Gel overlays - what are they exactly?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JulieJ

Reaction score
Hi,
Excuse me for sounding really dumb here but a lady asked me for gel overlays with tips and I'm not sure what she means?
I offer Shellac manicures, I don't currently offer any gel/acrylic enhancements.
Please could you explain the different enhancements available to I know what clients mean.
Thanks x

She means a Gel enhancement/extension. An overlay is what is put on after the sculptures are done xx

I've just had another lady ask if I do gel polish. Then ask if I do the strengthened first? It goes on then filed down and clear gel polish goes on top. Please help, I don't know what she means. I'm concerned that I'm turning down clients because I don't think I do what they're asking for. Should I do an enhancement course? What's the most requested enhancements by clients please? thanks x

If you are only qualified in Shellac manicures you cannot offer anything but that ( or similar gel polish but check your insurance )

What these people are asking for falls under Gel Enhancements and yes you need to take a course for that

In a nutshell

NNO - Natural nail Overlay . Normally a strengthening gel is applied to natural nail ( no tips ) and then if required a colour gel/polish can be applied as well

Gel Extensions - A Tip is applied to the natural nail, blended and then a builder gel or similar is applied then colour if required. Or forms could be used to 'sculpt' the nail

Not every person is suitable for just a gel polish as the natural nail needs to be strong.If you are having requests for this type of service then it may be worth your while looking into doing a course for this instead of having to turn away new customers

I couldn't have said it better !

I find a lot of beauty salons do offer shellac manicures but don't do nail extensions as that is a whole other side or industry on my opinion.
I have lots friends who are therapists and don't enjoy nails and visa versa.
Stick to what your good at I believe.

Of you already use cnd shellac stick to the same brand. Usually brisa lite by cnd is good combo.

At the end of the days it's up to you if you want to add enhancement to your treatment menu.
Nails is a whole new world and quite addictive, once you start you usually keep going !

Beauty at your finger tips!

Brisa lite is a fantastic product, I use it on myself and clients. Ring S2, they're really helpful, especially if you did your Shellac training with them. Kelly W is a great teacher. Hope you get sorted soon :)

Thanks for all your replies. I do offer Brisa lite. I don't think I want to do enhancements yet, there are other courses I would like to add first. I just didn't want to make appointment for a client thinking they only wanted Shellac and get there and find they wanted some sort of enhancement or material using. I need to find out what all the different terms that clients use actually mean. x

Latest posts

Back