First Shellac - Went a bit wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
Hello,

I did my first shellac a couple of weeks ago on my auntie (by the way when i say first i mean first paying client). so she had french, she's been away on holiday so i just text to ask how long the nails lasted and they only lasted 4 days. why is this? ive asked her if she was in water a lot, but can this REALLY affect the nail from being in water too much? Also her nails were quite short so maybe she is a picker/biter or some of the gel went on the skin/I couldn't seal the gel properly because there was no free edge? thanks for your advice :) xx

Hiya

A lot of sunscreens damage Shellac. I'm guessing that could be the reason they didn't last as long as they should have.

Tracy x

Before you get eaten alive, never use Shellac and gel in the same sentence. LOL It's a polish...not a gel.

You'll see countless threads on this site about Shellac services failing while people are on holiday. A lot has to do with sunscreen and pools. People tend to be more active while on vacation, too, and do more things outside of the norm.

When your aunt gets back, do her nails again paying close attention to your PEP and application and see how they last. It'll be a better indication of what may have gone wrong.

Hello,

I did my first shellac a couple of weeks ago on my auntie (by the way when i say first i mean first paying client). so she had french, she's been away on holiday so i just text to ask how long the nails lasted and they only lasted 4 days. why is this? ive asked her if she was in water a lot, but can this REALLY affect the nail from being in water too much? Also her nails were quite short so maybe she is a picker/biter or some of the gel went on the skin/I couldn't seal the gel properly because there was no free edge? thanks for your advice :) xx

Hi, the first thing what accured to me you said she had extremely short nails(no free edge) so i assume she is a biter :) Therefore yes, youre right she might biting her nails even with the shellac on...

Thank you to all of you for your replies I will bear this in mind. So I shouldn't promote the fact that these are ideal for holidays? xx

Oh no....Shellac is perfect for holidays and vacations. But clients need to know that sunscreen and chlorinated pools can have adverse affects.

Some sunscreens can change the color of some Shellac polishes. And clients should always immediately dry their Shellac'd fingers and toes when exiting a pool to prolong their manicures and pedicures.

If you send a private message to GEEG, she'll be glad to send you a Shellac aftercare sheet that you can give to your clients that will help them maintain their Shellac service.

Hi, the first thing what accured to me you said she had extremely short nails(no free edge) so i assume she is a biter :) Therefore yes, youre right she might biting her nails even with the shellac on...

She may be biting, but even if she isn't, the free edge of a nibbler is often very thin . . . if I have this situation I put a tiny cap of acrylic just along the free edge about 3/4mm in, makes so much difference, then next time they return for re-shellacking (is that a word?) the dodgy bit has grown out.

Or it could be that they were so short it wasn't possible to seal along the free edge sufficiently.

Latest posts

Back