Feeling very bitter!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachybaby

Reaction score
I run my business fro home and its going brilliantly! Feeling confident about it and then since last week nearly every client that has walked through the door has said ' hey have you seen the hairdressers at the top have had an extenson and are going to do nails!' It really pisses me off! Its like they want to see me react and get upset about it, Im not cocky but my nails are bloody brilliant and i've had clients try the lastest salon that opens, tempted by cheap offers and have come crawling back saying they werent a patch and I love it! I know that nails are everywhere now and a milion girls are leaving college every year and the next thing their a "nail tech'!
It just annoys me that it seems to be that every hairdressers on the planet thinks they can stick an inexperienced nail tech on a poxy desk amongst the hair stations and think they'l make a packet! Doing crap nails and giving people reason to say thiongs like 'Ooh acrylic kills your nails!' Does anyone ge as angry as me? (I was typing that fast and mad my grammar is baaaad!

i understand what you are saying but dont forget that we were all new to nails at one point - all nail techs had to start somewhere! even the best ones!

The only thing you can do is stay ahead of the competition.

theresa

Hi
well im sorry but i work in a hair salon (self emoloyed) & it good to have competition, ive been there for a year now, there are 2 other places in the little town that i live who do nails & i have just tried to be poach by another hair salon to do nails there so just because your in a hair salon doesnt mean you not as good as someone who works in a nail salon.:)

Competition is great for both the Technician and the client.... it raises awareness that nails are in!!! and keeps us the Technicians on our toes, if you are better than the Technician down the road you have nothing to fear and you could also work together referring clients to each other, when you cant fit anyone else in....
That's how i work , I have another Technician 2 mins walk from me in a fab city posh Hairdressers...she used to manage a lovely salon across the road from me, but the Owner pulled the shop from under her feet so to speak..long story... she is good at nails and I don't hesitate to send anyone there if I can't fit them in and I know she does the same for me....and you know clients appreciate this and always comment on how nice we both are to work together like this......
Competition does not mean oposition, it just means 2 people doing what they love and both earning a nice living...So don't worry about the new girl on the block, we all where that at one point and I know I would have appreciated a warm welcome and a friendly hello from the oldie on the block....

Here is the link to that thread you might find it will reassure you a little.....[thread=6633]New CND Salon next door[/thread]

HTH

I just think. competition is everywhere, don't worry about them worry about how you can work your business to be even better than it is. I've stopped worrying about competition now, but I can see you pointxx

Where I live there is me (home salon) 2min round corner a hairdresses with a nail tech, and on same rd a big beauty salon, also does nails. I cant say Ive had a problem at all with the competition as I feel that we all offer a slightly different service - 90% of the ladys that come to me wouldnt go to a salon as they prefer the privacy of where I am, so you have a diff selling point - one to one service, private, relaxing etc.:green:

The way I read the post, I do not feel that it the competition that the poster is worried about, as much as having to constantly do 'damage control' from the stupid things some of these inexperienced supposed-nail-technicians come out with etc.

I didn't read anywhere that she was saying all nail technicians who work in hairdressers are bad or do terrible work or aren't as good as those with their own salons! Why so touchy?

She is quite right, there is a dearth of nil-experienced college trained techs who many hairdressers are attracted to because they want a slice of the market. Trouble is, most hairdressers do not know a thing about nails and are just glad to get anyone who will rent a space from them to make a little extra and never mind the quality!!

Latest posts

Back