Gel nails and foils-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel nails

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping someone can help me...I have been trying out some nail art using foils over a gel colour with a top coat over it. I love how they look but within a couple of days the foil is rubbing off the tips :( I prep the nails as usual...cuticles, buff, deydrate, Base coat, 2 coats of colour, then remove sticky layer, let dry, apply foil adhesive and wait until clear, apply foil, then top coat (tried 2 top coats aswell). I am using gellux at the moment but thinking about trying some other brands. Anyone know where I'm going wrong? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20151219_001357.jpg
    20151219_001357.jpg
    1,013.5 KB · Views: 143
I don't use Gellux, but if they have a clear, try a layer of that over the foil and then 1 x top coat.

I use CND and use a layer of Clearly Pink before top coating.

Also, I would double-check that you're fully capping the free edge [emoji106]

Hope that helps xx

Weird :(
I was going to say try top coating twice but you already do.
Works for me but I use Gelish x

I don't use Gellux, but if they have a clear, try a layer of that over the foil and then 1 x top coat.

I use CND and use a layer of Clearly Pink before top coating.

Also, I would double-check that you're fully capping the free edge [emoji106]

Hope that helps xx

I will definitely try that! I don't have a clear just Base or top coat but I have a almost clear with slight shimmer so will try that. Always make sure I cap the edges but will be extra thorough when I next do foils thanks for your help ☺

Weird :(
I was going to say try top coating twice but you already do.
Works for me but I use Gelish x

Hmm I know maybe i should try a different brand with foils. Thanks

Can you not foil straight onto the gellux sticky layer, leaving out the glue? Works for me with shellac x

Can you not foil straight onto the gellux sticky layer, leaving out the glue? Works for me with shellac x

same for me too. I've never needed to use adhesive with shellac or Gelish. x

Doesn't seem to stick to the tacky layer on gellux :( x

Make sure that the top coat actually covers all of the foil.

All foils are a bit different. Some stick well others aren't as good.

Applying foil glue, curing and then applying the foil can provide a good adhesive technique overall. However, if it's going on ok anyway and coming off at a later time then I think a thicker application of topcoat is worth doing.

Latest posts

Back