Fitness Geeks - power walking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenelopePitstop

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

i'm going to start excersing tonight, i want to start gentle so i'm going to go on a power walk to ease me back in.

How long do i need to power walk for for it to make a difference? is there anything i can do to make it more effective??

Cheers Pen x

Hiya hun i think you need to doit for at least 30mins and you could take little hand weights or bottles of water to tone your arms too HTH xxx

Hiya,

I power walk on the treadmill at the gym, I do 3 days a week, for 30mins - 40 mins, depending on how buggered I am. :eek: Using handweights is an excellent idea, i think Ill try that next week!:green:

I'm going to gym.. supose tonite, but hubby's taking me out, so will be TOMORROW, I really do need to get fit, feel like a pig!!!:cry:

raw-beauty said:
I'm going to gym.. supose tonite, but hubby's taking me out, so will be TOMORROW, I really do need to get fit, feel like a pig!!!:cry:

that's exactly why i'm doing it...feel so horrible and it makes me feel really good when i've excercised...just need to get back in to the hang of it!
wouldn't say i need to lose weight i just need to tone up!

PenelopePitstop said:
that's exactly why i'm doing it...feel so horrible and it makes me feel really good when i've excercised...just need to get back in to the hang of it!
wouldn't say i need to lose weight i just need to tone up!

well... dont really need to lose weight neither, just need to lose my belly:green: we are paying £100 for both of us each month, and didnt use for about half year, im gutted:irked:

SH*T a brick!!! :eek:

Get down that gym and get your moneys worth!! would it be easier if you just paid as you went, i know it's dearer but not as dear as paying and not going!?

i hate to stop my gym as i moved house and it would of been a 40 min drive, i'm keen but not that keen!!

PenelopePitstop said:
SH*T a brick!!! :eek:

Get down that gym and get your moneys worth!! would it be easier if you just paid as you went, i know it's dearer but not as dear as paying and not going!?

i hate to stop my gym as i moved house and it would of been a 40 min drive, i'm keen but not that keen!!

It's not a pay as you go one, had to sign one year contract, wish I never did sign up now!:cry:

raw-beauty said:
It's not a pay as you go one, had to sign one year contract, wish I never did sign up now!:cry:

just go as much as you can now, then you'll feel better about it x

Once you want to do a little more than power walking, you can try interval training.

I think the best way is to walk for 5 mins, run (or jog, whichever suits) for 2, for however long you're out. You can gradually build up the ratio. It's fab for your heart, as it's making your BPM increase and decrease without you being absolutely knackered, and you can decide how much walking:running you want to do, so build up gradually.

Inclines and declines are fab for training if you live in a hilly area....

:)

I'm to cheap to join a gym......but try to exercise all the time ....don't want to look like my mom.....:)rolleyes: ) sorry mom......I do love her ....just want to be more toned than her ........omg!!!! I just don't want to look as old as I am....that's it...... I'm in denial........:eek:
Power walk....good idea!

AmydeMan said:
Once you want to do a little more than power walking, you can try interval training.

I think the best way is to walk for 5 mins, run (or jog, whichever suits) for 2, for however long you're out. You can gradually build up the ratio. It's fab for your heart, as it's making your BPM increase and decrease without you being absolutely knackered, and you can decide how much walking:running you want to do, so build up gradually.

that sounds like a good idea, i want to eventually be able to just run in the end, but i'd fall down dead if i even ran for 5 mins, i am sooooo unfit it's unreal, i'm actually really ashamed! gradual is the way me thinks! if i run up a hill can i roll down the other side lol! x

Heh heh! Rolling sounds good!

Just make sure you don't do too much running on hard surfaces, my shins are so full of splints they put the cobbles on Corrie to shame!

AmydeMan said:
Heh heh! Rolling sounds good!

Just make sure you don't do too much running on hard surfaces, my shins are so full of splints they put the cobbles on Corrie to shame!

ohhh bet that hurts! shin splints are awful!

god exercise - what's that?? LOL

i wouldn't do exercise if you paid me!

PenelopePitstop said:
ohhh bet that hurts! shin splints are awful!

Mine are all old now, so they don't hurt but they don't disappear either! Every man who wants to grope my legs has to travel a bumpy road :green: (there ain't that many of them either, men that is, not splints)

AmydeMan said:

Wasn't Sebastian Coe famous for doing this?

Ideally,(goverment stats n all that!!:Grope: ) you want to do moderate intensity exercise for 30 mins 5 times a week!!!

Definition of moderate - slightly breathless, but able to talk. feeling warm (in this weather don't take much!!:lol: )

Once that starts to feel easier like it was said before change to interval training. but this can take time so don't be dishartened, any way exercise releases the happy hormone!!!

Happy walking

well i went and it was really good, we went for an hour and i couldn't tell you how far we travelled but god it did seem like a long way!! the embarrasing thing was the amount of beeps we got from passing traffic...er hello we were in joggers and tops not bikinis!!!

thanks for all the advice, i'm going to do it again on thursday and incorporate some running xx

Don't know how true this is, but squeezing your gluteals (buttocks) whilst powerwalking is supposed to be beneficial to that area.

Latest posts

Back