FX Gel removal & Shellac French, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatherineBaker_

Reaction score
I've been qualified for over a year now but just been doing friends and family but I have just gone official and I was so excited when my email pinged until I read it!

My customer (an old classmate I've not seen since school) has FX Gel on at the moment which will require removal and would like Shellac French on fingers and toes, can anyone offer advice on removal of FX Gel and how much to charge. Also French is my worst nightmare I think I just panic I love freehand art, rockstar, foils, crystals but French!!!

Can anyone please give me a bit of advice, I know I've got to do it just really nervous and apprehensive 😕

Hi I am not so familiar with Fx Gel removal. The brand that comes close to that name is Orly Gel Fx. It is a soak off gel product not meant for building or extending. So the way to remove this is with acetone based remover. First, use a 180 grit file to file off shine, couple of swipes for the free edge too. Soak a cotton pad with the acetone and then wrap aluminium foil around the cotton pad. Sit for 10 -15 minutes. If you like, put a heat bag over it. when you are ready, take each foil off one at a time with a twisting side to side motion to further loosen the product. Gently scrape off remainder product with wood stick.if there are still product left, put the soak pad back on. In my experience, Orly Gel Fx removes really easily. There might be some base coat residue , so just file gently (only a few strokes) with 220 / 280 sponge file.

French with Shellac
I don't use Shellac in my service. However French application is down to technique IMHO. Prep nail as you would per Shellac instructions, inc applying base coat, then cure. Apply chosen pink from cuticle to free edge. Use a small clean brush to clean off the pink from the free edge (clean off as much as client desires to allow space for the white). Cure as per instructions. Do two coats as per instructions. Apply white by dotting it on, thinly! use a clean brush with abit of cleaner (isopropyl alcholol based) to clean up smile line or to perfect it. best way i think is the keep the finger still and move the brush in one single stroke as smooth as possible, with GENTLE pressure.Cure. If you think the white is still too thin in consistency, then dot on another coat. This time it should be easier for the next white coat to fall into place.Cure. Finally, apply top coat, cure and lastly apply cuticle oil.

This is called reverse smile line. There's always you tube:lol:

Hope this helps.

Hi, Thank you so much for your advice i think it must be Orly Gel FX, that's brilliant!

Fingers crossed with the French I have done it quite a few times but I'm so slow and a perfectionist, I'd be mortified if it wasn't quite right & my client didn't like it and didn't tell me.

Think I just need to pull myself together and believe in myself 😊 xx

Latest posts

Back