First bridal nails, my mind played tricks on me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wooshka

Reaction score
Last night I did my first set for a bride.
Now this bride is having a very simple wedding, so she didn't want anything spesh as such, she just wanted a soft white free edge and clear for remainder zones.
I found it funny that in reality this is no different to other sets I have done but cause I knew it was for her wedding and it's such a special day, I freaked out a bit with making sure it was perfect.
I was upset it took me so long (3 hrs) but in saying that, she had the worst nail shapes I have ever dealt with, they were flat, they were wide at free edge but hen went really thin up to cuticle and not one tip fitted, so I had to adjust every tip to fit her nails.
I tried so hard to convince her to let me sculpt, even though I have not done a lot of sculpting, I figured it would have been quicker instead of doing tips but she refused and wanted the soft white tips.
I think the other reason I was freaking out a bit is because she doesn't get married until Saturday but she leaves this morning to go interstate for her wedding, so doing them this early made me freak out a bit cause I'm hoping she has no problems.
She is heavy handed, a lifter and a picker, so I hope all is ok.

Has anybody else had this happen, where deep down you know it's just a normal set but you freak out a bit cause you know it's for a special occasion?

They turned out well, she was really happy but I think I could have done better but that's only cause I'm a perfectionist and too fussy I think.

I do a lot of bridal nails and when I first started, yes, I took a long time. I think it was because it is such a special day, her hands will be the center of attention both in person and in pictures. You'll get over these jitters as you do more of these "special event" nails. I bet they were lovely. Pat yourself on the back.

Yer I figured my jitters will die off the more I do, I was just annoyed at my myself cause of my mind playing tricks. I knew they were just the usual tip and overlay but throw that 'wedding' word in and it all turns to jelly:biggrin:

Hubby did take some pics of the end result, I will see if I can get him to put them on here for me.

There was one nail I didn't like, she wouldn't let me use a cover colour to hide imperfections and one nail I could just see the free edge at the smile line a tiny bit, but I couldn't place it further up otherwise it would have looked really stumpy. She didn't care about it and that bothered me, cause I did care about it.

Oh the joys of brides ha!!!

At least she wasn't a BRIDE-ZILLA!

Sounds like you're a perfectionist which is never a bad thing!!!!!

Unfortunately, being so attentive to detail makes your job more stressful, but at least you are likely to out do some other slap dash tech's work. Be proud that you make such an effort. :wink2:

I'm sure she is thrilled with them and if it's her wedding coming up she will be extra careful not to ruin them for the big day so try not to worry. In time you will not let the word 'wedding' freak you out so much but tbh I am still nervous when I do brides hair etc and I've had a lot of experience doing wedding hair now.

It's a sign of a good professional to take your work seriously and it will set you apart from your competition.

Please put it behind you now and think of it as a job well done unless you hear otherwise. I'm sure she's very pleased with them xxxxxx:hug:

Thanks guys:)

I have spoken with the bride this morning while she was packing to leave and all her nails are still in perfect condition and even her hubby said they looked great, so that made me really happy.

She has left her old tech and is using me now.
All the time she was with the old tech, my client told me she had gel nails, when I bought out my gels last night to start working she says "what's that stuff, that's not gel".
I told her it was indeed gel and it turned out she was told she was getting gel but she was getting L&P with a gel top coat.
She was really annoyed when I showed her L&P and she realised she was ripped off.
What was worse is, this is a private home salon that she used to go to, not a chop shop/NSS (we call them chop shops here in Australia cause that is what they do, is just chop your nail/fingers to bits and destroy them)

So she is very happy now she finally has proper gel nails.
I'm glad I helped to educate her a bit.

Latest posts

Back