Feeling like giving up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paige@TheClinik

Reaction score
I had a client in today who came for a clear acrylic overlay, as she only requested this I booked out just 45 minutes, when she arrived she already had an overlay on with a tiny bit of growth, no lifting etc she explained to me that she didn't want a high shine so I started to buff over the overlay and proceed to my acrylic application, towards the end she stopped me and said "I'm not happy with these they don't look nice" so I tried to make them as nice as I could although I wasn't happy with them but they were as she requested and buffed up to a shine, I went to finish with oil and she sat up and said "are these finished? Is this the standard you give your clients, I'm coming to see your manager tomorrow, I'm not happy they look awful" at this point I'm ready to die and was just telling her to have them free, if I'm honest I had to get home to get my son and I just wanted her out of there. She turns to my colleague and starts shoving them in her face telling her how awful they are and unacceptable but still demanded to pay she then turned to me and said "I'm not being rude but they are unacceptable" I don't know what came over me I stood up and burst into tears and said "not being rude? you have just ripped me to frigging shreads!"
Now I know the way I reacted was not acceptable, after recovering from a panic attack in the bathroom I came down to apologize to her as she is still stood slagging me off to my colleagues And I intend to go to work in the morning get her number and call her to apologise again.
I am just so gutted! I have a really low self esteem and my work is my escape and that has knocked my confidence the thought of stepping into work again makes my heart drop :(
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

.... big hug coming ur way hunni ... We all have clients who can be high maintenance ... But as long as you think you've done a good job of her treatment and to a high standard best leave it to your manager to sort out, unfortunately sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and smile.

<3

What was wrong with the extensions, what weren't you happy with?
And what made your client unhappy?
Chin up lovey

Laura xx

I just didn't like the way they looked it was a clear overlay on her natural nail and I just infilled what was there, she didn't want a shiny top coat so I just buffed to a shine, I'm no acrylic expert, I've been doing it about a year and only a handful of overlays, she didn't like the shape they were, I literally just touched over her natural shape as she requested, she said they looked unfinished and she thought I was going to remove most of the overlay which was already there and apply over, I told her that because the overlay already there was perfect with no lifting and just a tiny bit of growth that I just filed over and applied and that because she only requested a natural overlay, no mention of infil at all that I had put her in for a small amount of time (which was out of my work hours, I stayed back) and I had to pick my 3 year old up.
I feel so bad and embarrassed I can't take it off my mind :(
Xx

I just didn't like the way they looked it was a clear overlay on her natural nail and I just infilled what was there, she didn't want a shiny top coat so I just buffed to a shine, I'm no acrylic expert, I've been doing it about a year and only a handful of overlays, she didn't like the shape they were, I literally just touched over her natural shape as she requested, she said they looked unfinished and she thought I was going to remove most of the overlay which was already there and apply over, I told her that because the overlay already there was perfect with no lifting and just a tiny bit of growth that I just filed over and applied and that because she only requested a natural overlay, no mention of infil at all that I had put her in for a small amount of time (which was out of my work hours, I stayed back) and I had to pick my 3 year old up.
I feel so bad and embarrassed I can't take it off my mind :(
Xx

But if it was what she asked for what more could you do? Did they actually look like a bad job or where they just plain because it was a clear overlay?
Can't you ring your boss and speak to them about it? You can't be worrying all night Hun, I know how that feels it's awful.
Are you worrying about your boss or just feel bad for the client?

The client doesn't sound too nice anyway, yes you went off the wrong way but so did she. You obviously had a mini breakdown, maybe other things have been building up and this just tipped you over the edge?

Try to talk to your boss if you can

Laura xx

But if it was what she asked for what more could you do? Did they actually look like a bad job or where they just plain because it was a clear overlay?
Can't you ring your boss and speak to them about it? You can't be worrying all night Hun, I know how that feels it's awful.
Are you worrying about your boss or just feel bad for the client?

The client doesn't sound too nice anyway, yes you went off the wrong way but so did she. You obviously had a mini breakdown, maybe other things have been building up and this just tipped you over the edge?

Try to talk to your boss if you can

Laura xx

My boss is actually my grandma, who I'm very close with, I've already tried to get in touch with her to explain and apologise, I am worried about telling my nan but mainly just worried about the whole situation, I struggle with anxiety and at work I feel like a different person, I love work I feel confident and I want people to like my work, the overlay that was on originally from another tech was much nicer than what I put over but the original overlay had a shiny top coat which I liked but she asked not to have a shiny top coat on so I just buffed to a slight shine. It probably wasn't the nicest work I've done but the way she stripped me down was just unbearable, and when she already started telling me they were awful before I'd even finished I was so nervous I was shaking I just wanted to go home and get her out xx

My boss is actually my grandma, who I'm very close with, I've already tried to get in touch with her to explain and apologise, I am worried about telling my nan but mainly just worried about the whole situation, I struggle with anxiety and at work I feel like a different person, I love work I feel confident and I want people to like my work, the overlay that was on originally from another tech was much nicer than what I put over but the original overlay had a shiny top coat which I liked but she asked not to have a shiny top coat on so I just buffed to a slight shine. It probably wasn't the nicest work I've done but the way she stripped me down was just unbearable, and when she already started telling me they were awful before I'd even finished I was so nervous I was shaking I just wanted to go home and get her out xx

Aw I read on your profile a family business. I'm sure she will help you out so try not to be nervous.

A shiny top coat, or buffed to a shine, they should both look as shiny as each other.

I've can imagine it put you on edge once the client started. I don't think I would have coped very well either tbh.
What's the worse than can happen? The client gets her money back (did she pay in the end) and your nan had a talk with you. You never know, it might help. Maybe talk to you nan about some acrylic training? Even in-house training with another therapist. Just to build your confidence back up.

Tomorrow is a new day with new clients, and hopefully they will all be lovely ones that love your work.

Laura xx

Theres always somebody whos never happy even if its exactly what they asked for weve all had them try and not let it get you down :)

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Aw I read on your profile a family business. I'm sure she will help you out so try not to be nervous.

A shiny top coat, or buffed to a shine, they should both look as shiny as each other.

I've can imagine it put you on edge once the client started. I don't think I would have coped very well either tbh.
What's the worse than can happen? The client gets her money back (did she pay in the end) and your nan had a talk with you. You never know, it might help. Maybe talk to you nan about some acrylic training? Even in-house training with another therapist. Just to build your confidence back up.

Tomorrow is a new day with new clients, and hopefully they will all be lovely ones that love your work.

Laura xx

Thank you, you've made me feel much better, I only buffed to a slight shine because she didn't want them too shiny. I would like to do further training especially after this
Xx

Thank you, you've made me feel much better, I only buffed to a slight shine because she didn't want them too shiny. I would like to do further training especially after this
Xx

It's ok, I've suffered with similar stuff to you, and come through the other side :) let me know how you get on. Message me if you want to talk about anything.
Everything will be fine

Laura xx

It's ok, I've suffered with similar stuff to you, and come through the other side :) let me know how you get on. Message me if you want to talk about anything.
Everything will be fine

Laura xx

Thank you, your so kind &#128522; x

Aww bless you. Everyone has bad days. All you can do is try and take positives from the situation .. I know it's difficult when you feel bad but just think all you can do now is improve and progress.. Chin up sweetpea :)

Try not to let this get you down.

All you did is do ask this client asked!

I'm sure similar situations have happened to the best of us. I know I've dealt with my fair share of these kind of clients and I can usually predict if client is going to be a pain! I just try to counteract it and explain thoroughly what I'll be doing in the treatment to make sure both the client and I are happy to proceed.

It doesn't sound like this client dealt with the situation very well either so don't be so hard on yourself.

Try & move on from this, don't dwell on it too much. For every awkward client we have to deal with there are plenty of wonderful clients that are a pleasure to treat! Focus on your favourites who you know appreciate your good work! X

Sometimes you get clients who insist on having their treatment done their way even when you try and talk them out of it, don't like the results and when you do it your way, they absolutely love it. Stubborn as mules.

Don't let this one client shatter your confidence, think of all of the clients you've done previously who were perfectly happy or loved your work.

Try and relax tonight and if you haven't been able to already, speak to your nan tomorrow.

Most importantly, tomorrow is a new day. Go in to work with your head held high and carry on like the professional you are. Lord knows we all have bad days xx

Latest posts

Back