French Anyone???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi
I am about 10 mins away ,i live in a village called chabanais if you leave (st j) towards anglomme you have to pass through my village . Ive looked at your profile and you do alot of things maybe we could meet when you get settled. :green:

Hi
I am about 10 mins away ,i live in a village called chabanais if you leave (st j) towards anglomme you have to pass through my village . Ive looked at your profile and you do alot of things maybe we could meet when you get settled. :green:
We're hoping to settle in Chaillac Sur Veinne (this is where my parents are) - Would be great to meet up too x

Good luck its a big move but well worth it we would'nt move back .How old are your children? . I have twins age 3 1/2 boy and girl (nightmare at the moment) can't wait for them to go back to school. :)

Mine are 8 and 5 both boys but if we don't do it now we'll never do it and want to move before they get too old, at least that way it won't be too much of a struggle for them to learn the language.

how exciting!

ANd....a geeky friend not too far away too !:green:

COuld you do a 'trial' 6 months/year or something to see how it goes maybe?

Good luck mate !

can i come visit you on vacation lol
just kidding
i m in paris surburb

how exciting!

ANd....a geeky friend not too far away too !:green:

COuld you do a 'trial' 6 months/year or something to see how it goes maybe?

Good luck mate !

It's gonna be all or nothing as we have to sell up everything.....

But exciting adventure.

I don't have to work to be truthfully honest but it would be nice not to have to rely on someone else if you know what I mean.

can i come visit you on vacation lol
just kidding
i m in paris surburb

We could have a French geek meet and you could stay lol x

lol yeah sounds like a plan :green:

Mine are 8 and 5 both boys but if we don't do it now we'll never do it and want to move before they get too old, at least that way it won't be too much of a struggle for them to learn the language.
your children are a perfect age, not only for settling in but also learning the language, they're like little sponges at that age and i'll bet you that once you're moved and they're in a local school that they'll be speaking virtually fluently within a year.
our children were older when we moved to Spain two and a half years ago, they're 15 and 12 now and their Spanish is excellent, the majority of their friends are Spanish and they're more settled here than they ever were in England.
there are quite a few expat web forums out there, Google is a wealth of information, so hopefully you'll be able to do loads of research and get all the help and advice you need.
it's a brave move, and not one that anyone takes lightly, but one that you won't regret provided you research well and aim to learn the language, it isn't easy at first but once you start picking up the language things get loads easier.
Good Luck :hug:

My hubbys parents live in Pengan(Brehan) , bit further north than Limoges, but I also have a friend that lives there, she has a holiday home at the moment and wants to move full time soon.

Hubby's parents use a forum that is really good, I'll try and get the links for it for you. There are loads of english people living in the area that they live and they are meeting new people all the time.

If there is anything that you want help with I am sure they will help, so just PM me if there is anything we can do to help.

HTH

Rachel

Hi,
Sorry this is long.

Have just read through this post I have always thought it wonderful when people want to do something different and experience new things in life, my family moved to France four years ago now I had the benefit of my husband is French and from the area we live in, life here is of a better quality you can relax and enjoy life more the weather is fantastic and it does save on shelving out for holidays overseas every year and it's fantastic learning a new language and seeing how others live, it's nice to know my children will speak two languages. You can go skiing in the morning and be back home in time to go to the beach in the afternoon, there is easy access to neighbouring countries which is great and all by car it's like driving from London to Manchester. You get to spend more time with your family and you can leave the rat race behind.

But.... there's always a but, with the sweet comes the bitter, France is a hard place to live especially if you don't speak the language although you say you have your parents living there which will make things a little easier for you, the French bureaucracy is the most frustrating part of living here and nothing to do with paper work can just be done simply and without stress, the tax you pay here will give you a heart attack and after you have a heart attack you will have to pay for the privilage of them saving your life at the hospital (no NHS system here, you can claim back a percentage here as long as you are CCSS registered, again with the paper work), You have to have insurance for everything and crime is on the up. Opening a business is near impossible because of all of the above and most fold within the first year. Unemployment is very high and wages are low, cost of living can be very high and don't expect to get home comforts from the supermarket that we brits like they will cost a fortune (example, a bar of Cadburys whole nut will cost you around 2.00€). If you come from a big city and used to getting everyday things done quickly you wont, get used to everything being a slow service, companies, shops, everything. The housing is another issue you will have to get used to along with finding the right place to live get used to being shell shocked with the standard of houses here it is not to Uk standards. Apart from eating all that lovely Med food don't expect to be able to get take away food Indian, fish and chips, anything easily especially if you don't live in one of the major cities this goes for general house hold stuff also. You have to drive or life is impossible here, Many people along with myself after the glee of living here has worn off find themselves very very home sick and depressed especially in winter. The French, and this is not to be rude to the French but my opinion and lots of expats living here, are very rude and think themselves above everyone else and you will have to prove yourself to them to be accepted. Life is not always greener.

I myself know that even though I love living here and I have a very good life financially and socially and enjoy so much of the French way and probably will for many years, this will never be my home and it is just a period of my life when I will say " I lived in France for many years". My son was born here my husband is French so I will always have a strong connection with the country but I am British at heart.

Of course these feelings do not go for everyone that live here some do intergrate very well and find there time here a great pleasure always and don't mind the bad points although you have to be a hard nut fot it to not get to you, but generally they are the ones who are not moving from their home country because they want to get away from "their lives" they are the ones who want to experience different cultures. The best advice I could give is if you want to live in France do not sell up in the UK but rent out your home and keep that as an income to rent a property in France and until you are sure you want to stay. Get all the paperwork sorted and research everything before you go don't leave any stone unturned, take a few trips during the year before you move in different seasons so you get a feel of the area and how it changes throughout the year. Try and learn a good level of conversation French before you go it will help you so much. Learn the local customs this is important the French take it so seariously. A good website to look at is AngloInfo.com it is the best forum for British expats living in France and is filled with info on everything you will need to know.

Good luck and if you need any info please PM me.

about french people being rude i feel you on that
when ou go south it s very hard to be accepted even for us
when you come from paris and you go to marseilles they call you names and all
it s a weird mentality
they see every people as invaders
another thing is in some part of the country
especially country side where british peoplemove to get a better quality of living the houses prices have rised up because of these new potential buyers so some locals are upset about it because they can t afford a house in their hometown anymore
and it s also true that french people are not too good for other languages
it s not my case obviously lol
but i m a "bad" example
i still had problems to understand british accent i m used to american acent ;)

once you have proved you are a nice person it gets better
i even seen people in some village tryin to learn bits of english to communicate with their new neighbors :green: so funny to hear

hi i agree with daddywishfish you do have to go along with the french life it is so much different ,You have to start your circle of friends again which is hard, and also the french rules and regs (tax etc). I think if you have the opp and you could rent your england home then do that to see if you can do it . Its all about how you see things .Me and my husband didnt have a circle of friends that we went out much so that was one thing we didnt miss .The lingo is very hard we had lessons and on are third level and dont really know anything ( if you do take lessons try to have a one 2 one cause when you go to night school you go through things that you dont need ie:booking a hotel etc)HOPE I DONT PUT YOU OFF but you do get good things and its a good time trying . When you come out see about schools ,we done that so they dont have to travel along time (school hours 9 till 430).Any info you need if i can help i will
good luck

Oh and I forgot to mention, if you want to have an easier time when and if you move regarding paper work which a lot of you will have to do at the town hall and generel admin stuff, make friends with the mayor of the town, invite him or her for a drink at your home. Your life in your new town will be so much more hassle free. I know this is cheeky and a bit under handed but gives you so many bonus points.

Regards.

Thank you both for such helpful advice, I'll definitely be calling on you both lol x

Just to let you all know - due to problems with pregnancy, my other half has decided to send me early and I'm leaving on Thursday (16th Nov). As soon as I'm settled and have got the kids settled into school I promise I'll be back on x

Well Good luck and huge :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know how hard it can be upping sticks but you'll get sorted before long. xxx:green:

thanks honey x

Just to let you all know - due to problems with pregnancy, my other half has decided to send me early and I'm leaving on Thursday (16th Nov). As soon as I'm settled and have got the kids settled into school I promise I'll be back on x

best of luck mate :hug: :hug:

Latest posts

Back