Gel extensions on under 16s?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totallypolish'd

Reaction score
Hi geeks!

Just had a quick scan to see if this topic was around, didn't see it but Im on my phone.
Anyway, I rent a nail bar in a small salon and have had a few young girls pop in for gels...they were under 16. I have never do a set on them as I believe their nails would be too weak to hold the weight of the extension but my question is are there any other reasons why I shouldn't, some of the girls come in with their mothers to say they have their permission. I know my insurance doesn't cover it either but is there any scientific facts that I can add to my decline speil?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my RACERII using SalonGeek

I've done acrylics on my 14yro daughter and her friends with their parents permission BUT have always stated they will be short, to the tip of the finger longest, many actually want them shorter than this.

In your case you could always just put on your paperwork, website and wall that "treatments in this salon will not be done on the under 16s" or something like that then if some come in you only have to point it out to them that it's an ongoing rule.

Young girls under 16 look older nowdays,best check ID if you susspect they are too young. I've done a set of extensions on a 15 year old and she broke one nail 2nd day!They are very irresponsible ,they have weaker nails than adults and they have 'cuticles from hell'(as someone else on this site described them :D )
I would suggest gel polish instead,if they really want false looking nails,that might do the trick and there is not much danger for their nails.
xxx

My daughter is 15 and has had extensions a few times, they only ever lasted a few days and she picks them off!! Now I'm in the nail business and understand what damage that can do!
Last week I did her enhancements using Brisa for the 1st time- they've been on for a week and are still perfect- goes to show how fabulous Brisa is!!!:D
As far as my business is concerned I generally wouldn't do a set on anyone under 16... Maybe if they were nearly 16 and had a parent sign the form and didn't have them very long then I would but certainly not any younger!xx

i have had extensions since i was 13 years old, i have never been asked for parents permission etc across all the salons i have been to!!teenagers want nice nails too.....

having said that i would do teenage girls nails with their parents permission, they will go somewhere else if you do not do them and at the end of the day they are our future clients!!

also we have to remember that at 12 years old our children our going to proms etc and want to look nice. i have several 12 year old girls that come with their mums and have nails painted or minx etc

i have had extensions since i was 13 years old, i have never been asked for parents permission etc across all the salons i have been to!!teenagers want nice nails too.....

having said that i would do teenage girls nails with their parents permission, they will go somewhere else if you do not do them and at the end of the day they are our future clients!!

also we have to remember that at 12 years old our children our going to proms etc and want to look nice. i have several 12 year old girls that come with their mums and have nails painted or minx etc
I'm perfectly happy to paint younger girls' nails- just not enhancements when they're too young x

Yeah, I offer to paint them with normal polish or gel polish and do nail art etc but I just feel like they are too young for extensions.

Im hoping to do a conversion course for brisa and do a shellac course also because I know they're the top of the line, quality products.

I was horrified the other day, an 11 year old came in with stilleto nails painted blood red and wanted refills :O

Thanks everyone for your replies! X

I was horrified the other day, an 11 year old came in with stilleto nails painted blood red and wanted refills :O

Thanks everyone for your replies! X

NO WAY!!! That's awful:eek:

I've recently don't my Brisa conversion...and only today I've booked to do the Shellac and Spa-tacular courses. I'm hooked on CND :D

What happened to the days when a ''child' Was left as a child''

STILLETO'S my lord whatever next nip and tuck:irked::grr::rolleyes:

You just cant get the kids today

Last edited:
stilettos is a step too far!!

i always just had french and quite short as i bit my nails and just wanted to break the habit.....

Check your insurance. You may not be covered to treat under 16s.

I've been having mine done since i was 14 and my nails are strong and healthy....all be it the first few times i had them done i naively went to a local NSS so my nails did get bait buggered up from misuse of drills...but as soon as i found a decent nail tech they were soon looking beautiful again :) my mum came with me every time i had them done but never had to sign a disclaimer. id check your insurance tho to be safe but no harm in it for the client. :)
x

Check your insurance. You may not be covered to treat under 16s.

I checked my insurance recently and was shocked to find that I could treat over 14's (I am insured through The Guild)

I know already that my insurance wouldn't cover me so they are the two reasons I wouldn't do them but Im wondering if there is anything about the chemical makeup of gel that would be potentially harmful to someone under 16..the reason I ask is as I said Ive had parents say they give total permission and take full responsibility etc. but Id like to have a bit more to say then insurance purposes and the fact that their nails may be too weak.

Latest posts

Back