Following on from Geeg's honey/vinegar post

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyUK

Reaction score
Geeg is right that many people these days are so grumpy/rude/caught up with themselves. We have all got a little bit grumpy because the waitress doesnt serve our lunch quite as quick as we wanted or something along those lines...and obviously there are those that would just rip her head off and totally ruin her day! I think I'm a good person and try to be as many many people are but I'm not perfect either so this isnt a patronising thread of any kind.

How about this...Geeg has posted about respect etc on the site (and I'm sure it has made a difference! made some think twice etc) which is excellent but why don't we all take it FURTHER. Many of us do nice things for people all the time...kind of a 'what have you done lately that makes us feel proud thread'(i'm always too shy/bashful to post on those about what i have done lol)...lets have a week (or let that just be the start)where instead of choosing the grump option we turn it around and take the other route...do something good...something you wouldnt maybe usually do..even the really caring people can always do SOMETHING EXTRA (no matter how small)...its fun, gives you the warmest glow and there are SO MANY geeks on here we could just make that little bit of difference...even a smile to someone who looks unhappy!...a helping hand instead of walking past when you are in a rush, or even a coffee for someone bogged down at work ...I dont know I'm sure there are many many things you can think of

I'm going on here but I recently drove through a slum area of a v poor country...the lights on our bus were off..everyone was asleep and their curtains closed apart from mine...I saw an old man sat on the side of the road...he had nothing but he saw me and waved and gave me the biggest toothless smile I had ever seen...I waved and smiled back and his smile got even bigger...that moment I have thought about every day since and it makes me smile/get a tear in my eye every single time...someone with nothing had given me something amazing. I wanted to get off that bus and just hug him...I think he knew that...and he made me even more determined to give more.

Lets do it and post about what happens(and dont be bashful about it like I am lol or if you are just do something extra anyway)...it will be fun...it could backfire and u could get a grump in return lol but hey I bet in most cases its only good...I'd love to know any stories if you are all up for it :)

I was just thinking the same thing! I think there was a thread about this a while back but I can't find the link! lol.

But I think threads like this should be a regular thing, it's cool to help people out / brighten someones day! :)

x What do other geeks think? x

i always like to brighten someones day smiles all round:) :) :) :)

I never saw Geegs thread about the honey/vinegar but I done a good deed for the day for the local nursing home - a free manicure for two clients - as part of their raffle ticket thingy for their coffee morning on friday! :lol:

Has anyone ever bought a bunch of flowers and just given them to someone they have never met, say on the street?...someone who looks like they need cheering up? I would love to do this, would be fun also but I'm sure i would be too shy :o . If anyone does it let me know what happens :)

Lets do it and post about what happens(and dont be bashful about it)...it will be fun...it could backfire and u could get a grump in return lol but hey I bet in most cases its only good...I'd love to know any stories if you are all up for it :)
Right Mrs! being as you have just brought tears streaming down my face as I pictured that poor man with his humbling smile. Id like to be the one of the first to share my experience of wonderful things that peeps & geeks do for each other .... so Ill start with YOU! :eek:

Id like to thank you for taking the time to search out the beautiful gifts you brought me back from your hols, gifts that were in the post to me as soon as you got back home ... even though I know you had much more important things to deal with at the time! Such a heartwarming gesture from a warm & lovely person ... particularly as we hardly know each other :hug:

In fact when I sit & think about it there are so many Geeks that have given to me in one way or another ... Some Ive met in person, some I may never meet but, they all touch me in some way. A kind word here, a little advice there, a shoulder when Im down, a giggle in a PM!

Now, Im not so sure Id have the nerve to approach a stranger but I'll be visiting my mom tomorrow so Ill start with her and take her a bunch of her fave blooms for no other reason than 'just because...' :hug:

i think every one on geek, and everywhere else should try and just make an effort to make someone's day just alittle bit more pleasant.........try it for a week geek, that is going to be my moto as from today:lol: PASS IT ON!!!!

i try my best to be polite, nice, and helpful, even when you get sour old gits that all they do is moan and give abuse, i havent a lot of patience!!!!..............i'm going to try harder on geek week to make sure that if someone is p*****g me off or shouts and rants and raves,:mad: i'm gone say SMILE your having a bad day, it can only get better if you are HAPPY:)

i'll let you know at the end of try it for a week geek

What a lovely thought :green: I hate being grumpy and alway feel better when I do nice things!

My hubby says I have a comfy face because peeps always come and ask me to do things when I am out and about - like the little old lady who asked me to pull down her petticoat in the main street - did I do it YES - granted I felt daft but she was happy and that made me happy.

A japanese man asked if I would take a picture - so I said yes put my hand out for his camera and he said no - picture of you - so in Japan somewhere, there is a photograph of me and little proff in a pizza house in York!

That is only a couple of things - there are many more but I do honestly believe you feel better when you do nice things for both yourself and others :hug: :hug: :hug:

Does this count?

I'm babysitting my mates little girl for 2 nights to give her a break.

She's a single mum who's ex dosn't have contact with her daughter and family arent able to help out, so I have her every now and again for a couple of nights.

It's not much, I wish I could have her more but my mate always appreciates her few days off and I usually give her a couple of bucks or a six pack of beers to help her enjoy her time off.:hug:

I will make sure and try to help out a stranger one day soon, I reckon it would be a buzz! x

Great idea!

But, do not many of us (at least I HOPE so) do this already?

When I have a client in the dumps, I give her an extra service no charge sometimes (massage, moisturizing treatment, free nail art...).
When my girlfriend is wiped out OR even if she's not, I take her kids for the day.
One of my pals, on a tight budget (read that to mean no budget) I give her free nails.
I help little ol' ladies at the shopping mall get into taxis or whatever..
I make home-made salsa or home-made cookies and give them out to whomever..

I don't know, I can't see a week going by without doing several somethings for people. Maybe it's just me, but I "get off" on doing things for other people. THAT'S what makes me happy, making other's happy.

I guess for some, maybe their schedules are so crazy, they don't have time to even think that someone might need a bit extra of whatever.

I guess what I'm saying is it's sad if we need a reminder to do kind things for no reason whatsoever.
:cry:

Great idea!

When I have a client in the dumps, I give her an extra service no charge sometimes (massage, moisturizing treatment, free nail art...).
When my girlfriend is wiped out OR even if she's not, I take her kids for the day.
One of my pals, on a tight budget (read that to mean no budget) I give her free nails.
I help little ol' ladies at the shopping mall get into taxis or whatever..
I make home-made salsa or home-made cookies and give them out to whomever..

Thats so nice especially the bit I highlighted! Bless ya

i think every one on geek, and everywhere else should try and just make an effort to make someone's day just alittle bit more pleasant.........try it for a week geek, that is going to be my moto as from today:lol: PASS IT ON!!!!

i try my best to be polite, nice, and helpful, even when you get sour old gits that all they do is moan and give abuse, i havent a lot of patience!!!!..............i'm going to try harder on geek week to make sure that if someone is p*****g me off or shouts and rants and raves,:mad: i'm gone say SMILE your having a bad day, it can only get better if you are HAPPY:)

i'll let you know at the end of try it for a week geek

Love this :) x

All your posts are really lovely to read x It's easy to just go the extra mile for someone x

Glo :o :o , don't know what to say apart from :o lol and you know it was pleasure to help out :hug: x

I never saw Geegs thread about the honey/vinegar but I done a good deed for the day for the local nursing home - a free manicure for two clients - as part of their raffle ticket thingy for their coffee morning on friday! :lol:
When I was living in the USA I thought I was being kind to a 'bag lady' (homeless) and bought her a hot cuppa. She tried to hit me with her hand bag:eek: . Then I tried to help another one carry her heavy bags and she started screaming at me:eek: . I hope you weren't assaulted for your good deeds at the nursing home Cadence:wink2:.

Latest posts

Back