Fungal nail, allergy or psoriasis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 150450

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I am a newly qualified nail technician. I am not working on the public yet.

I am having major mail problems - nail splitting, Nail separating, nail crumbling, hardening on the free edge etc etc.
The doctor (he has only seen pictures due to COVID) has sent off a sample of my nails to the lab as he thinks it may be fungal.

Does anyone have any experience or input about this? I will insert pictures in the comments.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• EE4001B4-77D0-4DED-A2F5-66521E8AB87E.jpeg
    EE4001B4-77D0-4DED-A2F5-66521E8AB87E.jpeg
    227.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 636DCFBB-5E6B-4695-9DF2-DAEA3F07180F.jpeg
    636DCFBB-5E6B-4695-9DF2-DAEA3F07180F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 314
Are these your nails?
How long have they been like this?
If so have you been putting products on them/yourself?

We are not doctors and do not diagnose. I would need to know the result of the tests before deciding on what to do going forward.

yes these are my nails. I noticed a sensation of water on my nail bed so I took my enhancements off. I would say i've been suffering for a couple of weeks at least. Yes I do my own. I like to think I know what I'm doing though. I don't have the results yet - could be another two weeks. So frustrating. Obviously I can't wear any nails until after I get the results and probably beyond.

If it is fungal, do I have to refrain from the nails for the whole treatment time? Doctor said it will be 6 months

Not going to lie, they are some of the worst looking nails I've ever seen, I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think as a trainee tech you need to be aware just how bad this is.

The last time I saw anything like that it was fungal BUT it was as a result of the person treating their pet with some medication. They had been allowing the medication to get all over their fingers and it had got under their enhancements. Have you been doing anything similar?

It's very unusual to get a proper fungal infection on finger nails as they are always exposed to air and light unlike toes that are usually in warm, dark, damp socks and shoes.

This kind of damage rarely happens quickly either, did you notice issues last time you applied a set?
I can see damage to the nail bed further up by the cuticle, it looks like the natural nail as been over filed too which may well have contributed to the peeling and flaking but the yellowing is not great.

Thanks for the reply.

I have been doing some home assembly work which involves wearing vinyl gloves for a few hours a day (I change every hour), so this may have been part of the problem with trapped moisture etc. I also am using silicone rubber adhesive sealant which is an irritant (why i wear the gloves). I have stopped wearing the gloves now in case that was causing it.

Yes i did overfile my thumb nail at the very beginning of my journey, i quickly learned my lesson though. I also (at the beginning) made an indent with an arbor band round the cuticle. i know now what to do and i'll never do that again. I don't want to be written off as a bad tech because I truly have learned from my mistakes.

I have got to the point now where I am pretty confident with everything - I've learned from my mistakes and am now super careful with everything. I wanted to start my business soon but obviously with the state of my nails i can't at the moment.

No I haven't been doing anything similar to the pets situation you mention. Doctor asked me if my toes were affected and I told him no, which I why I'm thinking its more of an allergic reaction to something. I honestly though have never known anything like this happen to me before, I could literally peel all my nails off should I so wish.

I appreciate it's a dire situation and I think I just wanted some reassurance that I havent damaged myself for good :(

I appreciate it's a dire situation and I think I just wanted some reassurance that I havent damaged myself for good :(

Very unlikely gloves would cause this, surgeons wear them all the time doing surgery. Very unlikely its the sealant either, unless it got under every nail.

As to permanent damage, theres no way of knowing. Especially without a diagnosis. Depending on what has caused the issue there may be permanent damage to the nail bed which could cause ongoing issues such as permanant onycholisis because the new nail cannot attach itself to the nail bed as it grows. There maybe residual damage such as bumps and lumps to the new nails if the beds are damaged.

You are going to have this issue for quite a few months, even if you immediately fix the cause. All that damage needs to grow out and at approx 1mm growth a week you're looking at months not weeks. If its fungal it can takes months to get under control, our bodies are designed to have some fungus naturally so to eliminate it from specific places without removing it from the places that require it is extremely hard.

There are some people who will advise using Tea Tree Oil to help eliminate the fungal issues, it works for some people not others, but it's a cheap, simple option which can't do any harm in the short term until you get a proper diagnosis. Make sure you use it correctly.

Your nails will grow back but what condition they will be in is anyone's guess. Invest in some Solar Oil and start using that asap to encourage new growth and get all that dry, sore skin back in good condition.

Thank you. It’s a waiting game.

Were you using a gel polish builder and/or a rubber base?

Initially I was using mylee builder in a bottle, then I went to IBD builder gel (hard) and then lastly young nails acrylic. I think it had started before the acrylic through realistically.

Started trying to learn about four months ago. So perhaps I had symptoms that I didn’t notice.

You say you’ve recently qualified.
What advice has your trainer offered as they’ve obviously seen your nails in person?

I didn’t have symptoms at that point. If I had have done, I am guessing I wouldn’t have been allowed to continue with the course.

Sorry love.
Was there any pain?
If you feel fire in the nailbeds that could be from chemical burn. A result from overfiling nails or using a lamp with too much power.

If you felt pressure and you did said "water" in your nailbeds that can be fungus growing under the enhancements and inflammation.

Also ... any itching??

There is definitely visible onycholysis, and subungual hyperkeratosis.

Nail psoriasis is usually not exclusive. I.e. You have psoriasis mainly on your scalp or arms and now surrounding nails.

Involving yourself with nails can grant you with fungus in the nails and not toenails despite fungus being more common in the toenails rather than nails.

You could have all three conditions. Of course this is just speculation and unofficial diagnosis. Wait for your doctor's orders.

Meanwhile:
File as short as possible.
If you're comfortable, efile off anything that crumbles off and is dead skin. (Diamond bits. Do not use carbide or ceramic bits!). Do so gently with utmost care.
Apply nail growth serum and\or polish with nail hardener. Speeds up growth, protects nail from further damage promoting growth.
*I would do this after the nail has dried out a bit (no fluid undernails. Nails should not be squishy when pressed on).
Cuticle oil that contains jojoba oil, vitamin E. Tea tree oil for the fungus.
For the Fungus, OTC treatment, 25% undecylenic acid right under the hyponichum 2x a day. This blocks fungal cell wall growth.

You may also want to get your doctor to prescribe a topical steroidal ointment\cream for inflammation of the the nails and surrounding tissues. It will reduce itching, inflammation, overall speeding healing times.

Be religious in treatment. This could take anywhere from 6 months to even a year.

I have a great online source for you for further info backed by science and doctors. Msg me if interested. I will not post it here because there is a certain individual who exploits this info and uses it to market their products akin to using pseudo-science to sell a product.

Sorry love.
Was there any pain?
If you feel fire in the nailbeds that could be from chemical burn. A result from overfiling nails or using a lamp with too much power.

If you felt pressure and you did said "water" in your nailbeds that can be fungus growing under the enhancements and inflammation.

Also ... any itching??

There is definitely visible onycholysis, and subungual hyperkeratosis.

Nail psoriasis is usually not exclusive. I.e. You have psoriasis mainly on your scalp or arms and now surrounding nails.

Involving yourself with nails can grant you with fungus in the nails and not toenails despite fungus being more common in the toenails rather than nails.

You could have all three conditions. Of course this is just speculation and unofficial diagnosis. Wait for your doctor's orders.

Meanwhile:
File as short as possible.
If you're comfortable, efile off anything that crumbles off and is dead skin. (Diamond bits. Do not use carbide or ceramic bits!). Do so gently with utmost care.
Apply nail growth serum and\or polish with nail hardener. Speeds up growth, protects nail from further damage promoting growth.
*I would do this after the nail has dried out a bit (no fluid undernails. Nails should not be squishy when pressed on).
Cuticle oil that contains jojoba oil, vitamin E. Tea tree oil for the fungus.
For the Fungus, OTC treatment, 25% undecylenic acid right under the hyponichum 2x a day. This blocks fungal cell wall growth.

You may also want to get your doctor to prescribe a topical steroidal ointment\cream for inflammation of the the nails and surrounding tissues. It will reduce itching, inflammation, overal speeding healing times.

Be religious in treatment. This could take anywhere from 6 months to even a year.

I have a great online source for you for further info backed by science and doctors. Msg me if interested. I will not post it here because there is a certain individual who exploits this info and uses it to market their products akin to using pseudo-science to sell a product.

thank you, most helpful.

no, there is no pain and no itching. i do have contact dermatitis but this is towards nickel so probably not relevant.

i did have splits under the nail when i first took off my enhancements but these have now healed. the water in my nail beds i mentioned, was when i put my hands in water, and i had a sensation of water going where it shouldn't.

right now, my nails are looking a little better than the pics above. the yellow crustiness has almost gone, i still have the split and separated nails though.

thank you, most helpful.

no, there is no pain and no itching. i do have contact dermatitis but this is towards nickel so probably not relevant.

i did have splits under the nail when i first took off my enhancements but these have now healed. the water in my nail beds i mentioned, was when i put my hands in water, and i had a sensation of water going where it shouldn't.

right now, my nails are looking a little better than the pics above. the yellow crustiness has almost gone, i still have the split and separated nails though.
You definitely want to keep enhancements off. Home treatment of nails are much more important and critical to successful enhancements.

Good luck. Please update us on your condition.

You definitely want to keep enhancements off. Home treatment of nails are much more important and critical to successful enhancements.

Good luck. Please update us on your condition.

i definitely will do. i also do think my condition has not been helped by soaking off the nails too often using acetone. in hindsight i probably should've mentioned this to the doctor. p.s. I assume I'm speaking to the lady from my private YN group?

Last edited:
i definitely will do. i also do think my condition has not been helped by soaking off the nails too often using acetone. in hindsight i probably should've mentioned this to the doctor. p.s. I assume I'm speaking to the lady from my private YN group?
Acetone allergy is not common. Mostly it's just extremely drying which can break down the skin barrier allowing skin irritants to more easily enter through your system.

Not in your YN group. 😅

Ha ha ok. Huge coincidence with the name though. :D

As a Podiatrist I don't like giving diagnoses just based on photos, however, those nails don't look fungal to me.

I would leave off the nail extensions, see how the nail grows, then make a decision in conjunction with your GPs advice.

I would say you have damaged the nail from over filing as the lower part of the nail looks more healthy. Prior to application after cuticle work just GENTLY hand buff the nail with at most 180 grit buffer then wipe with acetone to further dehydrate. If applying acrylics then apply Prima prior. But I would let the nails recover first and let the damage grow out to the free edge. I think some of us can find it a lot harder to Control the pressure of our e- file on our own nail beds so try only prepping your natural nail with a hand file/buffer X

Latest posts

Back