Funding new salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
your complaining about other who are getting something for nothing - however this is exactly what you are expecting!

Oh thank God somebody finally said it...! :Love:

I worked bloody hard to get my first salon, it took lots of blood, sweat and tears. I literally had no savings, no loans and no real money and yet because I was determined to do it I managed it and now I'm about to open my second.

TBH When you roll over and say you can't do it unless some mystery government agency gives you dosh for nothing - you're not sounding very determined to work things out.

One of the main things in business is an understanding of how things work (and considering your comments regarding Scotland, Wales and Taxes I'm guessing this will be a stumbling block for you), and an ability to think outside the box when it comes to problems. Funding is the first obstacle/problem ANY business comes across. If you can't figure this one out then you're probably not ready for your own business yet.

Why don't you go mobile in your spare time until you build up enough clients that you can take the plunge and quit work... Then at that point you can re-assess your situation and your readiness for a salon? I'd hate to see another young person rush into a business and fall flat on their face because they weren't ready. Believe me I've been there and done that when I first started having my own businesses. I was lucky in that I didn't have everything riding on it, but I've got friends who nearly (or did) go bankrupt...

You're still young. There's no rush. Take your time, get your plans in place, find your money for it and then when you're ready you'll really fly and it'll be all the sweeter because you worked so hard for it.

Excuse me? In Scotland we get everything for nothing? Why don't u move up here to the land of candy floss and lolly pops, when u wake up and little fairies fly about and dress you.... Oh wait no Scotland isn't like that at all.

I worked my butt off to get where I am. I saved money and was very lucky to inherit money to open my own salon. I worked hard to make my business successful. The only "free" help I got was from business Gateway, if I am not mistaken, you will have similar in your area.

With the attitude you have, I'm sure you will go very far in business. ahem.

The op started another thread before this one titled funding. Asking where she can get help to set up a salon. I suggested politely that she save up or get a loan. I got the following answer from her. I am glad that on this thread there are people of the same opinion as myself.

http://www.salongeek.com/showthread.php?p=1256240

I've just read that. Reiterates my previous point - that attitude will go far.

dont know why the need for 6 threads asking the same question .. maybe its a case of asking so many times will get you a different answer :lol:

Hannah,

your attitude is a bit strange.....why do you think you deserve money to be handed to you? I certainly don't and never have.

when I was unemployed in Wales I went along to a start your own business meeting and they certainly weren't giving us money in brown envelopes, they gave us advice for free.

Why not go to some free business advice meetings, set up your business and work hard, and instead of all this negativity eating away at you, use it to make a success of your life.

we all know at least one family that seem to baulk the system, but would you want to swap their life for yours?

Instead of looking at everyone else around you, and whining about it, go out into the big grown up world and become a businesswoman.

Well unless you Live in Scotland or Wales where they get everything for nothing, princess tryst told me it was impossible to get any help from them in England if I'm in full time employment! I'm in same boat I work my arse off but never been fortunate, just sat in the middle working my arse off for penny's and never recieve help! By time I retire there Wong be retirement! Makes me wonder what I pay tax for?

Hannah with that attitude you wont get very far as i said in a earlier post im from scotland done hairdressing for 20 years never been unemployed in the full 20years only time ive not worked is the 6 weeks ive taken off after each of my 4 children were born i was very lucky to take over a salon 6months ago ive not had any help for anyone and im very proud to say ive done it all by my self and why should i get help from others how many years have you been doing it ? what make you any better or more deserving than anyone else no one will want to help you if you have that attitude some of the geeks on this site have been in the trade for many years and had there own salons for many years so maybe you would get on alot better if you start the listen to what there telling you instead of trying to offend them

It has never been easy to startup in business.I'm not sure why you think it should be made easy.
I worked in others salons for 15 years before I bought my first salon. It really wasnt easy.
You appear to be of the opinion that other people have it easier than you. Someone on the dole will have a far more restricted life than you, and are not having it "easy" as you seem to think.

If you want your own salon, can i suggest you make a plan of action. Do a comprehensive businss plan to find out what you need, then do a plan of how you intend to save the money you need. Extra work, cutting back, boot fairs, selling stuff, the list is endless.

Rather than approaching this in a negative way, try approaching from a positive perspective. It can be done, we all have salons, so you have proof that it can be done without a silver spoon.

i have lost count of how many bdays , xmases etc.. i have had "workstuff" for pressies , lol .. look at yourself and see what you can do without ? do you have a fancy phone ? car , clothes .. etc cut back on stuff and save up

Can't you do as someone else has said and go mobile or set up a home salon while you save? my daughter who is only 21 is desperate for her own photography studio but like everyone else she has realised that nothing gets handed to you on a silver plate, you have to work for it. she has been taking photo from her own bedroom and renting a skittle alley in a pub for shoots, we are hoping to convert the garage into a studio soon and on the plus side she will learn all about running her own business without the cost of business premises to worry about until she is ready to take that step.

i have lost count of how many bdays , xmases etc.. i have had "workstuff" for pressies , lol .. look at yourself and see what you can do without ? do you have a fancy phone ? car , clothes .. etc cut back on stuff and save up

i agree with dee make it happen yourself instead of wanting handouts, its more rewarding in the end

Hannah,
I find your comments rude and tell you the truth if all you are after is freebies why do you want to work in a industry where you will need to work hard!look at your goals again and see how you can realistically reach them.young or not nothing tastes sweeter getting something through hard work than a handout!

I don't no why everyone is still giving u options when u have a bad attitude like that. I am from Wales, Iv worked since I was 12 and saved saved saved to have my own salon which I opened at the age of 20. All my own money no help from anyone or loan. If the government gave everyone money to start their own business dont u think they're would be rows of salons on every street???!!!
If ur not that determined and just winge on here for some miracle answer and disrespect others, then I can't see u succeeding in growing a business. Because it is bloody hard work I can tell u that for free!!

Actually I think you will find that your references to the Scottish and Welsh is racist.

You are young enough to save for your business but you have been an adult for the last 5 years so should be able to conduct yourself like one.

Well unless you Live in Scotland or Wales where they get everything for nothing, princess tryst told me it was impossible to get any help from them in England if I'm in full time employment! I'm in same boat I work my arse off but never been fortunate, just sat in the middle working my arse off for penny's and never recieve help! By time I retire there Wong be retirement! Makes me wonder what I pay tax for?

I dont know what scotland your talking about certainly is not the one I live in . Everything for nothing I am afraid you are very very wrong here and should think before you speak you really dont seem to have the attitude to be considering starting your own business . I think you need to realise everyone is in the same boat here everyone else has had to work their butt off to get where they are so I suggest if this is what you want you better get started .

Just be careful guys!!!

The other post by this OP was closed and locked because of the comments some of us made about this persons attitude!

So we better keep within the rules and not say anymore. x

Seems a good place to close this one too - the question has been asked and yet again answered.

If everything in life was easy then it wouldnt necessarily be worth having. You get out of life what you put in and other such phrases!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back