french shellac .. just cant get nice finish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
french shellac .. i go cold when this is requested, thank goodness not that often - however, i think it can look so pretty when done well, id like to be able to get a perfect finish so that i can offer it to my clients

probs with smile line: not straight enough, pitted - the cream puff went over the edge of the nail and onto the skin, i cleaned it off fingertips before curing but client said felt sticky underneath free edge! grrr

I too have the same problem with regards to the pitting. I think this is due to the Shellac being too thick on the nail, but I find that although its a solid colour, when you put it on it doesn't seem to cover well and the brush strokes show!!!
In regards to the white on the skin-this will happen if the client has short nails. I skim off with my nail before curing and then when I have fully completed the set and wiped off the inhibition layer I use the same pad to then run along the edges of all the fingers/toes and it removes any polish residue on the skin.

It doesn't help doing a French on short nails I get it on the skin too, but like said get what you can off as you go and I use a cotton bud or a wipe with acetone to get the last little tricky bits if I need to. The pitting is as said product too thick I do two very thin coats which usually covers well but cream puff is a tricky one to work with it took me ages to perfect my shellac French but it does get easier the more you do it :)

I just watched a video on youtube of fingernailfixer and its really explained things.
When done applying, wipe the brush really well to remove excess and then go back over the white to remove the thickness.
Also, on toes or even fingers, blob a bit of the white onto a plastic packed pad and apply with a detailing brush.

thank you both, really appreciate your tips will have another practise in the week
so do you think smile lines look ok-ish or need to be deeper? i just tried to follow natural line, some go straight across (pinkies) and other curve slightly - should i really be doing all the same shape to keep it uniform?
we ran out time when did my 1-1 shellac training so was never actually shown how to do a french, just what ive picked up on here .. they're not brilliant i know! :(

Last edited:
I just watched a video on youtube of fingernailfixer and its really explained things.
When done applying, wipe the brush really well to remove excess and then go back over the white to remove the thickness.
Also, on toes or even fingers, blob a bit of the white onto a plastic packed pad and apply with a detailing brush.

thanks, will have a look .. did you just search shellac french polish on youtube? used my curette for first time today to remove cuticle from sidewalls after geeg posted one of fingernail fixers vids on prep today - brilliant how much residue cuticle came away!

thank you, will check the link out X

I have to agree-its a very ungreatful job on short nails-
and yes-the above video-link is one of the best turitorial for Shellac in the net!:wink2:

Latest posts

Back