free NVQ 2 beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellasmum

Reaction score
I was sent a leaflet from a local college today offering a free part time NVQ2 beauty course.....I was suprised.
Anyone else seen these sort of flyers? I am wondering why free, I rang them and the girl taking names for interview said she really did not know...is it that they cant the fill places? Just interesed as to be honest I was thinking of doing the course anyway.....

I cannot comment on that college as i do not know, but most colleges offer a free level two qualification to those who do not have a level two (or equivalent) qualifcation,(in any subject area). this is a government initiative to upskill the nation.For example, you left school with little or no quals, and never undertook any further education.
HTHs xx:)

And I have just spend hundreds of pounds to do my Level 2. :eek:

So have many other people I know and thats why I was so suprised. Did you enjoy the course Debs?
Sam

So have many other people I know and thats why I was so suprised. Did you enjoy the course Debs?
Sam

I'm actually still doing it! We finish in June and I'm counting the weeks now. I can't wait to get out there for myslef and get my own clients and start building my business. It's something I've dreamed of doing for years.:green:

If you have under 5 GCSEs a-c NVQ2 courses are free.

Well I have no GCSE's because they didn't exist when I was at school :)eek:) but I still had to pay. :irked:

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but it does irritate me that I did well in school, am working in a full-time job and am using all of my money (besides mortgage, bills, etc) to train. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Is this serious ?

What was the point in me even sitting my exams then,igot 9 a to c's :grr:

i thought courses were free if you are under 19 or on certain state benefits

but hang on if the course is free is there not a chance you may get some applicants only doing because its free

i thought courses were free if you are under 19 or on certain state benefits

but hang on if the course is free is there not a chance you may get some applicants only doing because its free

Certainly in our area i will only have to pay for my daughters kit as she is 16.If you are 19 you have to pay for the course unless you are on benefits.
I am all for helping people who want to become educated and work ,but i do feel that if they drop out of the course before they are qualified they should be made to pay a penalty so that they think twice before starting the course in the first place.

hi the course i start is free because im on benefits i dont think it is fair that some people have to pay for them because there working ive been looking for work over a year now with no luck its so hard with no gcse's but i do agree if someone drops out they should have to pay for the stuff they have had

the college states that if your under 19 or recieve benefits then your entilled to a discount or even free
but if you work and are over 19 then you have to pay which is about £320 for 1 year

Certainly in our area i will only have to pay for my daughters kit as she is 16.If you are 19 you have to pay for the course unless you are on benefits.
I am all for helping people who want to become educated and work ,but i do feel that if they drop out of the course before they are qualified they should be made to pay a penalty so that they think twice before starting the course in the first place.

I agree with Gillian as there should be a penalty for students who drop out.
While i was at college there were a record number of students that dropped and that cost students who wanted to get on the course.
As for me my training WAS free at the college as the college i went to had policies on adults returning back to college(i was 28 when i went back to college:eek:)after completing my baccalaureat,some years earlier.
Yes it was free but i was at college full time doing level 2 and then level 3 so i was not part time,but i state categorically i was working and holding down 3 jobs in the evening while i was at college.I mean i still had to have an income!!
It did sadden me when students droppedout and now i hear of stedents starting beauty earlier now at 14 or 15.Its some sort of government scheme:|

Im doing NVQ2 and paid £15 then £250 for kit. Now though if I want to do NVQ3 or holistics then I will have to pay £700 plus which I cant afford so really gutted!

I am going to go on and do a full body massage course though!

I have left message at the college to get a definative answer to the question....why is it free? As yet no response. If it is free because of the qualifications thing then I am out of luck and for once I am over qualified!!!
The flyer says cost: Free. At no point does it have any caveat against this statement....
I will let you know when I hear something.
I totally agree with the proposed drop out claus.
Sam

It did sadden me when students droppedout and now i hear of stedents starting beauty earlier now at 14 or 15.Its some sort of government scheme:|

Yes some schools offer nvq 1 as a vocational qualification as part of their options at 14.They do a day or so at college.The colleges only take a few from each school though.

Yes some schools offer nvq 1 as a vocational qualification as part of their options at 14.They do a day or so at college.The colleges only take a few from each school though.[/quote]

My stepdaughter's (she's 15) doing this. It seems a good idea as they leave school with a vocational qualification, but she has struggled with her GCSE course work as she misses a day of school every week to go to college. So there are pluses and minuses to this scheme.

Also and i could be wrong but i think if they dont get on the course (and they take very few) they can then end up having to do a subject back at school they really do not want to make up numbers.
The options choice plan leaves a lot to answer for.Its not as simple as just picking what subjects you want to do its all in catagories..if you pick this you cant do that etc etc.

With my stepdaughter's course, apparently they either take the brighter kids who they think can manage the extra work, or the really disruptive one that the teachers want out of the classroom!!:eek:

Just thought I would update you on this one and what I found out today when I visited the college.
This is part of a 19 + government initiative to get mums/unemployed etc back into the workplace. The government has up to know assumed that is you are over 19 then you can pay for a place, as many know this is not correct for everyone so they launched this course (and others) part time in the evenings in some colleges as a pilot.
You must have an interview and the places are very few (12 places and 200 applicants).
This may be a taste of things to come as if this takes off then they are also looking to do this with NVQ3. You must pay for kit (£200) unless you get learning support.
Just thought I would share what I found out with you all.
Sam X

Latest posts

Back