Gel help for beginner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkat

Reaction score
I have been doing gel for a few months. I have tried several brand, Nailite, Christrio, Chic Nails and now The Edge.
I have found some problems with all of them, which means the problem is actually with... me.
I prep well, with white block all over, and scrubbing prep over the nails, but the gel always lift (either form tips and from natural overlay), occasionally from the entire nail, most time it lift from the sides.
Also, just after curing, when wiping off the sticky residue, with Nailite and Christrio, and sometimes Chic Nails, the gel comes off nearly entirely and I have to reapply.
The problem is much worse when I apply gel to white tips, it just shrink away at the very tip. Are white tip any different in composition and could it be the reason?
My lamp is 6w, and I leave the nails 3-5 minutes for curing. The lamp is not old, about 3 months!

I am getting a bit down now, because I have tried many products and spent a lot of money, but still can't find the right solution.

Thank you for any advice
Chris

i think your lamp is too low powered, you need a 9 watt lamp. also you may not be removing all the non living tissue from the nail plate.

check if you are applying to close to the cuticle.. as soon as product touches skin it will lift..

also different gel products will need different watt lamps.
for example if I wanted to try a Briza or Akzentz product in my lamp that i got for LCN, I would have to check the wattage required for the gel first to make sure it will cure properly.

hey there,
i would use a file that was more coarse than the white block,either a 100 or 180 grit.make sure you're not touching the skin near the side walls,the gel will lift for sure.and maybe go for a higher wattage.i use a 9w.not too sure about the white tips,i've never used them.but try using a regular nail tip.
good luck!

I think the problem is pretty obvious. If you're using a 6-watt lamp for gels that need a 9-watt to cure, they're not going to cure properly and therefore have lifting.

In regards to the white tip, make sure you're buffing the surface before applying the gel or it won't adhere properly.

What gel system came with your 6-watt lamp? Are you having lifting problems with that system as well?

Thank you very much for your replies.

Ww will try prepping differently!

Chris and Karla

koolkat said:
I have been doing gel for a few months. I have tried several brand, Nailite, Christrio, Chic Nails and now The Edge.Did you have any initial training with any of these?
I have found some problems with all of them, which means the problem is actually with... me. could be your prep, your application or your lamp
I prep well, with white block all over, and scrubbing prep over the nails,sounds like not enough maybe but the gel always lift (either form tips and from natural overlay), occasionally from the entire nail, most time it lift from the sides. I would pick a reputable supplier who offers training with there brand.
Also, just after curing, when wiping off the sticky residue, with Nailite and Christrio, and sometimes Chic Nails, the gel comes off nearly entirely and I have to reapply.Sounds like under curing / or no curing at all !
The problem is much worse when I apply gel to white tips, it just shrink away at the very tip. Are white tip any different in composition and could it be the reason?are you 'capping the gel?' ie pulling it over the free edge?
My lamp is 6w, and I leave the nails 3-5 minutes for curing. The lamp is not old, about 3 months! USE THE LAMP RECOMMENDED BY the INDIVIDUALL BRAND...most are 9 watt

I am getting a bit down now, because I have tried many products and spent a lot of money, but still can't find the right solution.save yourself money and a headache PICK ONE SYSTEM and get the training that goes with it.

Thank you for any advice
Chris

Chris, if your trying to do this without ever having any training you will hit problem after problem after problem.

Go back to basics and get yourself on some training matey - that is your KEY to making it work !

AMb xx:hug:

Chris,
You didn't answer my questions...

What system came with your 6-watt lamps? Are you having lifting problems with it?

I trained in Nailite and The Edge (two different courses). Nailite we used 6 w for the training and sold a 6w lamp. Christrio, I emailed them and was told 6 w is ok, cure 5 minutes. The Edge I used 6w at the course. Chic nails told me 6w was ok as well....that's way I am puzzled!

Chris

Well, if your lifting is mostly from the sides, I would say either your prep isn't good enough in those areas or the gel is touching the cuticle. When you scrub the nails with a prep product, really scrub it in there like you're trying to remove red polish and pay particular attention to the sides. A lot of dust, debris and oil can get trapped in there that you may not see.

Make sure you also leave a tiny margin between the product and eponychium. File it flush to the nail and you shouldn't have any lifting if that's done properly.

Perhaps you need a quick refresher course. The nail business is about continuing education so even if you just finished, sometimes it's nice to get a refresher done. When you're doing your training, it can be a little overwhelming to remember everything.

HTH
Carmen

Latest posts

Back