Foils with gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Here is another area I struggle. Foils with gel polish are not always as successful as I would like. I use Shellac and can get away with this to some degree. I never achieve the full good coverage I crave but the majority transfers. I also use Halo Gel Polish though and I can never get a good transfer with this. It just isn't tacky enough. So can I get a foil adhesive and paint that over, then transfer the foil and then top coat? Would this work or cause problems? x

You can buy foil gel which you cure then use your foil paper

I use Shellac gel polish and Lecente foils - this combination gives consistent results.

Tips:
  • Wipe the back of the foil gently with scrub fresh to improve adhesiveness
  • Double cure your final coat of colour to make it extra tacky and then put the foil on.
  • Use Blackpool as your colour if possible as it is the stickiest
  • If you can't use black then choose a colour as close to your foil colour as possible so any little gaps aren't obvious. Again, double cure.
  • Use a matching glitter all over after applying the foil to fill any gaps, then top coat.

hope this helps :)

Thank you so much ladies. loving the gel idea. never heard of this x

I wipe the back of the foil quickly with acetone. It comes off much easier that way!

Gels and acrylics really arn't made to have any type of add on's such as diamonds, foils, etc. You'll always have some sort of complication.

I use a thinner than thin coat of Kami foil adhesive over gels. Clean off any tacky layer and be sure the adhesive is 110% dry before applying the foil. You should get perfect results that can be top coated as normal over any colour or even a clear base coat.

I’m sure any quality adhesive would give good results, Kami is my personal preference because I know it works great with gel systems but beware cheap foil adhesives, they are not so reliable and might possibly cause service breakdown issues.

Latest posts

Back