Fish with White spot

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
I have noticed past few days the small black Moore has been quite slow and his top fins were close to his back (or hers.. don't know what sex)... then I got up this morning and he's covered completely in White spots.

I'm going to buy some stuff shortly.

Only one fish does not have any at all.

I rang up and he told me to buy some white spot fish.. but having read online, I'm not sure this little Black Moore is going to make it.. he's got it really bad.

Now, it says I should clean the tank daily.. gravel etc... to get rid of the parasite... so do I give it a full water change whilst the fish are in a bucket or vase or something... and wash all the stones etc? Or will this be worse?

I don't want them to all die... should I isolate the really sick fish?

Can anyone help? And can I catch anything if I touch the water? :eek:

I would take all the fish out , thoroughly clean the tank stone everything , if you have any fish left that do not have white spot keep them seperate, but its is more than likley
that they will now all get it, use the medication in the tank that you have been recommended to use, I am sorry but it does not look good, you may be able to save a few, but do everything now, as your whole tank is contaminated, I have had this in the past, and managed to save a couple but I did loose quite a few fish. good luck
p.s the fish that you have seperated that do not have white spot still treet them with the medication.

I would take all the fish out , thoroughly clean the tank stone everything , if you have any fish left that do not have white spot keep them seperate, but its is more than likley
that they will now all get it, use the medication in the tank that you have been recommended to use, I am sorry but it does not look good, you may be able to save a few, but do everything now, as your whole tank is contaminated, I have had this in the past, and managed to save a couple but I did loose quite a few fish. good luck
p.s the fish that you have seperated that do not have white spot still treet them with the medication.

Right, thanks.. I will do that when we get back. I think the moore is in the worst stages of it.

I never thought keeping goldfish was so complicated! All this is since I changed a bit of the Water a few days ago... the man on the phone said this would stress them out and cause a break out. BUT, they must have had it before for the stress to bring it out again.... the one who is most badly infected was brought out of Quarantine!

I'm gonna save them as best I can.. Dave said we should flush the most badly affected one down the toilet but I really can't do that.

I would not flush them down the toilet yet give them a chance and keep the water clean and medicated you may just save them good luck

i thought this was going to be a nail art post !

your poor fishes, i hope you fix them up. my bro has fish and he got some stuff you put in the water and they were o.k. i hope yours get better.

Bought some stuff called No. 6. Followed the directions and now have a lovely Tank filled with Blue Water!

Guy at Fish shop advised not to do anything with Tank - just use the stuff and take a sample of the Tank Water to them to test. I have to treat them again in 4 days. He said it will stress them out more.

With any luck, which lately I don't seem to have :lol:, the fish will be OK.

Saw some beautiful Tropical Shark fish and we're really tempted to set up a Tropical fish Tank... but am going to get used to the fish we've got first and how to do things right with them!

what it sounds like is what is called ick it will spread to your other fish. i raised moores and gold fish for years and would have to treat them for this, i don't remember what the stuff that i used was called but i do remember it changing the water to a blue or yellow color. oh, do not put any new fish in your tank untill you finish the whole treatment and i always treated any new fish that i got for ick before i put them in with the other fish even if they had no spots

Definatly master normal fish before you move on hun. I did and it made everything easier. I've just got tropical fish and they are fab but i'm glad I practiced on goldfish first.

Hope they are all better soon x

White spot treatment will only work once the parasite goes into free swim mode which is why its important to complete the course even if the affected fish die leaving fish that look fine in the tank still. Upping the water temp can make the meds more effective too as it speeds up the left cycle of the parasite so more gets killed by the treatment. Water changes can help if you have a serious outbreak ( in that case it will remove some of the parasites from the water and substrate) but I haven't found otherwise that it helps much during treatment. Moving fish out wont mean the others are anyless at risk, they may already be affected.

Keep us posted, hope your fish is ok :)

Latest posts

Back