French Shellac ... I've been messy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddlesore

Reaction score
Tonight I did my first shellac french finish and it looked awesome and was easier than I thought it would be....but the client had a very small if not none existent free edge and I ended up getting some cream puff on her skin!

I hate this as it looks unprofessional and its annoyed me beyond mad as the finish was lovely.

Anyway have you any advice with technique so I can get past this apart from dont get it on the skin :p...dont want it becoming an issue.

All help appreciated xx

Oh that sounds like my mum's nails. She has a free edge on some and absolutely none on others (reasons given in other posts about weak nails!) so it drives me mad doing a manicure on her. Only thing I can advise is when I'm holding the finger I pull back a little on the finger tip to try and create as much of an edge as I can.

Sounds a little violent I know, but if you pull back gently it can work a treat.

Oh for clients with lovely free edge nails - wouldn't that be great!

Hi, I always find this happens on short nails especially as you need to cap the free edge, I just wipe it straight off with either my nail or if its a lot the end of an orance stick, then cure.xx

you could always use a clean acrylic brush/cotton bud dipped in D-Sperse to clean up any messy bits before the curing. hth

Would acetone work on a cotton bud then before the cure?

I was so annoyed but the end result on the nails looked great at least just feel like the service wasnt perfect and thats what we all strive for.

If the acetone would work ill ensure I have that nearby next time....I was swiping the mess with my nail and an orange stick but it was making it worse and then of course I cured and well you can imagine the rest!:eek:

not acetone as you could break down the shellac, d-sperse is better as it wont do that, its what we use to remove the tacky layer. I was also told to use this for neatening the edge for a french polish if needed. If you apply base coat, one coat of pink THEN apply your white you can do this without damage to the shellac, then apply your top coat.kx

Nail fresh by Cnd is great for this used with a small brush no 6 say. I always tidy up smiles and any on skin after doing all 5 fingers.

I gently pullback the top off skin under nail abd use a orangewood stick to remove any excess then a brush dampened not wet with a little nail fresh using quick firm stroke will remove any product almost like magic, sane goes for smile line, I use an old base coat brush to apply my crem puff or a little slanted good quality make up brush I have works great. I do my whites in one go and then correct if need be, light touch quite quick otherwise I tend to be to heavy , roll the finger also .

By the way...WELL DONE YOU sounds like you are going to be busy! did you take any pics of the finished result? I have got better with my french the more I have done. I LOVE Shellac!!! lol

Kate, is nail fresh similar to d-sperse?Kx

If D.Sperse is working for you, then stick with it as it is the recommended product to use with Shellac.

Nail Fresh is the best product for nail polish detailing in the world. :lol: it cleans up while leaving no streaks or mess at all. It is an Ether based product and CND are not recommending it's use with Shellac. I use it, but then I have used it for years and I know how to use it without compromising the Shellac.

You stick with D.Sperse ... You'll be fine with that.

I did get a photo...ill post it in my album.

lol its messy though dont want anyone laughing :o

I would definately use a brush or an orange stick to tidy up the skin - don't go near it with a cotton bud though! You don't want to spend ten minutes picking out fuzzies out of your Shellac!

I've been so busy with Shellac I'm almost forgetting how to do a French polish using a regular nail polish... it doesn't "swipe" as nice!!

:lol: I only meant cotton bud on the skin of the finger Serpantine not actual contact with the shellac. Incidentally is there such a thing as fibre free wipes as all of the ones I have had supposed 'lint free' are as fluffy as hell!

:lol: I only meant cotton bud on the skin of the finger Serpantine not actual contact with the shellac. Incidentally is there such a thing as fibre free wipes as all of the ones I have had supposed 'lint free' are as fluffy as hell!

HandsDown Nail Wipes (200pk)

I bought some of those wipes by mistake at my distributors and they are totally lint free and fab :green:

Yeah Im needing to clean up the underneath of the free edge so wouldnt touch the application...good god what a mess I would be in then hehe.

Also the lint free pads I have are the same....very odd because there isnt anything left behind on the np after prep and then after scrub freshing the surface when i come to apply base all these bits come from nowhere!!!

Im sure they hide from me and as soon as the base comes out BOOM!!

Latest posts

Back