Fungal or not fungal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helsbels1

Reaction score
A new client has asked me to look at her toe nails, as some are coming off! She says she's been to the docs to have them checked out and tested for fungus, they were negative for any fungal activity. (or she is lying through her ass!) They're white and patchy, they are lifting off nail plate and completely coming off. She's got 2 missing already and a few more that are going the same way. Can anybody offer me any advise on what it could be please.........

Attachments

• 1416929094979.jpg
    1416929094979.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 1416929125795.jpg
    1416929125795.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 366
Tightly fitting shoes putting pressure on the nails? Medication? Systemic illness? Psoriasis/eczema on the nails? Injury to the nail?

Just suggestions! Whatever it is, it's not really your job to diagnose the problem so if you're unsure ask her to see a podiatrist before you treat her :)

We can't diagnose but from personal experience, my toe started to do this. Each night I diluted tea tree oil and put it under my nail each night, and keep the nail short. It has now grew out and is reattached again. Never found out what was actually wrong.

These guys are right, you cannot treat, cure or diagnose.

It isn't easy to really diagnose fungal infections. It generally requires taking a clipping and sending it to a lab so most Doctors will err on the side of caution and say "most likely" and recommend an over the counter creme to keep under control while the plate grows out. If it doesn't then Doctors can take additional steps.

As an indicator, a large majority of people have a fungal infection on their toes though it is usually superficial. Deeper infections will generally swell the plate and have a distinctive order. You really do want to avoid working on plates like that as you will be releasing an excessive number of fungal spores into your breathing area (these spores are everywhere anyway, but you want to avoid excessive exposure if you can help it).

An over the counter creme may help the client so she may want to try that out.

If it isn't a fungal infection, its a pretty serious case of onycholysis (separation of the plate from the bed) which can lead to an infection. It could also be psoriasis of the plate (which contributes to onycholysis).

HTHs!

Every single one of my finger nails looked like this about 9 months ago and I had clippings sent away and all was clear. It was trauma due to a mix of an allergy and changing my colour too often. I kept them as short as poss and kept them varnished with nail envy. Also I have clients who have psorisis and their nails often have this appearance.

Im a hair geek but had this experience with my own nails. It happened after trauma to the area. A large weight was dropped on my toes. It has taken years for them to grow back normally.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks everyone,
I did suggest a visit to the foot docs, as I told her I didn't really have a clue! I just said I would ask around to see if anyone else had anything similar. Previous nail tech ruined her finger nails, which we are working to get them nice again! So probably same with the toes...

Hels

Latest posts

Back