Fungal nail infection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegumsugar

Reaction score
Was going to put a picture on but it says not authorized by administrator, not sure why? It worked before!
Anyway a client has a what I think is a fungal infection on her nail.She has it over five years doctors etc haven't been able to cure it.
Basically the white tip of her nail gone up so there is no normal straight line, it all uneven.The nail seems raised slightly and the skin around is really peeled and she says it gets sore.Any advice can this be cured?? X
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

i would always recommend drs treatment... we are only nail techs not fully qualified drs
....now having a fungal infection would always contra indicate any nail treatment... so unless she goes back to her dr then you should not be treating her....
I know that clients will always say that they have had treatment etc.. but unless you have a drs note then your well with in your rights (and making sure your insurance is still covered) to refuse treatment...

Jess x

Thankyou for your reply.She's been to the doctors lots and nothing has helped they checked her nail and on testing found nothing wrong which is strange. Anything else she can try? Wish I could put a pic on to show you!

sounds like she is getting stuff stuck in that gap you mention, this really needs to be kept super clean, as the bodies natural way of getting rid of foreign debris is to fester (kinda like a splinter festers).

Has she really had it tested at the doctors?

Yes definitely she's been a few times and had it tested but the said it isn't a fungal infection.So what is it? Confused! X

Fungal nail infections are easy to cure, but they can take a long time. Not sure why the doctors haven't been able to treat/cure it.

...Unless it isn't a fungal nail infection and is something else. If it is a fungal nail infection however, then a course of terbinafine tablets should work. The Doctors will prescribe one to two months worth of tablets (taken one a day), and then the patient goes back for a repeat prescription when they near the end of their supply. If it's on her finger nail, a couple of months of taking these tablets usually does the trick. If it's on the toenails, then it can take anywhere up to 6 months (sometimes longer).

There is the possibility that your client could be allergic to the Terbinafine tablets, in which case an alternative prescription can be prescribed.

If it's something else, then I would suggest a change in your clients diet. It could be a long term, slow building reaction to certain foods she is eating. The only way to find out in that respect is for your client to avoid certain food groups for a sustained period of time. Perhaps avoid Dairy products first.

Could it be a bit of Onycholysis? It is hard to tell without seeing a picture :)

Does it look anything like this?

Fungal nail infections are easy to cure, but they can take a long time. Not sure why the doctors haven't been able to treat/cure it.

...Unless it isn't a fungal nail infection and is something else. If it is a fungal nail infection however, then a course of terbinafine tablets should work. The Doctors will prescribe one to two months worth of tablets (taken one a day), and then the patient goes back for a repeat prescription when they near the end of their supply. If it's on her finger nail, a couple of months of taking these tablets usually does the trick. If it's on the toenails, then it can take anywhere up to 6 months (sometimes longer).

There is the possibility that your client could be allergic to the Terbinafine tablets, in which case an alternative prescription can be prescribed.

If it's something else, then I would suggest a change in your clients diet. It could be a long term, slow building reaction to certain foods she is eating. The only way to find out in that respect is for your client to avoid certain food groups for a sustained period of time. Perhaps avoid Dairy products first.

Doctors in my area (West Oxfordshire, UK) will often NOT prescribe oral tablets for a fungal nail infection, even to diabetics. It is considered to be a cosmetic issue rather than a medical one (and some people allege that it is a cost issue too). This leaves the client with a choice of a daily or weekly topical application of Curanail or the like for up to 12 or 18 months if the entire nail is affected, (it has to completely disappear before you stop using the product) it requires dedication and this in itself does not make it easy to treat. Also, testing of fungal nails isn't necessarily as cut and dried as you would think.

I have never seen a suspected fungal nail where the surrounding skin has been sore however, the infection is commonly in or on the nail plate. Soreness, redness, heat, swelling all indicate inflammation which is commonly triggered by tissue damage, allergies, invasion of micro-organisms or other foreign objects.

Back to the docs for your client I think.

Elaine.

Could it be a bit of Onycholysis? It is hard to tell without seeing a picture :)

Does it look anything like this?

Thanks to you all for your replies :) thanks for the link of the pic it's kind if the same but not definitely sure, I shall see her this week and compare to photo and see if it looks the same.I shall update you :)

Maybe try sending her to a chiropodist/pediatrist? X

Latest posts

Back