Formaldehyde confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salpep

Reaction score
Right as I understand it formaldehyde is a gas and has nothing to do with nails?
But the form of formaldehyde we use in nail harders etc is formalin?
So if I have got my facts right, why then does it have on polish/nail harders etc formaldehyde free and not formalin free?

Or am I missing something here?
:hug:

Formaldehyde is a very simple reactive chemical that occurs as a gas, but can be combined easily to form other compounds.

The most common use of fomaldehyde is a 'wood'
And by memory the gas was at one stage used as a fumigator for treating wood against termites etc. However there is still a lot of contraversy as the health effects can be severe when overexposure occurs. I beleive it is a listed as a possible carcinogen

Formalin is the liquid form (when it is dissolved and reacted with water)
The liquid form is most commonly used in the storage and preservation of dead tissue - ie they pickel organs etc in it...

In nail polish it is used as a liquid as it causes keratin cells (amino acids) to form additional bonds, making the nail plate harder - the down sides are:
1) over brittle - it does not stop forming additional bonds - the more you apply the more brittle the plate becomes
2) continued application will push it right through the plate - meaning not just the surface is treated but the entire plate
3) it will turn the nail plate yellow
4) it has a very high allergy rating and can easily cause irritation of soft tissue

Formaldehyde is a restricted chemical in beauty products due to it's health effects and easy over use - so it has to be restricted in the % included and as consumer awareness rises it's less and less put up with...

Formalin however - is a synthetic man made version - the exact same base formula but with a new name... that's it, the only difference overall...

Hope that helps

If you are really interested in this type of subject get ahold of Doug Schoons natural nail anatomy & product chemistry edition 2 - it has a huge amount of info into chemicals etc!

Last edited:
Just to add a tiny bit of info, because I'm not sure where your question stems from...

How many of you are aware that formaldehyde is used to decaffeinate coffee?

Yes, this is fact and NOT a myth. My girlfriend's father worked at a coffee company. She won't touch the stuff now LMFAO.

Just thought I'd point that out because of all the fears surrounding different chemicals and the current trend of "3-free" etc...

When chemicals are used safely, they are not the monsters they are portrayed to be in many cases.

Just thought I'd point that out.

ps: Thanks Envy for that post! lovely info. I need to read Doug's book again (I also need to get my butt in gear and get the newest edition)

Firstly I would like to thank Envy for giving me a very clear understanding, really sweet of you hun x

Secondly Vhunter... Ewwwww that is a horrible fact lol..Do you know how they do it?

I will get Doug's book sounds very interesting

xx

Hey Vicky

Just to follow up on your decaffinated coffee observation - this is actually a rare processing for coffee - generally falling under the 'triglyceride process' where combinations of triglycerides (sometimes including formalin) are used to disolve off the caffeine

The most common technique is now either the 'swiss water process' or the 'direct process' where they commonly use methylene chloride or ethyl acetate to dissolve the caffeine

so even though your local roastery may be using formaldehyde, this is by far not the only way of doing it - and you are right:

chemicals are ALL dangerous when used in the wrong way!

Take a read of this thread, it's a little thought provoker for how chemicals can be made to sound SCARY :)

Chemical Danger?

Last edited:
Thanks Envy, but yes, I was aware of that.:hug: I just wanted to point out that it was used. I didn't mean it was the only way though. I should have clarified. My bad.:o

And I love you and your posts... but please, please, pretty please don't call me Vicky. Makes me absolutely bonkers LMFAO
It's Victoria or Vic, or B***h, but never Vicky

:wink2:

ps: and Mrs. Hunter is reserved for my Mom. I'm not THAT old yet hahahaha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back