Gel 'Arty' Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
Just been watching vids of Sam Biddle and Kirsty Meakin doing some nail art/design using gels. Being curious, I would like to know what types/brands of gel are suitable for this type of detailing? I am not talking about builder type gels which are used to create structure, I'm interested in the ones used for marble type effects etc. Would they they be soak off or buff off or doesn't it matter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you. :)

Just been watching vids of Sam Biddle and Kirsty Meakin doing some nail art/design using gels. Being curious, I would like to know what types/brands of gel are suitable for this type of detailing? I am not talking about builder type gels which are used to create structure, I'm interested in the ones used for marble type effects etc. Would they they be soak off or buff off or doesn't it matter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you. :)

Samantha Biddle is a member here on Salon geek so why not send her a pm and ask her direct. Not surprisingly she is known as Sam Biddle so drop her a pm for the exact scoop if she doesn't see this post.

Like most artists she uses a great variety of things for her art work. Whatever gives her the effects she wants I presume, just as I would do. I would think you can marble with a variety of coloured gels, buff-off or soak-off, depending if you want the design to be permanent or not.

Light Elegance has some wonderful "gel art" colors and glitter colors that almost never need stirring and they are great for art. You can even lay them right into builder gels without them bleeding.

Thanks for the replies. Apart from the likes of shellac, which an entirely different matter, I'm not that au fait with gels and maybe another way of asking would be with reference to specific viscosities? It obviously needs to be thick enough not to run all over the place but not to create the overall structure.

Thanks for the replies. Apart from the likes of shellac, which an entirely different matter, I'm not that au fait with gels and maybe another way of asking would be with reference to specific viscosities? It obviously needs to be thick enough not

Shellac is not a gel, but you can marble with it as if it were a polish (ie not build a nail with it but use it as a colour effect). Many are having fun seeing what they can do with Shellac.

Last edited:
Hi, I use hard gels to marble with, the softer soak off's have a thinner viscosity. Your looking for a nice thick gel, so the colours won't bleed and split to much.
if you don't have joy with the gel your using try popping it into the fridge for 20 mins. this will help you work with it. I only recommend the fridge method for the 'arty bits which you sandwich between the base and capping layer.

All art work with gel is best when the viscosity is thicker, but I use a range of different ones like Geeg said. I tend to look at colours I like; I love IBD; for me this is my first choice for gel, but it doesn't have a really nice dark green, so I use the green from Creative, their red isn't half bad either. I am in complete awe of Astonishing cover pinks and some of their glitter gels, and the French it from Ez Flow is the best for flowers. I have actually custom blended my own yellow using a yellow from IBD's tropical, white and yellow pigments.
What I am trying to say is that you need to build your own collection, and find your own favourites. and the only way to do this is play, play, play.

hope this helps.

Hi, I use hard gels to marble with, the softer soak off's have a thinner viscosity. Your looking for a nice thick gel, so the colours won't bleed and split to much.
if you don't have joy with the gel your using try popping it into the fridge for 20 mins. this will help you work with it. I only recommend the fridge method for the 'arty bits which you sandwich between the base and capping layer.

All art work with gel is best when the viscosity is thicker, but I use a range of different ones like Geeg said. I tend to look at colours I like; I love IBD; for me this is my first choice for gel, but it doesn't have a really nice dark green, so I use the green from Creative, their red isn't half bad either. I am in complete awe of Astonishing cover pinks and some of their glitter gels, and the French it from Ez Flow is the best for flowers. I have actually custom blended my own yellow using a yellow from IBD's tropical, white and yellow pigments.
What I am trying to say is that you need to build your own collection, and find your own favourites. and the only way to do this is play, play, play.

hope this helps.

Thank you for your help. I will! :):hug:

Latest posts

Back