Foiling timing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_eve

Senior Stylist
Reaction score
Good morning Geeks
I am really struggling with my timing for foils. The salon I'm currently in (since I qualified 2years ago) requires us to do a full head foils in 1 hour including the consultation/mixing etc... I really want to get my timing quicker and I really struggle to get it any quicker than 1hr 15mins. The tips I've been given by a colleague is to really space the foils out at the back and then pack them round the front and top (I personally feel that this is unacceptable by that's my opinion or is it the done thing?)

I would love some tips on how to get those foils in quick or is it just a case of practice?

I start at the nape of the neck and work my way up to the crown and then from each ear up to about an inch either side of the parting and then from the hairline to the crown through the middle. Any advice please as I'm always running behind.

Thank you

I used to work somewhere like this, all the girls used to start at the front and then whatever time they had left they would just put a few chunkier ones round the back. I agree with you that it's not right to do that, but unfortunately if you want to keep up with timings and not run behind you'll have to do what the other girls do. Unless anyone else has other advice x

Good morning Geeks
I am really struggling with my timing for foils. The salon I'm currently in (since I qualified 2years ago) requires us to do a full head foils in 1 hour including the consultation/mixing etc... I really want to get my timing quicker and I really struggle to get it any quicker than 1hr 15mins. The tips I've been given by a colleague is to really space the foils out at the back and then pack them round the front and top (I personally feel that this is unacceptable by that's my opinion or is it the done thing?)

I would love some tips on how to get those foils in quick or is it just a case of practice?

I start at the nape of the neck and work my way up to the crown and then from each ear up to about an inch either side of the parting and then from the hairline to the crown through the middle. Any advice please as I'm always running behind.

Thank you
I take a sub section when going up the back and go from the ear up to a middle parting and the same the other side so I dint go across the top anymore from the hairline back to the Crown. I find it much quicker x

Your timing will speed up in time. It sucks that they are pushing you like that!

Thanks you geeks... x

I know that feeling, except mine had to be on a 45 minute appointment ! :eek: X

Goodness ... 45mins :o

That's why I am mobile , would rather take 15 minutes longer but do a good job , don't let them put pressure on you , your speed will pick up but let it be on your terms x

I slice all the back & weave sides & top I find this cuts time .

I slice all the back & weave sides & top I find this cuts time .

Yes my apprentice colleague said her tutor advised this too... I might give it a try x

That's why I am mobile , would rather take 15 minutes longer but do a good job , don't let them put pressure on you , your speed will pick up but let it be on your terms x

Last edited:
Hi geeks.... this is the amount of foils I have done on this level 7 root using a high lift tint in a diagonal around the parting to blend nicely and at the back I did a couple of slices just to get me started.... it took me a bloomin hour to get them in and even though I was so careful the foils bled at the back thankfully I caught them in time and put cotton wool in between.
1) does this look like too many foils?
2) 1hour for t-section :o
3) help!
Thank you x

Attachments

• 1480075876077.jpg
    1480075876077.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 1480075887719.jpg
    1480075887719.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 109
I don't think that looks like too many foils, but it really depends how blonde your client wants to be, right?
and why are your foils bleeding? you must either be putting the color too close to the root.. do you adjust your foils with your comb after if they have slipped a bit?

I don't think it's too many foils either but I've been limited to 30 foils for a t-section...
I think they bleed as I'm putting the high lift too close to the root, I always try and a just the foils if need be and also use cotton wool to absorb and separate....
I think it's purely a case of speeding up with practice... thank you geeks x

Hi lifts swell .. so allow for this !
Also I don't always fold my foils when I get further up , which saves time x

Latest posts

Back