Gel on top of acrylic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaztotheMax

Reaction score
Today I got my nails done and got tips, acrylic, then gel on top. I guess I wasn't paying attention too much til the gel was put on. In the past I would get just a gel set, and when i noticed that that the process was a little different than before, I was told a lot of girls like this way. Is this common to have gel over top of acrylic?

yes, a finshing gloss gel on top of acrylic keeps them nice and shiny till your next visit.

So then they wouldn't be considered a gel set right? Just an acrylic with a gel overlay? What kind of difference is there then between a gel set vs. acrylic with a gel overlay?

alot of techs apply gel over the top of acrylic to make em glossy ....... or because they are too lazy to buff to a shine
i hate infilling a new client with a gel overlay, i gotta buff all that crap off

I love the gel over the top because it doesn't go dull like nail polish can. It also makes the nail acetone proof to a degree as long as the acetone doesn't get to the tip underneath.

A lot of clients I have had in the past had also reported less cases of lifting if the gel slightly overlayed the acrylic at the cuticle.

I think it is worth it just to help prevent lift. And the shine is excellent too.

Nerida

I always use gel over l & p and when it comes to infils they are still looking as good as new.

Love

was it a new technician you went to? Maybe she prefers l&p to gel, but still likes the gel top coat.

Latest posts

Back