Gel nail thickness

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctonra

Reaction score
Hello- I'm still struggling with the thickness of my gel enhancements! I think I finally have my application good- nails seem natural & strong-- as soon as I add nail art they are too thick! What am I doing wrong? A typical simple design I usually do is after finish filling the gel I will apply a very very thin gel polish color- cure then I'll apply a 2nd thin gel polish color & ad a couple of VERY tiny drops of gel polish colors & swirl for a water marble like effect- let it level & cure & then seal with hard gel top coat---and it seems like added an entire nail on top thick- sometimes wavy- uneven at times--- I've watched videos and can't figure why my nails are too thick?????
I even tried s Base coat of hard gel- then do my design-then builder gel - then finish file & I seem to end up filing some color off or glitter :-( !!!!!
Should I NOT use gel polish? I think its best so the design is cured & dry before sealing???
And if I try a simple French I get the ski jump/ bump on edge!
Grrrrrrrrr !
Thanks!

I think if you use gel polish as second layer you don't need hard gel at the end cuz it is need a lot practice to do it even . I think just use top coat finish it . But if you want you can use hard clear builder gel but need more practice get it quit even before cure it and file it a bit on the top . Gel isn't like acrylic you can file down lot to correct your work . Anyway it just my opinion . I am only trainee at nail but I hope it can help you . Xx

I have tried UV gel polish top coat * that's not really adding to my thickness- I believe its the gel polish-unless my gel application is still too thick???

I have tried UV gel polish top coat * that's not really adding to my thickness- I believe its the gel polish-unless my gel application is still too thick???

No if you want file down it got to be builder gel not top coat

Hummm maybe there's s misunderstanding- I've tried this several ways-

1- thin base layer of hard gel- cure-I apply color of gel polish-cure- 2nd layer & apply small dots of different gel polish colors & swirl - level out- cure- then builder gel - cure- cleanse-file-shape-buff -- I had areas that I filed into colors- and at this point nail seems too thick bulky-- I should be applying hard gel top coat / or gel polish top coat (both same thickness top coat----

2-base-cure-builder- cure cleanse- file-shape-buff- apply gel polish- cure- apply gel polish- apply dots of colors gel polish-swirl- let level- cure- apply hard gel top coat or gel polish top coat --- nails seem too thick/ bulky - just not natural looking--

Wish I could add pictures

Thanks!!

I think you done all the right thing as I said it is not easy do gel . You need more precise cannot file it too much . Hope you get it at the end . I also like do gel so lovely watch on youtu what they can do . Took me some times to get it . I am sure you will get it in the end . Xx

When I use shellac with gels I always prep, tip, base layer...and then build the nail completely first before applying my shellac...I never put builder gel over a polish...maybe if you try that then put your gel polish on top it won't be as bulky? You can file down any thickness without touching polish then...I did a full set of hard gels then used shellac on top they didn't look bulky at all looked very natural x hope that helps..x

Who did you train with Ctonra?
Have they given you steps to follow for Gel enhancements, coloured Gel and Gel polish?

To me it sounds like you are confusing coloured gel for gel polish.

Coloured gel is hard gel like a builder clear.
Gel polish is a soft gel applied like a varnish.
(Please no pedants here, I'm just trying to explain the gel differences to OP) 😼

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi- in USA- we don't train with a company to use product- I'm a licensed nail tech. I understand the difference in gels- I typically use a "brush on gel polish (soak off if you will) on top of hard gel- I'm just thinking that perhaps my hard gel is still thicker then needed & then when I apply a coat of gel polish is when it really starts getting toooooo thick.

In school we breezed through acrylic & gel - the focus being basic practices. I worked in a salon" alone" & with experienced nail techs- the first salon with another tech never did gel & did do acrylic but wasn't busy at all....next nail salon with experienced techs was a nightmare- they used star gel - and I couldn't do anything right there & I felt like they weren't even using their gel correctly according to MFG instructions that I printed- they told me I was wrong & do it their way because it works & all I had was problem clients- stressing me out- I left went to a full Service salon & I'm Actually working with a girl I went to school with-- this salon didn't offer hard gel until I got there.....I have a few clients doing hard gel & a few on the side - all happy- however I know that the gel needs to be thinner!

Products--- I'm a SAMPLE Queen (LOL) I HAVE so many brands- but I'm really liking just a few-- Light Elegance is a fav. Artistic Rock Hard LED gel is a fav. I like Akzentz but find their "natural gel" doesn not self level enough & causes me more filing however their other ptoducts are fab & they are coming out with LED hard gel VERY soon! And I just tried Christrio Basic One & loved it--- in all this I'm trying to get my application time down too!!!!

Thanks for helping!!

Hi- in USA- we don't train with a company to use product- I'm a licensed nail tech. I understand the difference in gels- I typically use a "brush on gel polish (soak off if you will) on top of hard gel- I'm just thinking that perhaps my hard gel is still thicker then needed & then when I apply a coat of gel polish is when it really starts getting toooooo thick.

In school we breezed through acrylic & gel - the focus being basic practices. I worked in a salon" alone" & with experienced nail techs- the first salon with another tech never did gel & did do acrylic but wasn't busy at all....next nail salon with experienced techs was a nightmare- they used star gel - and I couldn't do anything right there & I felt like they weren't even using their gel correctly according to MFG instructions that I printed- they told me I was wrong & do it their way because it works & all I had was problem clients- stressing me out- I left went to a full Service salon & I'm Actually working with a girl I went to school with-- this salon didn't offer hard gel until I got there.....I have a few clients doing hard gel & a few on the side - all happy- however I know that the gel needs to be thinner!

Products--- I'm a SAMPLE Queen (LOL) I HAVE so many brands- but I'm really liking just a few-- Light Elegance is a fav. Artistic Rock Hard LED gel is a fav. I like Akzentz but find their "natural gel" doesn not self level enough & causes me more filing however their other ptoducts are fab & they are coming out with LED hard gel VERY soon! And I just tried Christrio Basic One & loved it--- in all this I'm trying to get my application time down too!!!!

Thanks for helping!!

Sounds a whole different world to what we have in the UK. Best that some USA geeks help you out on this one.

Collage in uk is the same , can be non brand focused .

There are trainers for brands in the USA , if you want to learn how to use a product the way it is intended then contact the company and find out about there educators .
Simples.

Latest posts

Back