Frilly Free Edges!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikkiSC

Reaction score
I have a couple of clients who, when I file and shape the free edge, always end up with 'frilly' bits at the back of the free edge. Why is this? Is it the way I am holding the file? It doesn't seem to happen most of the time but is really annoying as if I don't see them (they are pretty good at hiding under the free edge) then they mess up the gel application (gelish) when I try to cap the free edge :(

When I find them I file from behind the free edge forwards, which seems to get most of them but it would be much better if they weren't there in the first place! Can anyone offer some advice?

What grit are you using? On natural nails it is best to use 240 grit or higher and I know there is debate surrounding this but I always file natural nails in one direction.

What grit are you using? On natural nails it is best to use 240 grit or higher and I know there is debate surrounding this but I always file natural nails in one direction.

Using 240 grit and I tend to do one direction for square/squoval and edge to middle for other shapes. I also hold the file a little like a violin bow so I'm not 'scrubbing' back and forth!

Right, well sounds like you're doing everything proper so perhaps it is just the state of these client's nails? Some nails are certainly dryer than others. I have some clients that get the little frilly bits as well and I know i'm filing correctly. I just take my sponge buffer and lightly buff the free edge.

Using 240 grit and I tend to do one direction for square/squoval and edge to middle for other shapes. I also hold the file a little like a violin bow so I'm not 'scrubbing' back and forth!

I file from the sides to the centre but still used to end up with 'frilly's', however I've started using CND Koala Buffer and guess what? No frillys! :cool:

You can go back and forth with modern mylar files but the file is a cutting tool and you need to use it to cut that frill off by changing the angle and the pressure. If you don't, you can always use the round end of the file to 'scrape' underneath the free edge and it comes right off .. use as if you were cleaning under the edge. Very easy.

You can go back and forth with modern mylar files but the file is a cutting tool and you need to use it to cut that frill off by changing the angle and the pressure. If you don't, you can always use the round end of the file to 'scrape' underneath the free edge and it comes right off .. use as if you were cleaning under the edge. Very easy.

OMD, I'm doing something right! Must look into those Mylar files.

Thanks guys, think I'll give the CND Koala a go then :)

Thanks guys, think I'll give the CND Koala a go then :)

The Kanga file is better for free edges. better than a buffer which the Koala is.

I love love love love the cnd files! All of them:) specially the kanga, blizzard and boomerang! Cant live without them :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

OMD, I'm doing something right! Must look into those Mylar files.

I think I'm right in saying that all CND files have a Mylar backing. It's what makes them washable. They can be immersed for up to an hour without fear of the backing coming adrift.

Latest posts

Back