French polish, air pockets in polish??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missvain

Reaction score
Its funny that I am more confident doing a set of french acrylic/gel than french polish. But anyways, I had a really wierd encounter with a customer:

3rd day after her manicure, my client commented that she noticed "air pockets" in the polish, and then the polish started to peel when the air pockets reached the edges. She could actually see how the white kind of "puffs up" in areas where there were air pockets. Why is this so?

What did I do wrong? Her pedicure was fine though.

Thanks in advance :)

Hiya Hun,
did you do a good prep on the nails before enamel application?
As if there are any contaminents & oil on the nail plate, the polish wont get a proper 'grip' & will start to peel.
& some enamels do this more than others.
Here are some helpful links...
http://www.salongeek.com/finishing-maintenance/11972-precision-polishing.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...hnique-tips.html?highlight=french+application
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...nail-polish.html?highlight=french+application
Hope this helps x

Thanks for the links Ruth. It seems I'm following the procedures outlined in the articles and threads. Do you think it'd help if I put an extra coat of top coat for protection? Or perhaps my white was too thick? :irked: Can't understand why the white polish lifted and caused "pockets" in areas..

By the way, here's how I did the french:
1. Base coat
2. Pink
3. White
4. Pink over white (if client wants softer look)
5. Top coat

Also, should I apply 1 or 2 coats of white for french?

not really sure on this one, but make sure each layer is dry before you apply the next. You coul dbe applyin gto think also,

Like i say i'm not too sure, plus i hate doing french polishes, because i can't do them and then lose my rag because it's not perfect..:smack:

sorry hope this isn't a stoopid Q but are u rolling the bottles of polish rather than shaking them-as i know that can cause air bubbles in the polish-either that or could u b applying it too thick?

I roll the bottle, don't shake them :) Its actually an air pocket, not like the teeny weeny bubbles we normally get from shaking the bottle too much. You know how when you stick a large piece of decal on something, and you get some air trapped during the application? And then you have an air pocket? I think that is what my client means. *shrug*

And yes, I get totally stressed out over french polish too!! Give me pink and white sculpture anytime please . But not french polish. Aaaargh.

Maybe you're right about my french white being too thick - i usually put 2 coats of white. Is that too much?

Thank you for all your replies.

I roll the bottle, don't shake them :) Its actually an air pocket, not like the teeny weeny bubbles we normally get from shaking the bottle too much. You know how when you stick a large piece of decal on something, and you get some air trapped during the application? And then you have an air pocket? I think that is what my client means. *shrug*

Sounds like there is a residue on the nail or you're not giving each layer timeto dry.

And yes, I get totally stressed out over french polish too!! Give me pink and white sculpture anytime please . But not french polish. Aaaargh.

I know :lol:

Maybe you're right about my french white being too thick - i usually put 2 coats of white. Is that too much?

Two thin coats should be fine.

Thank you for all your replies.

P'm Scattyfox, she is the queen of natural nails...:hug:

Thanks everyone for all the pointers. :hug: I'll keep in mind all you've mentioned and HOPE that I will remember - to remember - all that's been mentioned. Now I'm feeling a little more confident doing french, with these tip in hand :) Lets hope my confidence will last until my next customer requests french (which is very very likely.. oh no.. ) :irked:

If her polish is rising after she has left and it didnt happen to her pedicure which was painted with the same polishes i would put it down to a couple of things.

1. that there was some oil on the nail plate- but you would have noticed it to be honest at the time

2. She was using some sort of chemical for cleaning maybe that has caused pocket lifting after she has left you.

3. Maybe the client is on medication of some sort its worth checking with her, some clients are the type that polish peels off of them but i've not heard of air pockets before i must admit, that only means that i ahvent come across them yet not that they dont exist.

Thanks Scattyfox :) I'll be sure to ask her about any medication or harsh cleaning chemicals that she may have used, and I'll double check next time for any oil left on the nail plates too.

I have had this happen too. It's very annoying, usually i mtake it all off and start again being extra extra diligent with prep. I'm usually very good with prep but when i do it all again rarely get a repeat. Never know what causes it:irked:

Bloss

Hi Blossey, what do you tell your customer when that happens to their french polish? Would you offer to do it again for free (assuming it happened only a few days after the service)? HOw do you explain what happened to the polish?

Thanks in advance :)

Miss Vain what kind of polish are you using?
And maybe the LAYERS of polish are too much- try skipping the first step of pink and go straight to the white, THEN the pink.... I have a harder time with polish on my hands- polish on my feet lasts forever ;) Thats why I love my ENHANCEMENTS so ;)
GOOD LUCK!!

I use OPI polish. Don't think its the polish. I'll try thinner / less layers as suggested, and more thorough prep. thanks!

Latest posts

Back