Friend policy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilypie

Reaction score
Do you carry out treatments on friends (paying)? Today I've had a friend cancel her appointment for tonight and in the few days before Christmas, three other friends also cancelled their appointments on the day. My business cards state 24 hours for cancellations although this is more of a deterrent and possibly tricky to enforce.
I've only recently gone mobile and so don't know what the norm is. I think they have good intentions of having the treatments done but when it comes to it, especially being Christmas, they realise they've overspent and can no longer afford it.
I guess this is just the nature of the job, but am wondering how others handle this sort of situation? Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I usually give some kind of discount to friends, they also are aware that this is a business, we still have bills to pay etc, explain that you have lost money which them cancelling at the last minute as you could have had in paying clients, I do most of my friends on Sundays if they want things done that way my paying slots are no wasted

After years of being abused by so called friends I was finished giving preferential treatment just because we are friends. I run a business and my true friends know the value of my time and thus have never ever even asked me for a discount. If I offer it myself as a thank you for their loyalty they downright refuse it and that is called being a friend.
Unless they have something of equal value to exchange with me on a specified day and time I do not give away any of my time and expertise. Value yourself, value your time because if you don't no one else will.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I do mostly friends/family as I'm just starting out!

I have been let down by 1 friend a few times, so last time I saw her I told her politely to only book in if she's defo got the money put aside as I understand money is scarce but cancelling on me cause of lack of money tumbles down onto my accounts too.

I offer a discount to friends and family. I also do treatments for a family member for free but she does my hair for free so it works out well for both of us. Although i have friends who dont even bother to cancel, its only when i have text them to say im on my way that they say 'oh sorry im not up to it today'. Ive let it slide a couple of times but had to say recently that they have to give me more notice as i could fit other clients into that space if they give me more notice.

At the end of the day its not personal its business.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

I offer a discount to friends and family. I also do treatments for a family member for free but she does my hair for free so it works out well for both of us. Although i have friends who dont even bother to cancel, its only when i have text them to say im on my way that they say 'oh sorry im not up to it today'. Ive let it slide a couple of times but had to say recently that they have to give me more notice as i could fit other clients into that space if they give me more notice.

At the end of the day its not personal its business.

Friends and family are the worst! I can't believe sometimes how they can let you down. I honestly think they don't actually think time is money. Unless they have their own business I don't think the penny drops. I have been sat waiting outside friend house for 45 mins once as she was text be there in a bit running behind. Or booking in with me on a Sunday and me waiting in and she just forgot. Thanks Sunday wasted. If it wasn't a life long pal been through thick and thin relationship they wouldn't be friend no longer. The thing is this friend has helped me out on different occasions so I find it tough being tough! X

Thanks all. I don't reduce the cost apart from one friend who is my oldest and closest friend, even then I knock a fiver off so not a massive discount. .... Think I'll have to explain to them that I could've carried out other paying clients. I like the idea of maybe reserving one day for friends and family but wouldn't want to possibly turn down plans in the hope that they actually go through with the treatment.
Is it mean to just not do family and friends apart from the die hard faithfuls? Part of me thinks this is mean and silly as I need every penny I can get but maybe it would simplify things?

Friends and family are the worst! I can't believe sometimes how they can let you down. I honestly think they don't actually think time is money. Unless they have their own business I don't think the penny drops. I have been sat waiting outside friend house for 45 mins once as she was text be there in a bit running behind. Or booking in with me on a Sunday and me waiting in and she just forgot. Thanks Sunday wasted. If it wasn't a life long pal been through thick and thin relationship they wouldn't be friend no longer. The thing is this friend has helped me out on different occasions so I find it tough being tough! X

Yeah its the same with me. They dont understand that this is how we make our living and that if they couldnt turn up to a salon they would cancel before hand. We deserve the same consideration friend or not. Ive now asked my friends to give ne 24 hours notice the same as clients. As it means i can either fill the space or spend the time doing somrthing worthwhile rather than wasting my time at the last minute. X

I am quite lucky in that a lot of my friends also run small businesses so they understand. But I only ever book them in on days I am not working and they usually come to me rather than me to them (I am mobile) so far I haven't been let down. I do my best friend for free and another good friend who is a make up artist I often do for free and she does my make up for special occasions.

After years of being abused by so called friends I was finished giving preferential treatment just because we are friends. I run a business and my true friends know the value of my time and thus have never ever even asked me for a discount. If I offer it myself as a thank you for their loyalty they downright refuse it and that is called being a friend.
Unless they have something of equal value to exchange with me on a specified day and time I do not give away any of my time and expertise. Value yourself, value your time because if you don't no one else will.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

So true. All my friends insist on paying the full whack and I really appreciate it. I will occasionally do products with a good discount but usually only if they have spent on treatments. I don't know why I would want to do people at a reduced rate when I could have a full paying client sitting in my seat. If they then treated me so badly that they didn't have the courtesy to cancel I would suggest that they come at a time when it suits me like a same day appt just like you would a selfish inconsiderate client!

Hi, like some other people have mentioned I usually offer services to friends on days I'm not working and we make a night of it, so for example I met two of my closest friends recently for a girlie night in and the nails were part of the night not a set appointment (although they both paid of course) just takes the pressure off that way. Hope this helps.

Hi, like some other people have mentioned I usually offer services to friends on days I'm not working and we make a night of it, so for example I met two of my closest friends recently for a girlie night in and the nails were part of the night not a set appointment (although they both paid of course) just takes the pressure off that way. Hope this helps.

I like this idea. Less of a formal appointment and more of a catch up where I happen to make money. Thanks x

Latest posts

Back