! If I get get a couple a week from practically no advertisement and the fact I live in the middle of nowhere so can you! Yes people pay for cheap but what they get in return is shocking, they soon realise and go for better quality! Chin up. Big hugs! Xxx

Yeah your right, the more likes I get the more people will see it. I think I'll leave it on there but still advertise extensions in both pages not just one, thanks for the advice x

I'm feeling abit better about it tonight, just removed some extensions on my client tonight (as she had them in for 3 months) and she wants more fitted next month! So that's good! :) I would rather have clients that are willing to pay and look after them then young girls that don't wanna pay and treat them badly! X

Definitely merge your pages, 2 is to confusing, plus if prospective client is juggling between you and a non hairdresser, you should (not always) win. It took me a good year to get a decent amount of work. I personally get most of my work from my website, which I spent a lot of money on, it's clear cut and not confusing about cost and different hair. I personally find FB can attract the young freeloaders, who can do an easy search from their phones. It's the ones that take time and do a proper google search that you want, non time wasters x

I'm feeling abit better about it tonight, just removed some extensions on my client tonight (as she had them in for 3 months) and she wants more fitted next month! So that's good! :) I would rather have clients that are willing to pay and look after them then young girls that don't wanna pay and treat them badly! X

Keep going Hun, merge your pages, promote promote promote, let your hair clients know you do extensions...don't give up just yet. It does take time xx

I would say merge your pages but I also wouldn't delete the extensions one as some people like dedicated extensionists and some like hairdressers that offer extensions if that makes sense ? The best extensionist in my area isn't a hairdresser and I cannot compete with her as she has so much business even by girls im friends with, she's the same price as me and her hair is great quality ( although don't know supplier ) but she also doesn't offer an aftercare pack so I see that as me having an advantage from a selling point but clients wise I've had 5 as I don't promote much as I work loads and a lot of clients have enquired and I couldn't do it in the timeframe as I had work :( I have two booked in for the next week - one is new and one was my second model and my friend booked for november - she was my first model , so I must be doing something right ? If you look at the other extensionists in your area you will probably find they've been doing it for a few years and have taken a lot of time to build a clientele. The other main extensionist in my area I had heard of briefly at the start of the year but not much, now she seems to be everywhere and every set of extensions I see on fb are hers ! But again, she may have taken ages to get to where she is now...

I've considered giving up and in a way I have by not promoting much but it's not worth it xxx

Latest posts

Back