Full time (shift work) job & starting out - anyone else manage it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsR

Reaction score
Well I start my CND Foundation course at the end of this month and once qualified I have ahead of me the task of getting a client base along side working a full time (shift pattern) job - not an easy task aand hopefully will be able to go part time soon from my shift job but wondered if anyone else managed to do this? My shifts aren't set in stone either ie I don't work every Monday - they change around but I do have a rota 3 months in advance. Thanks for feedback.

Well I start my CND Foundation course at the end of this month and once qualified I have ahead of me the task of getting a client base along side working a full time (shift pattern) job - not an easy task aand hopefully will be able to go part time soon from my shift job but wondered if anyone else managed to do this? My shifts aren't set in stone either ie I don't work every Monday - they change around but I do have a rota 3 months in advance. Thanks for feedback.

well the fact you have your rota 3 months in advance is a huge bonus! Your clients dont need to know that you work another job, you just fit them in to suit you. After your course you might not feel confident working on clients right away, you'll probably want to practise a bit first, but this will give you a chance to check out the competition, sort out your insurance etc. I wish you all the luck in the world sweetie :hug: dont forget you'll have to register with the inland revenue within the first 3 months xxx

I havent worked full time and for myself at the same time, but I have been at college full time and worked a job that was around 30 hours a week so its tiring but can be done!! xx

Thanks hun I have registered with Business Link online and they go through all the inland revenue stuff etc so need to start going thorugh all that.

I know for the first 6 months of all this from day 1 of training till then I am going to be constantly working, whether its my full time current job, practising nails, doing nails and promoting myself but have redbull will travel :) Seriously though I can but try and see what happens can't I.

Thanks hun I have registered with Business Link online and they go through all the inland revenue stuff etc so need to start going thorugh all that.

I know for the first 6 months of all this from day 1 of training till then I am going to be constantly working, whether its my full time current job, practising nails, doing nails and promoting myself but have redbull will travel :) Seriously though I can but try and see what happens can't I.

my top tips would be: stay focused, be PROUD of yourself, eat well (seriously!), and remember that if you cry, screw up, fall out with your other half (trust me that will happen lol) suffer mental blocks, and generally lose the plot, the world will still keep turning!!

Theres lots to do and lots to think about, dont be afraid to ask anything on here, and take every opportunity that comes your way :hug:

You can fit it around shift work! I am also a part time Nurse and this allows much more flexibility with my clients. The only problem occurs when a client asks for an appointment on a regular basis on the same day, but I just explain to them that this may not always be possible and they are always ok with that. Good luck with your training! x

I work for a bank full time but my hours are 6am to 2pm mon-fri so I can easily fit my clients around me, I also have clients sat-sun so I am kept quite busy, at the weekend I try and finish around 3pm so I have time with my husband.

You can fit it around shift work! I am also a part time Nurse and this allows much more flexibility with my clients. The only problem occurs when a client asks for an appointment on a regular basis on the same day, but I just explain to them that this may not always be possible and they are always ok with that. Good luck with your training! x

I am a full time nursing auxillary so shifts are all over the place apart form every 6 weeks I do a week of nights!

I am in the same situation, at the moment i work full time, go to college all day saturday and i am looking into starting my own mobile business as well as college and full time work. I love all the research i am doing and checking out this site on numerous times a day and i can tell you that my case studies are getting left which is bad news too :)

What i have done is i bought myself a book and headed each few pages insurance, skin care, nail care, reiki, indian head, business start up, stationary etc etc and when someone gives good advice on here i make a note of it so i have myself a little book which has tons of information in - its fab.

Anyway good luck with setting up and if you need any help please let me know and i am sure we can help each other out.

Good luck hunnie, looks like you are way ahead of me course wise - love and luck x

PS Good idea on the book thing.

Latest posts

Back