Friend wanting to take up beauty therapy ;)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry_Althair

Reaction score
Hey beauty geeks, just popped over from the hair geeks with a query on behalf of a friend :)

I have a friend who's a young mum and is and has always been interested in the beauty industry, but never got chance to get into it before having her little boy....
She hasn't got the funds or time to do a full nvq course so I was wondering whether any of you have had an experience with shorter separate courses, for example, starting off with an in depth course in eyebrow waxing/threading, then going onto doing a course in make-up, acryllics etc...
I hope noone takes offence to me asking this as I know I get annoyed when people ask on our forum, whether you can become a hairdresser with a 10 day course!!
It's not the time we're interested in, just the matter of doing them separately!
Thanks in advance guys! :) x

Hi, I did short courses as i didnt have the money all up front and i wouldnt change the way i did my training.... most short courses are in very small courses so almost 1- 2 -1 training which means you learn so much more!

I started off with doing waxing & threading alongside manicures & pedicures and eyelash/ brow tinting & perming- all these treatments under my belt got me off to a fantastic start.... iv since then gone on to do make up, facials, massages, spray tanning, intimate waxing, nail art, lash extensions,uv gel nails and iv even bought vajazzles to kent!!

If she starts off small she wont regret it!! advice would be start off with things that group together ie- waxing / threading & eye treatments (tinting & perming & party lashes) or manicure/ pedicure / nail enhancements? just a suggestion to get her started.

Hope this helps.

x

Hi, I did short courses as i didnt have the money all up front and i wouldnt change the way i did my training.... most short courses are in very small courses so almost 1- 2 -1 training which means you learn so much more!

I started off with doing waxing & threading alongside manicures & pedicures and eyelash/ brow tinting & perming- all these treatments under my belt got me off to a fantastic start.... iv since then gone on to do make up, facials, massages, spray tanning, intimate waxing, nail art, lash extensions,uv gel nails and iv even bought vajazzles to kent!!

If she starts off small she wont regret it!! advice would be start off with things that group together ie- waxing / threading & eye treatments (tinting & perming & party lashes) or manicure/ pedicure / nail enhancements? just a suggestion to get her started.

Hope this helps.

x

Thanks so much for you're reply...

Just out of interest, who did you do your training with? a local college or a company/ies?

Thanks x

i used a beauty academy in my area for my training. literally just by googling for example manicure & pedicure training in ....... (wherever you live) then all the most popular i looked at and looked at reviews / feedback & prices too ( you need to know what your getting for your money as one course may be £40 more expensive but it may cover an extra treatment to offer) some courses also come with a student starter kit in the price too also something to look out for.

i found all the local colleges you had to really do a 2 year evening course and it was very expensive.

i used a beauty academy in my area for my training. literally just by googling for example manicure & pedicure training in ....... (wherever you live) then all the most popular i looked at and looked at reviews / feedback & prices too ( you need to know what your getting for your money as one course may be £40 more expensive but it may cover an extra treatment to offer) some courses also come with a student starter kit in the price too also something to look out for.

i found all the local colleges you had to really do a 2 year evening course and it was very expensive.

Okay thankyou so much, we'll have a look around :)

I am starting off that way too, being in my mid 30's with two children, no childcare, and having to car share with my husband, its not feasible studying at college. I have babies to feed!

I have found them useful, as I still have access to the tutors afterwards, who are happy to answer queries after they arise later on, whether it is a technical question or business question

The only hassle I had is that I couldnt get a trade card at Sally's Salon Services as you have to have (or be studying) an NVQ or have City and Guilds. The shunned my acrylic and Gel certification even though they are approved and accredied from the guild. They don't accept private academy training.

But really thats small fry, there is an Alan Howards closer to my house so I go there instead!!

L

I did a load of small beauty type courses through local training academies. However one course I did was at the local college and was subsidised if you are on benefits etc so I got it for free.

The only one I would say I wish I'd done like an NVQ or been in larger groups for a longer period of time is waxing....I did a 1 day course, just me in the class with my model (boyfriend! :O He's brave) and I really am not confident with my waxing as I have had hardly any supervised practise. I didn't do the NVQ Beauty Therapy for the same reason as your friend, but really I feel that for me, the waxing was the only thing I missed out on so look for a course that's for longer and has more people on it. Pleased I did all the other courses that way though.

I've done all of my courses separately! I was assistant manager of a restaurant when I started out and couldn't take time off from work, and couldn't afford it all at once. I started by training at my local college, and did a couple of evenings a week. I'm glad I did that as I learnt all the a&p that I needed. Then I did various courses through training companies.

What is your friend thinking of starting with? Definitely get her to do her research, maybe get her signed up on here so she can search through the threads.

Only thing I would recommend is if your friend is looking at doing nail enhancements to go somewhere like CND. I wasted my money on 2 l&p (acrylic) courses before I converted to CND, I wish I had gone there first!

Hope this helps.
Rhiannon x

Hey beauty geeks, just popped over from the hair geeks with a query on behalf of a friend :)

I have a friend who's a young mum and is and has always been interested in the beauty industry, but never got chance to get into it before having her little boy....
She hasn't got the funds or time to do a full nvq course so I was wondering whether any of you have had an experience with shorter separate courses, for example, starting off with an in depth course in eyebrow waxing/threading, then going onto doing a course in make-up, acryllics etc...
I hope noone takes offence to me asking this as I know I get annoyed when people ask on our forum, whether you can become a hairdresser with a 10 day course!!
It's not the time we're interested in, just the matter of doing them separately!
Thanks in advance guys! :) x

Get in touch with the local colleges, depending on her age and financial situation she maybe eligable for free nvq courses. Most colleges have creche facilities now as well. Courses usually start in summer and I think Nvq level 2 is a 32 week course and will enable you to get started with a good range of treatments x

For the short courses though, do they cover anatomy and physiology for it? Just wanted to know.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

DEFINATELY use CND for nail courses. Their training is 1st class.
I have spoken to many college trained girls and all said the same - that the nail enhancement courses weren't adequate.
I did a short, private waxing course but waxed friends and family for free for about 3 months until I felt confident enough to be let loose on the paying public.
Check out Kim Lawless ( the wax queen). Best wax trainer in the business ! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back