First time removing NSS acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisieb123

Reaction score
like the title says,its my first time removing a full set of acrylic nails from a NSS salon, its the oldest and busiest NSS in nottingham and a few years ago i got my nails done here and cried when it came to removal! ( this was a long time beffore i decided i take the plunge n go ahead and do nails myself) and im abit worried after seeing a few threads before today!!!

i was just wondering if i file the bulk off soak cotton wool in acetone put on the filed nails and wrap in tin foil and use that methof if it will work?
im really nervous as every set ive taken off has been my own or theyve been done at a reputable salon.

sorry for a repeat and abit of a long thread but i just need help

on the upside my acrylic training is nearly finished and my tutor says im taking to it really well:D

I think your going to be there a while tbh. Wrap them up and see how u go. You may just have to sit and wait and wait. Don't rush and don't panic. I'm sure it will be ok.

And congrats with your training x

Hiya

I think you'll really struggle to shift it. You could try filing the bulk of the product off then soak in acetone.

Remember that the product used in alot of NSS's is actually designed for use by dentists to create crowns etc, so as you can imagine it will be rock solid.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Tracy x

My advice is don't do it.
Let the client go back to the place she had them done & get them to remove it. I made the mistake of taking of another salons gel nails (client told me it was Shellac & booked in a Re-Shellac, telling me gels & Shellac are the same!!) it took me 1 hour to remove all the gel, I dread to think how long Acrylic would take! X

I've said this on another thread like last night and I'll say it here. I could never turn away a client. If I were a client and I got sent away, I'd be either think there's something wrong with me, or think that tech doesn't know how to remove enhancements, and I'll probably never go back to a place that sent me away. That's from a consumer's perspective. This business is competitive as is, and the last thing I would want to do is send someone away.
To the OP, you can remove it that way but do make sure you've filed off at least half so there's not too much that the acetone has to work its way through. The more you've filed off the better. A little heat actually moves the product better, but do make sure you check on it after 10 minutes and push off what you can with a pusher or a really abrasive file to grasp all that gummy stuff off. You can even go a step further and keep their hands wrapped in a towel for extra heat. Just keep checking on it every 5-10 minutes and push off what you can. Also you might want to put a little oil on their cuticles before wrapping to keep them from overdrying. Good luck.

Chickafish is right dont turn them away. Odds are it would be a rip them off removal at the other place...

Regarding what service to offer, this was suggested in the other thread and is the most correct advice:

Dont soak them off. The damage you uncover could be really bad. Then it becomes like building a house on sand (weak foundation)
If this is the case the client will question why cheap nails stay on and pro ones break off...

The most sensible thing to do is:

Blend down as much as possible and rebalance with your pro product. They will be delighted at the thinner nicer result. Not only that it allows the damage and other brand product to grow out over time and let the client get used to a less concrete nail...

Hth's

My advice is don't do it.
Let the client go back to the place she had them done & get them to remove it. I made the mistake of taking of another salons gel nails (client told me it was Shellac & booked in a Re-Shellac, telling me gels & Shellac are the same!!) it took me 1 hour to remove all the gel, I dread to think how long Acrylic would take! X

I agree with this.

Business owners don't generally turn clients away uneccessarily, whatever the economic climate is.

You make the decision based on personal experience.

We've had two such experiences.

The first lady was desperate to have her acrylic removed. Against my better judgement we removed it for her. It took ages and the lady blamed us for the terrible state of her nails underneath.

We never saw her again.

We advised the second lady to return to where she had product applied to have them removed.

She returned to us for BioSculpture and has been a client for 7 years.

Perhaps the difference in approach is that we are beauty therapists who do nails. We only offer natural nail products - BioSculpture and Shellac.

Whereas those of you who are nail technicians have an understanding of all the different nail systems and are prepared to tackle anything.

Peace and respect.

Jacqui xx

I can understand if a beauty therapist offering only natural nail services sent away someone for removal. I can't understand if a full-on nail technician did. The reaction we get depends on the client. I like to think we can usually tell what type of client we're dealing with during the consultation period. It's probably a good idea not to give a definite yes or no when a client phones in for a removal. It's better to deal with them face to face and offer them the option of infilling instead in case there is heavy damage underneath the current set. But if OP wanted to try the wrap option for removal, she can, but it would probably be a better idea if she does them with her own set because NSS sets do tend to take a lot to get them to budge, and at least with her set, she knows what she used. x

Hi everybody!
thankyou all so much for your replies!!!

im going to talk to the client when i see her today at 4!

ill explain what the NSS use and how hard it is on your nails due to them mostly using MMA and hoe badly it affects your nails, i said i could be there a while last night and she just wants them doing so is fine about time and prices ive said.

i think if she does want removal ill try the bowl in a bowl of hot/warm water method and cover with a towl,

thankyou all for your replies and i keep telling all of my friend and other people i see who have NSS nails to be careful!

im actually in shock at what you said sassy_minx24 Remember that the product used in alot of NSS's is actually designed for use by dentists to create crowns etc, so as you can imagine it will be rock solid.
ive never heard that before and that is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!

Thanks again everybody!!!!:D

I can understand if a beauty therapist offering only natural nail services sent away someone for removal. I can't understand if a full-on nail technician did. The reaction we get depends on the client. I like to think we can usually tell what type of client we're dealing with during the consultation period. It's probably a good idea not to give a definite yes or no when a client phones in for a removal. It's better to deal with them face to face and offer them the option of infilling instead in case there is heavy damage underneath the current set. But if OP wanted to try the wrap option for removal, she can, but it would probably be a better idea if she does them with her own set because NSS sets do tend to take a lot to get them to budge, and at least with her set, she knows what she used. x

Agree completely xx

Jacqui xx

i also ment to put in my reply that im going to offer to infill/rebalance them depending how long shes had them on, im prepared to take them off or infill i dont mind either way! i would never turn a customer away for a removal unless there is good reason too, i feel that i should have a lengthy consultation before we do anything im not gonna jump in without talking to her first and coming to a mutual decision.

Latest posts

Back