Fibreglass repair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmillieShellac

Reaction score
I used fibreglass for the first time last week on two split nails. I buffed before, cut and placed fibreglass then resin then the spray after the resin, twice then I buffed it, scrubfresh and usual application of Shellac. My client has just texted me to say the polish has lifted and come off, what do you think I've done wrong? Help SSxx

I personally use silk but I'm sure that'd make no difference, I do pretty much what you do and mine just lasted 6 weeks. I had to buff the Shellac off between times but I got no lifting!

I always scrub fresh before I put anything on the nail, 2 layers of silk and resin both set with activator then a final coat of resin with activator, light buff to remove the shine then very light swipe with scrub fresh and on to Shellac application.

Karaxxx

Hmmmm....I guess there are different ways to do a silk or fibreglass repair. I prep the nail as I would for any shellac application then apply the silk/fibreglass. I don't use resin or activator, instead I apply shellac base coat making sure it is well worked in to the silk/fibreglass, cure 10 seconds, colour coats x 2/3 and top coat.

I used the fingernail fixer method and it's work well for me every time ;)

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong in your application.
I never have any problems with fibreglass I think it's the most natural nail repair out there.
Try prep the nail
Scrub fresh
Apply a very thin layer of resin to natural nail
Cut and apply fibreglass onto the tack layer of resin
Apply resin
Apply activator
Repeat
Then white block buff and file off raggy edge
Then I swear by a leather buffer or similar to really smooth the nail

Then carry on with your shellac application

Hope this helps x

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about Shellac, but with OPI GelColor and Gelish you do not apply the basecoat on the repaired part of the nail.

Thank you for your replies, I applied the fibreglass patch first then the two layers of resin, so do I need to put thin layer first then fibreglass then another layer.
So should I not use a basecoat? SSx

Latest posts

Back