Forms vs. tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to sculpt my L&P and tip my gels

pinkmummy said:
I favour sculpting if possible, but there are times when I have to use a tip.
If the clients nail just wont look good, for example severe nail biters or ski jump nails.:hug:

why dont you dont you sculpt the pink first extending it a little using a more opaque pink so you cant see the damamge and then sculpt the white. Sculpting has NO limits and a nail biter would definately not stop you from sculpting! x x

i enjoy sculpting but i am a tipper at heart, think its because i first learnt using tips.
if it requires it i will sculpt but i tip most of the time

Delisnails said:
I love sculpted nails as they are quicker, stronger, thinner and more natural looking, my clients love them

Snap!!!! I love doing sculpts as fined them so much easier to do than tips & the end results is fab!!!:)

im not really sure which I prefer- I trained with tips and got the hang of them but didnt like all the filing. I then went onto do a course in sculpting- I really enjoyed it and did well for my first attempts but I did a set last week and was really disappointed with the finished nails so I went back to tips again.

I think in the end I prefer sculpting but its going to take a lot of practising before I get fully confident in doing them!

I do both and i find each has their purpose, sometimes nails can be so ugly in shape they are beyond sculptures, therefore I use a tip, it would be nice to see more pictures of before and after work (in mags etc) of people likely to walk into our salons, rather than perfect nail beds, if everyone had great nail beds our job would be much easier ........most people that walk into my salon with great nail beds, i talk out of acrylics and start them on a manicure course with me ( i make the same money, based on time)
I've even seen at nail shows a steady stream of perfect nail bedded models for acrylic demonstrations (with miss/Mrs average nail beds being turned away) .....odd huh? Strange but true .....
When i do sculptures i prefer to use the old fashioned re-usable aluminum forms, i find i can shape them, pinch them, contort them into any shape i want, including the pinch that builds in a sidewall strength channel ( a slightly unnoticeable thicker core down either side).
I was once disqualified in a competition (accused of using tips in a sculptures comp) reinstated of course after proving myself by breaking a nail off my model in front of the judges (apologies all round) and a first place trophy.

A good sculpture will blow a tip out of the water any day

I am rapidly becoming a form convert, loving sculptured nails on forms, think they look great, clients think its fab and they are definatley stronger. i just need to get more practice in LOL as i am 'gel' girl and learnt my trade with sculpture gel i am finding it easy but just need to narrow down my technique a bit more.

Latest posts

Back