For Nail Tech's who worked through the 80's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhh I also remember a make up brand called "vivay" or maybe "viva" it was direct selling similar to Avon and i used to LOVE going to the parties with my mum, if i remember rightly it was quiet expensive compared to other brands and the foundation smelt of CLAY!! I was trying to look up this company on the internet (from a historial perpective) so if anyone can remember the propper name PM me ! x

I remember watching the odd episode of DYNASTY, and seeing the long red nails.

:) Won't tell ya what I was up to thou:smack:

NailStyle said:
she was a famous runner who had really long finger nails..often painted in different colours....she died aged 36 i think....seizure of some sort.

I'm 25 born 1981 ....but I REMEMBER FLO JO!!!!!! she died of a heart attack aged 36, and turned out it was due to steriod use in her training, well thats what was said and I don't remeber there be anything said against it. By all acounts she'd had a few!! here's sum pictures of her!!

Ahhhh so thats what happened, funny how the media don't report that bit!!!!:rolleyes:

I thought she was fab any way. especally her nails!!

I was a seventies teenager myself and I used to wear black nail varnish which was very popular then, as was bright red.

At that time I cannot remember anyone having a french polish, let alone a manicure, I don't think there were many beauty/nail salons around then and the only one I can remember near me was frequented by ladies who lunch!

I also remember the 80's claws that were around as in Flo Jo, there was also Barry White's ex wife (Glodean) whose nails were even longer than Flo Jo's and were either bright red or gold if I remmber rightly. My god how did they ever do anything. Going to the loo must have been quite a scary experience (lol)!!

How glad are we all that times have changed and there is so much more to chose from in terms of technicians, salons etc.

Does any one remember the nail varnish pens? my mum and nan use to use them, they looked (and smelled!!) like a marker pen and they came in really pearly colours.

i began nails towards the end of the 80's with creative...the polishes were loud...tropinkal was always popular. gold plated stick ons for your little pinky were very in...thick silver stick on stripes that were a nightmare to apply...foiling...gold leaf....and those thin strips of gold that were also a nightmare to apply. permament french wasnt out yet but if you werent into loud and trashy you wore french polish, often clients liked a sheer gold over this.

e_lucy said:
I used to be allowed a bit of "tinklebell" nail varnish and rouge - does anyone else rememeber tinkerbell peal off nail varnish - its rubbish now cos they dont do it !

I remember the Tinkerbell varnish !!!

I had a pale pink one and for my birthday, my mum bought me the red one. I was SOOO happy and spend hours painting my little stumps (I was a nail biter).

River

was the tinkerbell varnish the one that just peeled off, i remember a peel off varnish, think it was for kiddies

Always pale pink varnish for me in the 80's. Twilight teaser lipstick, electric blue eyeliner and mascara, Leichner camera clear foundation, Boots Stocking leg tan (which rubbed off on all your clothes), Geminesse perfume and ..............a lovely mullet!
If nails had been popular around here then I would have been so happy.
Funny how I can remember all this and forget everything that happened last week/year.

*JOANNE* said:
was the tinkerbell varnish the one that just peeled off, i remember a peel off varnish, think it was for kiddies

Yeah it peeled off - it was really weird stuff, there would always be one little bit that had set like "grown up varnish" that was fun to pick off.

Tinkerbell also did a perfume - it really did smell horrible, but it made me feel all grown up !

1999judy said:
Always pale pink varnish for me in the 80's. Twilight teaser lipstick, electric blue eyeliner and mascara, Leichner camera clear foundation, Boots Stocking leg tan (which rubbed off on all your clothes), Geminesse perfume and ..............a lovely mullet!
If nails had been popular around here then I would have been so happy.
Funny how I can remember all this and forget everything that happened last week/year.

OMG, I just sat here and read this and oooooh does that bring back memories of Saturdays afternoons in town, searching through Boots to get replacements ready for a Sat night on the town, and my didn't me an my mates think we were cool ...pmsl:)

i think everyone in Loughborough at that time wore all the same stuff especially good old twilight teaser..lol

putting stick on nails on and doing your hair just for a saturday night on the town drinking special brew or merrydown cider through a straw...then having to get the last bus home and convince your parents you where soba

I wasnt a nail tech in the 80's but I was a teenager who loved doing my own nails. I remember I liked to use transfers. My favourite nail varnish colours were blue, black,white and glitter. Id do a base colour and then dots with the white. 1 nail blue/black with white spots then white with blue/black spots, or 1 hand one colour and the other hand a diff colour. i had lovely long nails and got a lot of compliments. Then I became a goth so it was mainly black or blue (no dots).xx

lexylove said:
Does any one remember the nail varnish pens? my mum and nan use to use them, they looked (and smelled!!) like a marker pen and they came in really pearly colours.
Oh, wow. Id forgotton them. I had loads, red, orange, pinks, even blue I think. My dad got me them which was really weird as he was totally against me wearing make up.
The 80's were wild. Mind you the 90' were pretty coo (dare I say 'groovy'? )too. Ah what a stroll down memory lane this all is.xx

*JOANNE* said:
putting stick on nails on and doing your hair just for a saturday night on the town drinking special brew or merrydown cider through a straw...then having to get the last bus home and convince your parents you where soba

lmao... that was me in the 90's!!!

I'm sure i read flo jo's nails were her own natural nails and not enhancements. Pls correct me if i'm wrong.
She was a fabulous athlete. Such a shame

[FONT=times, times new roman]
[SIZE=-2]THE UNEASY DEATH OF FLORENCE GRIFFITH JOYNER[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]|[/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]PAGE 1, 2, 3[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-4]- - - - - - - - - -[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]T[/SIZE]he Orange County Sheriff-Coroner's office began its investigation into Joyner's death after a 911 call by her husband just after 7 a.m. on Sept. 21. Investigators' notes describe the scene at the Joyners' two-story house on Bluejay Street in Mission Viejo as "very cluttered and unkept [sic]." Joyner was "in upstairs bedroom supine on carpeted floor next to bed. Bed is unmade and area where [Joyner's] face was when she was disc[overed] by husband is wet. ([Joyner] was originally [found] face down into pillow in bed ... Arms are bent at elbows w/hands up near shoulders. Eyes are open. Hands are not clenched [emphasis in original]. Mouth is open slightly. [No] trauma obs[erved]." One of her trademark fingernails, on her left ring finger, had been broken; another broke during fingerprinting of the body.
Deputy Coroner Leslie Meader began her investigation at 8:45 a.m. During the first interview, the deceased's husband, Al Joyner, said he had last seen his wife alive at 2 a.m., when she went to bed. He then watched television for a while and went to bed himself, and found her apparently dead some time after 6:30. He attempted to resuscitate her, then called 911, and resumed efforts to revive his wife. Joyner was pronounced dead on the scene, and Meader said the likely time of her death was 4 a.m.
Autopsy surgeon Richard Fukumoto started his work just before noon. He began his initial report with a description, oddly poignant, of the flamboyant track star's famous nails: "The hands show long false fingernails, painted in various colors from red to blue, with the long nail on the left side having designs and the one on the left middle finger having the initials FGJ. The toenails are likewise painted with purplish polish."
Within a half hour, Fukumoto came to the findings that would lead him to call homicide investigators: petechial hemorrhages in the chest, neck, eyes, cheeks and breasts, and Tardieu's spots on the chest wall. Both petechial hemorrhages and Tardieu's spots can be evidence of strangulation. Fukumoto immediately stopped the autopsy, waiting for the arrival of personnel from the sheriff's crime lab and homicide investigators. The autopsy then proceeded with homicide detectives present, and at its conclusion Fukumoto was unable to determine a cause of death. The investigation continued, with Joyner's death officially labeled "questioned."
That evening sheriff's deputies reinterviewed Al Joyner, who changed his original story slightly. Instead of watching television and going to bed after seeing his wife alive at 2 a.m., he actually went to his office, he told them, which "was not unusual," according to case notes. "He would often go to his office at night because he could get more work done without the phone ringing," Joyner told the deputies. He revealed he had found his wife face down with her own hands under her neck, which could account for the hemorraging discovered there.
Al Joyner declined to speak with Salon about this story. His attorney, Paul Meyer, refused to comment on the discrepancies between Joyner's first and second versions of his whereabouts on the night his wife died. "We don't have any comment. We're not going to rehash or relive that difficult process. Grieving is a long process and Mr. Joyner appreciates the privacy he's been afforded so he can work this through," Meyer told Salon.
Joyner also told the deputies about his wife's history of seizures and "zoning out," though at that point there is no mention in the notes that she suffered from epilepsy. Four days later, on Sept. 25, homicide investigators learned from "a family attorney" that Joyner had a grand mal seizure in 1990. Follow-up investigation at several hospitals revealed she had been treated for seizures in 1990, 1993 and 1994.
In the following weeks, tests continued to try to determine a cause of death. Examinations of Joyner's heart, lungs, brain and other organs revealed a few abnormalities, but nothing consistent with Fukumoto's original suspicion of strangulation. No fractures to bones or cartilage in the neck were discovered.
Speculation continued in the media about Joyner's use of steroids or other performance-enhancing drugs, and how they might have contributed to her death. But drugs and foul play were not the only possible suspects. According to coroner's office case notes, advocates for other causes saw their own pet issues in the track star's sudden demise. A representative of the Chemical Injury Network called the coroner to suggest Joyner had died as a result of insecticide poisoning. A doctor who heads the AntiDairy Coalition also phoned to say a dairy allergy might have caused Joyner's death. There was another call from a woman suggesting Joyner had died of Lyme disease.
Finally, on Oct. 22, a month and a day after Joyner died, the sheriff-coroner's office released an amended cause of death. Changing the original document, which listed "pending investigation" under "immediate cause," the new document listed three causes:
1) positional asphyxia 2) epileptiform seizure 3) cavernous angioma, left orbital frontal cerebrum
The third "cause" referred to a brain abnormality discovered during the autopsy that made Joyner subject to seizures. In lay person's terms, the coroner found Joyner had suffocated in her pillow during a severe epileptic seizure.
Experts on epilepsy immediately insisted the finding of death was extremely unlikely. "This is a distinctly unusual complication of an epileptic seizure," Dr. Michael Risinger of the Stanford Comprehensive Epilepsy Center told the Los Angeles Times. Interviewed by Salon, Risinger amplified his remarks. "It's true persons can asphyxiate during epileptic seizures. But it's very rare." Risinger wanted to reassure others suffering from epilepsy that Joyner's death was a highly unlikely result of a seizure, he said.
Given the continuing mystery, Salon shared Joyner's autopsy records with pathologists and one of the leading experts on steroid use, who reviewed the coroner's investigation and came to their own conclusions.
[SIZE=-2]N E X T+P A G E+|[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]"A compulsive, crazy, lying lunatic"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-3]- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Become a Salon member. Click here.[/SIZE] [/FONT]

I was in my early twenties in the 80's (born 1962).

I remember i was so important to have your hair as BIG & STICKING OUT as possible, helped by lashings of high hair spray, so it was rock hard too!

Bat wing dresses or jumpers.
Dresses with 'peplums' round the waist (big overhang typr frill thing)
Pencil skirts & stillettoes
High necked Lady Di blouses with frills around the neck
Velvet jackets (was that the 70's!!!):lol:
Big plastic earring & necklaces
Shoes & matching handbag for EVERY outfit, in Every colour!

Nails - i used to buy the sets where you stuck a tip on half way up your nail & put on LOADS of glue. Then you literally filed your nautural nail to shreds :Scared: where the seam line was - making sure to keep all the dust that accumulated on the nail & add more glue to the dust on the seam line. Let it dry and file it smooth! I always had very long, very red talons. When they broke, which was quickly ( can't think why!!) my nails were trashed!:eek:

My Aunt who lives in Doncaster has been doing acrylic nails for almost 30yrs, i always remember hers to be very stilletto shaped & painted purple/pink!

Latest posts

Back