free NVQ 2 beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought I would update you on this one and what I found out today when I visited the college.
This is part of a 19 + government initiative to get mums/unemployed etc back into the workplace. The government has up to know assumed that is you are over 19 then you can pay for a place, as many know this is not correct for everyone so they launched this course (and others) part time in the evenings in some colleges as a pilot.
You must have an interview and the places are very few (12 places and 200 applicants).
This may be a taste of things to come as if this takes off then they are also looking to do this with NVQ3. You must pay for kit (£200) unless you get learning support.
Just thought I would share what I found out with you all.
Sam X

This is very similar to the college I go to. If you are a full time student (14 hours or more I think) Then any course is free. With the NVQ level 2 we paid £250ish for our kits all had to pay for this unless claiming benefits. Out of 16 places only 2 could go to mature students (Iwas there waiting at 8:30 for a 10am enrolment Iwas desparate for a place).
I thought all colleges ran full time courses for free (not private ones just state run). I know it still costs a fortune to buy everything though.
Lisa
xxxx

This is very similar to the college I go to. If you are a full time student (14 hours or more I think) Then any course is free. With the NVQ level 2 we paid £250ish for our kits all had to pay for this unless claiming benefits. Out of 16 places only 2 could go to mature students (Iwas there waiting at 8:30 for a 10am enrolment Iwas desparate for a place).
I thought all colleges ran full time courses for free (not private ones just state run). I know it still costs a fortune to buy everything though.
Lisa
xxxx

Me to !!

So what if the course is free, I didn't pay for mine (was 16 when i started) & there were a few girls 21+ that joined the course for free.

The only things we had to pay for were our kits which were about £300 for each year. I know that the college would pay for kits if you had proof of low income, benefits etc. Which I think is a great idea although it is open to abuse as people would probably think twice about dropping out if they had to pay for it !

The course I did at college was means tested, the application took into account your income. Doing this course has literally changed my life. I have three children under 5, one of which I fell pregnant with whilst doing the course! I have always wanted to be a Beauty Therapist but, as you know, there's always something that comes up that needs to be paid for. I know some of my fellow students on the course had to pay but just because a couple of us didn't have to doesn't mean we valued it any less.
With regards to the training in schools for younger people, i'm all for it. Its not just beauty training, its across the board with all vocational courses, the stress of doing exams leads so many kids into meltdown that vocational training is often a better option, much better that kids can actually get a taste of a profession to go into rather than doing a load of stressful exams which might not take them anywhere, any of you guys use algebra??....hope that doesn't sound like a rant, lots of teachers in the family so it gets discussed alot xxx

there is alot of people in the college im going that most of the people dropped out did pay for there kit i was speaking to the tutor and she the mostly take there kits and sell it to get there money back so i dont really think that someone getting there kit for free or paying for it will make a diffrence in dropping out if there gonna do it they will

Latest posts

Back