first client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi, I had my 'first' client last night. She had booked with me after seeing my website.
I was v. nervous on the way there but was ok once i was inside! It all went well but i did feel very incomfortable with her. Im a very easy going person who can get on with just about anyone, but this lady was kind of intimidating. It was just the way she looked at me when she talked, everytime i said anything she tried to make me sound like a bit of an idiot tbh! She talked about her dog a lot and kept asking me my opinion about things to do with him, i explained i dont have a dog so wasnt really sure but she continued to ask my opinions, when i finally did give an opinion about something she told me i was wrong!!
Then she talked about a salon that she used to have nail extensions at, she did nothing but run them down, yet she kept going back there, a friend of hers runs it and i get the impression they've fell out.
She kept telling me how she got cheap sets of nails but everytime they made her fingers sore and used to actually leave her with cuts on her skin, the nails would fall off etc (why go back then i thought?!) She also told me how she used to pick the nails off, i told her im not qualified in extension yet but in my opinion i didnt think picking them off was a good idea as as far as i know it can damage the natural nails underneath. She replied with 'oh well, i dont care!'

I didnt know what to say to that so I just started bringing the conversation back to her natural nails and the treatment i was giving her - of which she made out she knew everything about and no matter what i said, 'she knew it all' (even after when i asked her what type of nail extensions she'd had on before she replied 'fake one's!! :rolleyes:).

She was hard work to talk to, in the end i tried to keep conversation to a minimum, i told her i may go quiet - its not because im being rude but because im concentrating on her cuticle work! She was ok with this thankfully!! lol!

She was ok at the end, and seemed genuinly amazed at the result of the hand scrub and p.wax. When id finished she kept looking at her hands saying 'my nails have never looked so good, i cant believe it, its like their not my own hands etc!'
It was nice to see the change in attitude at the end and i was relieved as i was kind of expecting it to just not be good enough.

Hopefully, if she books again then she may be more relaxed with me and perhaps a bit nicer throughout the treatment (not just the end!).

I just wanted to ask how you all tend to deal with clients like this? My worry is, that with the way she kept running down this other salon what if she did it to me!? Hopefully she will never have reason for this, i found it difficult to believe all she said about the other salon (as like i said, they have an exc. rep and ive never heard any horror stories from there).

Ive just never met anyone like this before (or if i have then ive avoided them since lol!).
I know you cant pick or choose your clients but would just appreciate some tips on the best way to be with people like this?

I have realised tonight,
That I generally pick up o something I can tell they have a interest in, then i bring it to conversation so they end up talking about themselves or the kids, or their youth etc....

So if its someone of the same age as me (27) but who has no kids I might say something like "omg I saw ant and dec on the tele the other day, I used to fancy dec lol, They will always be PJ and Duncan to me "
this then might bring in a remincing conversation,
Or "do you remeber black jack sweets ,I used to love them" this will bring in a good 20 minute conversation about old sweets lol,
let them do the talking , you "talk to the hand"
haha

adapt things like this for age,
So avoid the nail convesation unless its going down a positive route I would ,
I have found that if someone is "dissing" another tech or salon,
and you are uncomfortable with it , you still tend to nod in agreement,
its not that you do agree, its just a natural reaction to say "Yes I am listening to you I genuinly am,....but ffs beam me up scotty !" :green:
but then this turns in to the possible senario of
client saying to others "oh yes that nail tech said that the other one is rubbish, and they do this wrong etc.."
before you know it you're a bad mouth , when you havent said a thing...

So yes I have waffled enough Just try to pick up on comman interest,
or "oohh thats a lovely vase ,where did you get it "
get into a shopping conversation.

childbirth
men
shopping
bargains
ebay
school day's
kids snotty noses and potty training accidents
How kids these days dont know they are born
hahaha

theres lots you can actually get them chatting about ...
god I never realised myself
I must print out my own post and keep it in my nail case to remind myself hahahahaha xxxxx

You did a good job anyway despite feeling uncomfortable well done x:hug:

You were probably really nervous with her being your first client. Maybe you were picking up on everything she said while you were concentrating on doing your best work, which would make you more worried about the whole thing.

Now you have the confidence that she was happy with her nails you can relax more next time. :) I had my first client in ages on Saturday, but felt more confident in my work so enjoyed it. You'll be fine, so try not to worry.:hug:

Welcome to the strange world of clients. :green:

Some are lovely and become great friends.
Some are mean and you get a sore lip from biting it.
Some are just plain odd. :eek:

I'm only kidding, doing mobile, you usually catch people after work. She could have have a really crappy day and felt argumentative and snappy?
All that counts is she was please with your service, which you seem to have managed.

Who knows! Maybe now she knows what she's getting she may end up falling into the first bracket!

Well done anyway.
x

I find the ones that DONT talk the most difficult!! lol! Like getting blood out of a stone!

One thing you will learn over time is that the convo that you have really can be just pure chit chat - like emsy said - you can talk about literally anything.

Once you are confident in what you are doing, you will find that conversation comes easy - and you will learn to be more assertive with your clients, especially ones like this lady who knows it all.

When I get a client who knows it all and slags off other salons, I keep to MY opinion, and always back it up with fact - but I never get involved in the talking down of other places. Often, people like this like to think you are going to back down and agree with them. If you stick to your guns, and are truley confident in what you are saying, 9 times out of 10 they end up agreeing with you and actually taking your advice!!

You will learn to take what is said on the chin too - if you come away from a client feeling crappy because it was a struggle, try to remember that it was only for the time you were doing the nails - and you will have many many more clients that you will really get along with!!

Good luck with finding more clients! :hug:

hiya, thanks for your replies.
I guess i was just taken back a bit by how rude she came across. I do find talking to people v. easily its just with her the conversation wasnt very forthcoming apart from her slagging off the other salon.
I didnt agree or go along with what she was saying, i just said 'oh, im surprised at that as ive never heard anything bad about them before, ive always known them to have a good rep' which is what i genuinly thought.
Tbh im really not bothered as to whether another salon is great or not, i dont mean that in a horrible way, but i think people seem to think when you are in business you are always completely competitive and must love to hear bad things about someone else who, in a matter of speaking, is part of your competition. Of course, I have my business to think of but im not in the business of bad mouthing others, we all have a job to do, money to earn etc and i think its unfair to get into the business of having ago about others!

Never mind, hopefully my next client will e much easier to get on with lol!

Love emmsybabes do's and don'ts of client conversation, they are so the best topics to use. you'll probably find that that client will be a die hard loyal promoter of your business, some of my favourite clients are ones that were the most difficult to start with, you feel like you're in an exam, but as long as they're impressed, you got 'em for life, well done and good luck with the next xxx

Love emmsybabes do's and don'ts of client conversation, they are so the best topics to use. you'll probably find that that client will be a die hard loyal promoter of your business, some of my favourite clients are ones that were the most difficult to start with, you feel like you're in an exam, but as long as they're impressed, you got 'em for life, well done and good luck with the next xxx

I know exavtly what you mean, I have a couple of long standing clients that when I first met them I can remember thinking 'hope you dont come back, not sure about you' and they are now really good clients that I get on with like a house on fire! Some people are just slow burners, and it takes a while for them to warm to you, or visa versa:)

hiya, thanks for your replies.
I guess i was just taken back a bit by how rude she came across. I do find talking to people v. easily its just with her the conversation wasnt very forthcoming apart from her slagging off the other salon.
I didnt agree or go along with what she was saying, i just said 'oh, im surprised at that as ive never heard anything bad about them before, ive always known them to have a good rep' which is what i genuinly thought.
Tbh im really not bothered as to whether another salon is great or not, i dont mean that in a horrible way, but i think people seem to think when you are in business you are always completely competitive and must love to hear bad things about someone else who, in a matter of speaking, is part of your competition. Of course, I have my business to think of but im not in the business of bad mouthing others, we all have a job to do, money to earn etc and i think its unfair to get into the business of having ago about others!

Never mind, hopefully my next client will e much easier to get on with lol!

Carry on with that attitude and you'll go far hun!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back