First re-balanced nail I'm happy with!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I have rebalanced this nail this evening, i used a different coloured acrylic for the tip to what it previously was.
I was most pleased as I didnt need to do much filing after, i just smoothed over gently with my kanga 240 before finishing, rather then filing to shape.

This is the first rebalance I am pleased with- even if its just one nail!
The fault I know there is is that I filed off the corners of the smile slightly.
Can anybody point out some more for me to see please?

There are some other angles in my album 'nail beginnings'

Salon Geek

I dont know if i can add them onto this directly until I become premium?

Thanks, please be picky if necessary!

I see a little bit of "shadowing" at the smile line, but really, from this view that is all I see! I think it looks great! Keep up the good work!

How refreshing to see a finished nail not all clarted (Yorkshire expression) up with oil.

The work round the eponychium is exceptionally good .. absolutely as it should be ... bravo.

My critique is in regards to the shape at the free edge. From the angle in the photo, the shape is 'off'. It is off because the side wall on the right is much longer than the one on the left so the curve to the centre of the nail is different on each side. To be perfect, you need to file the side wall on the right hand side, shorter and then make the same curve to the centre of the nail.

If the light it hitting the nail at its thickest point (which it normally does), then I'd also say it was a bit thick at the smile line. I'm not a fan of glitter tips so I'll leave that observation alone.

The points I've made are minor ones and easily fixed. The surface smoothness is excellent, cant see the c curve or the free edge thickness. Well done.

Thankyou both! I Didnt put the oil on as I thought it would allow for more accurate critique.
I've just become a premium geek so will add the other side view I have to the critique later, I have no doubt that will show a few more flaws!

Thicker nails after re-balance is something I am struggling with the most. For this one, as with most, i worry about taking off the new smile (which I have slightly done on this one) and avoid touching the smile line as much as possible. Perhaps when it needs to be thinned more I'll just need to grow a pair and give it a go!
Thanks for the comment on the work around the eponychium, following a previous critique thats a weakness I have tried the most with.

Thats why I love the critique tool, had I not have been told the product was too thick there previously I would not have worked on it as much and this nail would have a not-so pretty little ledge where the product ends.

So thankyou all for your help!

I'm off to work for the morning, when I return I'll attempt to fix that side wall and free edge shape. Thanks

whilst i agree with whats already been said,having looked at the other pictures of the different angles in your album i do think think the product is still abit to thick which i think you already know anyway.
although your cuticle area is nice and flush from the sideview pic in your album for me personally it looks like there is quite a big gap between the product and cuticle,i know that there has to be a small margin etc.. and i understand the reasons for this but in my opinion the gap is just slightly too big.
the finish of the nail is excellent and geeg has already explained about the shape and sidewalls etc..
i think you should be really pleased even though as you said its only one nail but its the start of the next stage.
well done.xx

Thanks for taking the time to look, I became a premium geek this morning so i could add the extra views on here because there are things that you have picked up on from those views that are not seen in the one shown, (only i dont know how to add them!).

Aside from the thickness (which we have established a little too thick) how do you find the overall shape from the side?

I know I've got a while to go before producing perfect results but i'm still very pleased with this one- I often dont get the product as flush at the eponychium end, especially when rebalancing.
So I'll make my next aim to get it that bit closer as well as flush!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back