Flexible chair rent price advice needed. Please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have been offered the opportunity to work in a local beauty salon on a flexible basis fitting hair extensions.
The salon owner has said that because it is flexible she would like me to pay her a 30% fee on my takings which I think sounds ok. I will supply all my own product and hair but the 30% will be worked out from the total that the client pays including the hair cost that I have already paid for.
I know we are not allowed to discuss product prices on here but the hair cost is very pricey and normally much more than I add on for my fitting fee which means that if a client opts for the longest and thickest hair the salon owner will take more than double I do.

I Normally work mobile and have not worked in a salon before so don't have anything to compare it too. Does this arrangement seem about right?

Surely it would be 30% of the profit on the hair not 30% of the total??

That's what I thought it would be but she said she'd like 30% of whatever the client pays.

I'm so confused, I really can't decide if its worth me takingthe chair :(

Yeah tell her 30% after hair cost, or get her to buy the hair and u take 30 of total cost, see what she says lol

From what I can gather. In Cambridge where I'm based, beauty salons generally take about 50/50 if they supply the product but because hair is so expencive I don't think it works in this area of beauty.

Yeah tell her 30% after hair cost, or get her to buy the hair and u take 30 of total cost, see what she says lol

Good one lol

I went for an interview in a Afro salon yrs ago & the lady said they would take 70% of takings from each client I get. I told her where to shove it if she thought I was gonna stand on my feet for 4-5 hrs putting someone's single plait extensions in & only getting £30 for my effort & time.

thanks for all your messages peeps. I think I can see a pattern forming!

just out of interest, do any of you own/run salons? id be really interested to hear from the point of view of someone in the same position as my potential "boss" to be.

30% of profit is a very good deal for you. It's often 50/50. Maybe the salon owner doesn't realise how pricing for ext works?
The other option is to add 30% to the hair cost to the client to cover the salon cut.
Bear in mind you charge more in a salon than mobile, so adjust your prices to allow for this.

I'd be more than happy to pay 30% of my profit. it's the fact I'm being asked to pay 30% of the gross takings that makes the deal not work financially for me. I Have already bumped up my prices to be in line with other salons in the area, I can't charge the clients anymore or I will lose them :(

just out of interest, do any of you own/run salons? id be really interested to hear from the point of view of someone in the same position as my potential "boss" to be.

Ive got more or less the same problem. I am currently renting a room doing beauty and have just done hair extensions but I know for a fact if I add this to my treatment menu, she will want the percentage of the total cost of the extensions and not the fit, so I am not going to even bother doing these as part of my beauty treatments and instead I am going to do them mobile. Saves the drama and anxiety.

Latest posts

Back