First client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB1

Reaction score
Hey geeks I have my first " proper " client tomorrow, as in a client who hasn't had me recommended nor is family or friends etc.
booked her in for her appointment and she mentions she would like me to remove what she currently has on her nails, I ask is it shellac, she says yes and I reply that aslong as it's shellac that it's fine. I am now however, starting to worry after having read a lot of horror stories on here of people getting knock off shellac that is an absolute nightmare to remove! It will be just my luck to have my first proper appointment to be wearing a type of what they call "shellac" of which I'm worried I won't be able to remove!! How would u react if this was to happen? I don't have experience of removing anything other than shellac so wouldn't no where to start! Any advice i would be very greatful! Xx

Hi,i had a lady sat who booked in for shellac removal and reapply,i soaked as normal once asking what was on there,she replied shellac,after 10 mins NOTHING,i now had 45 mins before my next client,so,i took the bulk down and wrapped each nail as i went,i really soaked cotton wool,by the time id finished 10 fingers,i started scraping,and most come off there were a few patches i couldnt remove so i buffed them off,in the end i was 5 mins late,shebtild me during the app, it was app? I said opi,she went thats it lol

Sent from my HTC Desire 300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey geeks I have my first " proper " client tomorrow, as in a client who hasn't had me recommended nor is family or friends etc.
booked her in for her appointment and she mentions she would like me to remove what she currently has on her nails, I ask is it shellac, she says yes and I reply that aslong as it's shellac that it's fine. I am now however, starting to worry after having read a lot of horror stories on here of people getting knock off shellac that is an absolute nightmare to remove! It will be just my luck to have my first proper appointment to be wearing a type of what they call "shellac" of which I'm worried I won't be able to remove!! How would u react if this was to happen? I don't have experience of removing anything other than shellac so wouldn't no where to start! Any advice i would be very greatful! Xx

Have a policy in place where you will allow a certain amount of time and allocate a charge for that time. Make this clear for no surprises or awkward moments and have a contingency and charge in place for going over that time. For removal, start by removing the top coat layer to break the seal and then wrap. It should help with time if it isn't Shellac and obviously wont do any harm if it is.

I wouldn't get yourself worked up about it until you actually see the nails. I usually avoid removing anything from a clients nails if they haven't been to me before. It's better for then to get it removed from their previous salon or nail tech before they come to you as you can't determine what their products are. Don't worry about it though. if it just so happens that after soaking it's not budging and it's not shellac, you will have to buff the colour off. I do this by soaking the nails in acetone, then buffing, then soaking for another 5 mins then buffing. f it isn't shellac, I'd be very informative to her and be honest if she is being sold a false treatment by someone else. If you show her the correct way to remove and apply shellac and explain the benefits, she will have confidence in you knowing what you're talking about.

I've only had to remove a dodgey "shellac" which wasn't at all shellac once. Luckily it was on my cousin when I first started as a nail tech.

She came to me with "hot pop pink" and was adamant that the place she went to did shellac. She said the bottles looked the same as mine etc but never read what was on them. anyways I soaked for 10 minutes, no crumbling at all, not even a tiny crackle. I told her it wasn't shellac and told her to explain to me how they applied it and how they used to remove it. She said they used to buff her nail with a machine that looked like a drill, apply the shellac based coat, 2 coats of colour and too coat, on removing they used the same machine to buff it off. I was horrified! my cousins nails naturally are strong and beautiful. She gets asked all the time "are they your real nails". Whoever she had been going to before made her nails so weak and sensitive. I didn't put anything on them once removing whatever the polish was. she needed a breather. I explained to her exactly what shellac was, the benefits of it, how it isn't so harsh on the nails etc, showed her mine (I was wearing shellac at the time) and did a remover all on my thumb. she was all the more appreciative for being informed properly. She's brought over 5 clients to me since, 2 of which also had false shellac being applied. they appreciate you informing and talking so positively about certain products.

Hope this helps.

x HelloSORRISO x

Firstly don't panic!! when she arrives show her your Shellac bottles and ask if it's the same as she had applied. If she says yes, then proceed with your normal removal procedure. If after 10 mins or so it removes fine then great. If it doesn't, calmly explain that it appears she wasn't actually given real CND Shellac and remove the top coat and re-wrap with additional remover, advising that the removal will take longer. Just remember if it doesn't remove like Shellac it NOT your fault!

Keep explaining to her what you are doing and why and wow her with YOUR professionalism :) x

I once saw someone say

"If I didn't apply it I file it"

so I would file the top coat off as much ad you can and apply you're remover perhaps wrap her hands/feet in a towel or use heated mitts/boots if you have them as the heat can help speed up the process, should come off easier.

Don't worry about it though, it will be fine and when she comes back for her next one you know it will be fine to remove because it will be your product xx

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Eek thanks for all your replies! Fingers crossed it is cnd shellac and everything runs smoothly!

Latest posts

Back