Foot spa contraindications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mary1981

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a lady booked in for a pedicure and manicure on Thursday. Her daughter wants to cheer her up her as she has recently had a hip operation. When i spoke with her i asked her to check with the nurse/doctor that a pedicure would be suitable. The ladies physio said definatley no to the massage due to the blood thinning drugs, which i assummed would be the case but that everything else would be fine. But what i am unsure about is if i can use the footspa on her, Would it be better to just use warm water in bowl with the pedicure soak? I've been back through my textbooks and notes and can't see any contraindications about foot spas, only in relation to diabetics and i've searched on here.
Anyone else had clients in a similar situation?

I would be interested to know why this lady is on blood thinning drugs. This is the question you need to ask her. Was it just for her hip op or because she suffered from a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) either pre or post operatively? Any massaging with a DVT must be strictly avoided.

I see no reason why you can't use a foot spa on her provided the temperature is comfortable for her, however, you need to consider if this lady is able to sit in a chair for the duration of her pedicure, bearing in mind her recent hip surgery.

She may benefit from having her pedi on a beauty couch instead where the angle of her hips can be extended.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to leave out the massage full stop as the clients daugher has already checked this out with the physio but i will do a full consultation first to be sure there are no more contra-indications. I've also checked that she will be able to sit a while and move her feet in and out of the water and her daughter said its no problem at all. Her daughter wants her to have a real treat to make her feel better so want to make sure everything is as comfy as possible for her.
Shame i don't have a couch at the moment, would have been perfect! thanks again

if she is on blood thinning drugs like warfarin, i would be very carefull with the cuticle work, especially nippers, because if you accidently cut her and she bleeds, it will be hard to stop it bleeding. x

I would be interested to know why this lady is on blood thinning drugs. This is the question you need to ask her. Was it just for her hip op or because she suffered from a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) either pre or post operatively? Any massaging with a DVT must be strictly avoided.

I see no reason why you can't use a foot spa on her provided the temperature is comfortable for her, however, you need to consider if this lady is able to sit in a chair for the duration of her pedicure, bearing in mind her recent hip surgery.

She may benefit from having her pedi on a beauty couch instead where the angle of her hips can be extended.

Hope this helps.
Hi,
sorry to ask but would you do initial soak on chair then move to couch or whole treatment on couch. How would you remove scrub/mask if feet not in bowl?
I would love to do pedi's on couch as it seems more relaxing for client and better for me as can get closer to work.
thanks

Hi,
I would agree that you should ask why she is taking the Warfarin. If patients are already on the medication it is usual to stop it 6 days before surgery and then re-start it afterwards.
If she is taking it because of problems related to the surgery, then you will need to check her post-op instructions that she received from the hospital when she was discharged.
Chiropodially she would be classed as a "High Risk Patient", so I wonder if your insurance would cover you for this type of client?

Latest posts

Back