Gel infill / buffing tips on speed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missvain

Reaction score
I did my first set of infill for a friend (she was my model for gel application :D). There was not much lifting, only some at cuticle area. But still, it took quite some time to file away the lifted part and thinning the old layer slightly before applying new product. Very very tedious.

I also buffed off one gel nail on my left hand (ran out of fingers to practice on). it took me 1 hour!! How am I going to remove a full set of gel nails in the future? GOsh.

Is it normally this tedious for gel infills and removal? I wonder if I should also consider training to use an efile.. :rolleyes:

Edit * I forgot to mention that I am training with ezflow and using Gel It system :D

what grit file are you using.

Dont worry it will get quicker. I used to take an hour to blend down and prep for an infil, but now only take 20 to 30 minutes. Try using a 100/180 file and hold and use the file as suggested by Gigi on the tutorials on here. When I was slow I purchased an E file and what a waste of money that was, by the time I paid for the file and the training there was no change from £500. I was so slow with the file becaused I didn't want to cause any damage that it was quicker to do it by hand. Now the E file is gathering dust in a box and is never used. Hth

Angel Fingers: I am using a 150 grit file, and when nearing the natural nail, i switch to the 180, and then a 240.

Dids: Sigh.. yes, just watching the video with tammy taylor using the efile made my hair stand! I am a scaredy-cat haha. How long do you usually take to remove a full set of gel nails?

Remember that although you may be using a low grit file like a 150, if it is old and well worn it has about as much use as a buffer and so will take you ages. I use a new file with a full removal to make the job quicker - be careful though cos those things are danged sharp and so much easier to nip a client's skin if you get over zealous.

Also are you working too thick as obviouly the more product you have to file off, the longer it will take.

I found when I first started removing gels I was so nervous that I was going to over file the nail. Now I know exactly what I am doing and work a lot quicker, I don't have to stop every few seconds to check Im not on the nail plate, I can tell very easily what is nail and what is gel. It just takes practice .. as always!

missvain said:
Dids: Sigh.. yes, just watching the video with tammy taylor using the efile made my hair stand! I am a scaredy-cat haha. How long do you usually take to remove a full set of gel nails?

It really depends on my client. I know that sounds strange but quite a few of my clients have a lot of nail art such as rhinestones, glitter and dried flowers, so the gel is thicker to make sure these are encased. These can take about an hour to remove including a mini manicure, but someone with no nail art so just a nice thin enhancement can be done in half the time. I agree with Sassy that its best to use a new file for this. But I must just say that I hardly ever do a complete removal as I find a rebalance makes them look like a new set so its usually only if the client decides they no longer want enhancements that I would do this.

Ok, I've made it a point to note down the time I take everytime I practice on someone. Hopefully, I see a s-t-e-a-d-y decline in the time taken :D

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try out my next infill with a brand new file as suggested :)

A wee tip on files, when you use a new one, dull the edges first with an old file, it will defo help prevent the old paper cuts!

Latest posts

Back