Gel Brush - Bristles have splayed !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi,

I use the atttached Pro Gel Brush from Creative with Nail Fresh to tidy up my french manicures.

http://www.designernails.co.uk/Products.aspx?categoryId=314&type=2

However, the bristles have suddenly started to splay and the brush head is now divided into 3 sections (if that makes sense) where the bristles have splayed and grouped together.

I always clean my brush after having used Nail Fresh and always place the plastic tube cover over the brush head after use to protect the bristles etc.

Because the head has lost it's oval shape, I'm finding it really difficult to get a nice, clean swipe for tidying up the french smile line.

Can anyone please give me advice on how I can save my brush as I really can't afford to buy a new one !

THANKS

River

River said:
I use the atttached Pro Gel Brush from Creative with Nail Fresh to tidy up my french manicures.
I use this brush for my gel application.

River said:
However, the bristles have suddenly started to splay and the brush head is now divided into 3 sections (if that makes sense) where the bristles have splayed and grouped together.
is that because you're pressing too hard? Let the Nailfresh do the work for you.

River said:
I always clean my brush after having used Nail Fresh and always place the plastic tube cover over the brush head after use to protect the bristles etc.
How do you clean it? I clean mine by wiping off any excess white enamel or POW on a lint free pad, Nailfresh evaporates mega fast due to the ether content so it shouldn't need anymore than that to clean it.

River said:
Because the head has lost it's oval shape, I'm finding it really difficult to get a nice, clean swipe for tidying up the french smile line.
you could tailor the bristles by giving them a haircut until you get rid of the splayed hairs.

River said:
Can anyone please give me advice on how I can save my brush as I really can't afford to buy a new one !
Personally I'd get a brush with a tapered head such as an old L+P brush. It depends on the extent of the splaying as to whether your brush can be rescued.

Hi Sandi,

I probably didn't word it too well. The brush still has it's oval shape, however, it is now divided into 3 sections. If you think the original shape (as in the picture) looks like the top part of a 0. The brush has suddenly divided into three bits and now has the shape of a W.

I don't press the brush at all, like you mentioned, I let the Nail Fresh do the work and only very very gently swipe the brush in the line that I would like it to follow.

I clean the brush as you mentioned. After each time that I use it to clean a line, I sweep it over a lint free pad to clear any "contamination" before putting it back in the Nail Fresh. Once I'm done, I follow the above procedure and give it a final swirl in the Nail Fresh, make sure the bristles are dry and flat and then put it back in the plastic tube.

As I don't do nail enhancements, I don't have a old L&P brush lying around and would be too expensive to buy a new one.

I just need to bristles to come back together to form a 0 shape again. They aren't hard or damaged as such, they've just separated.....

River

hmmm... because the bristles in that particular brush are Kolinsky, could they have dried out due to the acetone in the Nailfresh? might be worth you trying to get a cheap brush with synthetic bristles.
I've not got any ideas as to how to get the brush back into shape, sorry mate x

p.s. I also use a Professionails gel brush to swipe my smile aswell as an old L+P brush, depending on how deep I want the smile to be... http://www.pronails.co.uk/brushes.htm it's the second brush down on the list, cost me about 8,00 €, it's got synthetic bristles and hasn't dried out (yet!)

ValencianNails said:
hmmm... because the bristles in that particular brush are Kolinsky, could they have dried out due to the acetone in the Nailfresh? might be worth you trying to get a cheap brush with synthetic bristles.
I've not got any ideas as to how to get the brush back into shape, sorry mate x

p.s. I also use a Professionails gel brush to swipe my smile aswell as an old L+P brush, depending on how deep I want the smile to be... http://www.pronails.co.uk/brushes.htm it's the second brush down on the list, cost me about 8,00 €, it's got synthetic bristles and hasn't dried out (yet!)

I didn't think about that....... The bristles don't feel dry, but then that doesn't mean much.

Is this the brush that you use "UV GEL BRUSH CRYSTAL SMALL" ? Which L&P brush do you use ?

Thanks for the info. Will have a look and see how much they are.

River

River said:
Is this the brush that you use "UV GEL BRUSH CRYSTAL SMALL" ?
yep, that's the one, don't know what they sell for in the UK though.
the L+P brush I use is one that was given to me by a tech that's not doing nails anymore, it's a ProStyler, an expensive way of swiping the smiles but the brush wasn't in the best condition when she gave it to me :rolleyes:
xx

I use this brush for my gel and polish smile sweeping http://www.beautyconcepts.co.uk/nails/detail.asp?ProductID=68 . It's the LCN connex brush and find it gets a nice flat edge to work with, and is nice and small. You could try placing your brush in gel and training it back into shape again. But I find that the brush I use to stipple my bonding layer in gives up after a while, the ends of the hairs start to curl! I guess they only have a certain life span. Ah RIP all the dead nail tech tech brushes lol!

Myabe some kind soul has an old l&p brush they could bequeath you!

Hi

In the past (when I used to clean my gel brushes), I came across this problem now and again.

Now I don't EVER clean my gel brushes with nail fresh, alcohol ... anything as they will (and did) damage the hairs .... natural or synthetic. After service I just wipe my brush on a lint free pad and put away in my case (AWAY from light) ... If I need to swipe my smile line I wipe my brush on a lint free wipe ... NO cleaner and swipe away.

When someone suggested I stop cleaning my brushes to eliminate the problem, I thought 'how ridiculous, how can I not clean my brush' ... but I will never clean one again.

In the meantime, it may help for you to saturate your brush in gel, wipe on the side of the pot and then smooth it into shape with your lint free pad.

Good luck !:hug:

the brush that River has problems with isn't used for gel (although it is a gel brush), it's used for swiping the smile lines on French Mani's.... :wink2:

try giving it a gentle shampoo with something mild like baby shampoo and then conditioner leave on for 5-10 minutes and then thoroughly rinse in warm water. blot out excess moisture and tweak into shape before you allow to dry naturally. ive reconditioned a few like this, it gives them a new lease of life.

angel fingers said:
try giving it a gentle shampoo with something mild like baby shampoo and then conditioner leave on for 5-10 minutes and then thoroughly rinse in warm water. blot out excess moisture and tweak into shape before you allow to dry naturally. ive reconditioned a few like this, it gives them a new lease of life.
that's fab... should be in the Tricks of the Trade thread :D

Latest posts

Back